AIS Internet access upgrades/changes ?

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » October 2, 2013, 12:42 pm

Anyone experience AIS Internet access upgrades/changes ?
I have been accessing the internet via GPRS/Edge on my Samsung for over a year. I have been using and I am still using the Promotion that gives you 3G/EDGE unlimited ( *133*24#). On 9/30/2013 My internet access connection would drop in and out erratically. My signal strength was 4 bars so I was sure something was going on with AIS. On 10/1/2013 I could not get any internet access at all. The next day while my wife and I were at the Big C and we took my Samsung phone to the vendor that we purchased it from at the top of the back escalator that takes you into the food court. My wife explained the problem to young lady at the counter and she agreed to help us. She got into the Samsung network setup menu and manually entered network settings from the little blue book that was on her counter.
I am now set for Network 52003, Mobile Network Type HSDPA. I am now getting typical download speeds of 130Kbs sometimes more at home. Before all that I could get was Edge with a download speed 20Kbs on a good day.
Anybody else have a similar experience with AIS ?
I live about 26 Km east of Udon Thani going toward Nong Han.

"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » October 2, 2013, 4:26 pm

Sounds interesting.
What's the package, limited to 5 gig or unlimited?
Also cost please

Thanks

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 5, 2013, 11:12 am

Had a simular problem WIFI worked fine here at house, but no 3G connection, and this morn called AIS (good english) and they sent me instructions by SMS on a fix. Worked fine. Do notice that the connection thingee is displaying a "H" but the whole thing is beyond me. :D

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » October 5, 2013, 3:57 pm

The " H " stands for HSDPA ( High-Speed Downlink Packet Access ) Mobile Network Type. My download and access speed increased by 10 fold after the upgrade. You can find more info by Googling HSDPA. It does switch back and forth sometimes between ( H - HSDPA) and ( E - EDGE ) now and then; but for less than a minute or for several seconds. Most of the time it is on ( H )
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » October 5, 2013, 8:05 pm

We just finished skyping with our daughter in North Carolina for 30 Minutes. Beautiful video and audio.
No drop outs no dithering. I am using my Samsung Y as a hotspot for my laptop. It works great.

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » October 5, 2013, 8:38 pm

TicToc wrote:Sounds interesting.
I've been reading up on this. HSDPA is an upgraded 3G protocol, sometimes called Turbo 3G or 3,5G. The upgrade is made in the base station and not on the whole network. This means it's a local upgrade and there is no guarantee that AIS can provide HSDPA from the base station closest to your home (unfortunatly).
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » October 5, 2013, 10:02 pm

Sorry but none of the suppliers are any good to me unless they can start doing an unlimited package and at the moment as i understand it 'unlimited' packages are only with cable/landline suppliers like 3BB,TOT.not on the WiFi suppliers.
Hope that makes sense.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » October 6, 2013, 7:42 am

[quote="Alchai"][quote="TicToc"]Sounds interesting.
[/quote]
I've been reading up on this. HSDPA is an upgraded 3G protocol, sometimes called Turbo 3G or 3,5G. The upgrade is made in the base station and not on the whole network. This means it's a local upgrade and there is no guarantee that AIS can provide HSDPA from the base station closest to your home (unfortunatly).[/quote]

Correct: I lost my internet access when the local upgrade was made. I did not realize what happened until I saw the new settings the lady made at the Big C made on my Samsung cell phone.
Wi-Fi and 3G are two different technologies.
Wi-Fi which follows IEEE 802.11 standards are commonly called Wi-Fi or WLAN networks,
3G networks are wide-area cellular telephone networks which provide High-speed Internet access and video telephony to 3G Network subscribers. IEEE 802.11 networks are shorter range, high-bandwidth networks primarily developed for data. 3G is part of the GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications ) standard which includes packet data transport via GPRS (General Packet Radio Services) and EDGE (Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution or EGPRS).

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”