Downed U.S. Plane Leads to U.S. Tourism

Information & Travel
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 13, 2014, 9:37 pm

I wasn't sure about the subject. Let bygones be bygones comes to mind. Nevertheless, in this video one can view numerous Pathet Lao attempts to down a U.S. plane that might have been one of those that made landlocked Laos the most bombed country in history. Eventually, the jubilant Lao soldiers and villagers achieve success against 'Amerlica'. However, times change and the video ends with happy U.S. tourists visiting one of the main attractions in Viang Chan (Vientiane).

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

LilRed
udonmap.com

Post by LilRed » April 14, 2014, 9:40 am

LYM:

Were the tourists identified as "Americans"? (I don't speak Lao...)

LR

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 14, 2014, 6:54 pm

No, I am using poetic license to make the subject fit the video, which is a no-no. I knew someone would catch it, and it had to be you. 555+

On the other hand, there are many U.S. tourists in Lao these days as well as many from other western countries that had problems with Laos during the Vietnam war. 'Let Bygones Be Bygones' would have been a better subject title.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 14, 2014, 7:39 pm

I'd be willing to bet that very few tourists are aware (or care) that Laos is one of only 5 remaining communist countries. Four if you strike North Korea from the list (I think they qualify as most Bizarrist). That said, the number of hammers and sickles I've seen in the news the past few weeks is a bit of déjà vu.......wonder where Putin will strike next.
Wonder when Laos and Cuba are going to come out of their shell? China seems more out of the shell than in, and Vietnam is slowly moving in the same direction. And then, again, there's Putin! Sigh!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 14, 2014, 10:03 pm

Good points. North Korea reminds me of Mao's China, and I think Laos and Vietnam are moving in the same direction as China. However, in all three countries the Communist Party dictates the policies. Elections, except within the party, do not matter. Cuba seems to be emerging as well as can be seen by the massive numbers of Canadians that travel there every year for the Sun and Cuban girls.

LilRed
udonmap.com

Post by LilRed » April 15, 2014, 8:15 am

LYM:

IMHO, your views and discussion are interesting.

But, your subjects, lad... Leave me feelin I took da bait...

BR

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 15, 2014, 6:42 pm

Yes, I see what you mean. I thought the subject would get more view with that title rather than a more pedantic one. The subject title is really awkward. 55+

Anyway, it is nice to see that the enemies of the past can be friends nowadays. This is not to say that all Lao were anti-U.S. or anti-western in the past. They had their admirers, supporters and clients among the Royal Lao military, an individual, Hmong, and government leaders and bureaucrats. 'Even the try as I might to keep Laos neutral' Souvanna Phouma swung to their side at the end, but, he did not have much choice by that time.

Somehow or another the person at the Head of the Government in Luang Prabang at the time was changed by an unknown hand to 'an individual'. 555+

Let's see if I can write Queen Elizabeth 2nd, the Head of State in Canada, Britain et al.

Return to “Laos”