Flash Drive.

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Flash Drive.

Post by Wee Jimmy » February 4, 2017, 9:20 am

Have a visitor here with us looking to buy a 1 Terabyte flash drive in Udon. Anyone know where to buy and cost.
Thanks.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Flash Drive.

Post by BobHelm » February 4, 2017, 9:29 am

You sure that he is looking for a flash drive??
That would be a USB drive & I think that the largest you are liable to get anywhere around here is a 256 GB & they would probably have to order that - cost about 3,000 baht.
A conventional, external 1TB hard drive will cost about 2,000 baht.

Anywhere showing the Advice sign (like 108), JIB or Banana in the Plaza would be my go to places. The prices between the various outlets don't vary much unless you are lucky that they have some sort of special on the item..

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » February 4, 2017, 9:34 am

Sent you a PM.

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » February 4, 2017, 10:12 am

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » February 4, 2017, 10:18 am

Thanks.. We saw that one on Lazada but It would be better if he aits until he goes back home just incase he has a problem with it. However I might gedt one for myself.

Thanks again.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 4, 2017, 10:27 am

Yes, thanks for that Tic Toc.
Learn something new every day... :D
None of the computer suppliers in Udon are offering anything like that...

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » February 4, 2017, 10:37 am

Surprising what Lazada sell,but a lot of stuff has no warranty and can take up to a month for delivery if
being imported. On the delivery side also,i ordered a part and DHL said insufficient address but 3 other couriers for Lazada have found it ok,also they could have phoned me.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » February 5, 2017, 6:56 am

Ebay has similar @ 2TB. around $20.00 Aussie dollar

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/512GB-Stainl ... gQXRIldHLA

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » February 5, 2017, 4:21 pm

I would not recommend this EBAY seller.There are many more.
Always click their Feedback score and go through the feedbacks, or click "Negitives" and it will show all of them. This seller has a very low rating. They will be canned by EBAY soon if they don't start turning better ratings.
I would have ordered 2 of these, had I not looked at the feedbacks.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » February 6, 2017, 5:26 pm

95% seems ok to me.
Anyhow, all covered by money back via Paypal.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » February 6, 2017, 9:03 pm

They say, if something sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Here is a 2TB Kingston flash drive on Amazon for
$3,169 US... getting a comparable device for $20 seems highly unlikely... but I'd certainly be happy to be wrong.
Do please report back your results after buying one of these because if they actually work, for that price I'd be ecstatic.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-DataTra ... lash+drive

an example of one of these products... please check the customer reviews...

https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Drive-Memo ... lash+drive

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » February 6, 2017, 9:17 pm

Oops, link was to a 1TB Kingston for $3,169 US... so if one extrapolates... say a cool $6,000 US for a 2TB drive from a reputable manufacturer... hmmmm :)
The star rating on Amazon for most of these devices is 2 or 3 stars out of five... I wonder if the people giving the thumbs up have actually tried storing more than say 128GB on their drive before giving their review? hmmm

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » February 6, 2017, 9:38 pm

This video is a laugh... please indulge yourself...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xJfC3jCPXM
marked 1TB "Sony" actually 2GB USB 1.1 ?

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » February 7, 2017, 1:00 pm

OK, so I put in an order for the 512GB thumb drive from this EBAY seller in Chinee. They posted it as shipped. Now the order says this:: 512GB Stainless USB 2.0 Flash Drive W/ Keychain High Speed Memory Stick Thumb
( 252663793673 )

Storage Capacity: 128GB

Ordered 512gb, now it is reduced to 128gb???
Waiting for their response.
Also, reading the feedbacks, it seems only the Germans or Russians are smart enough to test it as soon as it arrives.
Most will never view the total capacity from the "Computer" view and most will never put more than a few GB in it.
Also I read "Is Corrupted" and (the 2 TB) "will only hold 1.2 TB".
No where else do I see any other 2 TB thumb drives. Besides, who really needs 2 TB on a thumb drive? They get moisture, other problems and have to be formatted (you loose everything). If I do get a 128Gb for $9.99, will be happy with that.
Here is a good site for big SD Cards out of Austrlia: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-SD-Card-3 ... 2663793673

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 7, 2017, 2:01 pm

felixcat wrote:Besides, who really needs 2 TB on a thumb drive? They get moisture, other problems and have to be formatted (you loose everything).
And these maladies don't affect smaller capacity thumb drives? Am I missing something here?

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » February 7, 2017, 2:26 pm

Flash drives are not expensive hardware that requires international shopping.

Even 1TB ones are available cheap at Central.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » February 7, 2017, 4:04 pm

jimjay wrote:Flash drives are not expensive hardware that requires international shopping.

Even 1TB ones are available cheap at Central.
Have you purchased one before? If so, did you actually write 1TB of data and verify the data was stored correctly? Perhaps they are the Kingston units? At least a few hundred US dollars? Some of these videos on Youtube show very elaborate fraud schemes... so brazen.. Sony copyright logo, but not the actual Sony CW logo. MS Windows logo but not the correct logo etc etc. It seems they go to great lengths to con people and are getting away with it. I don't see why these online retailers allow these con games to go on but they do seem to.

Here is an article from July of last year. At that point in time there was apparently only one manufacturer of 1TB flash drives. That was Kingston and that article shows $700 US price tag for it. Then look at the physical size of the Kingston flash drive. It is very large. They have to pack multiple chips in there to get 1TB of storage.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... sh-drives/

The only way in hell somebody could buy the chips required for 1TB of storage, build a typical sized USB flash drive, and sell it for $20 US is that they are buying chips that past basic function tests but failed AC tests (at speed) and were sold that way.... so maybe if you used the device in a room that was 0C they might work :roll:

caveat emptor

Truly, I'd be very happy to see a working example of a $20 1TB USB flash drive for sale.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » February 7, 2017, 4:07 pm

We are talking about thumb drives here correct? Not SSD drives?

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » February 8, 2017, 12:57 pm

So let me respond.
I have lost many, many pics and vids from years of travel to "every state in US, Costa Rica, Phillipines, Israel, and many travels to Thaiand.
Why would you put all this info on a Thumb drive? I would not. As I teach my wife who has a bizz online and takes many, many pics (hours of work), make at least 3 copies of everything.
I lost all my Mon, Dad, brother and sister pics....do you want to also?

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 8, 2017, 1:41 pm

Udon Map wrote:And these maladies don't affect smaller capacity thumb drives? Am I missing something here?
felixcat wrote:So let me respond.
I have lost many, many pics and vids from years of travel to "every state in US, Costa Rica, Phillipines, Israel, and many travels to Thaiand.
Why would you put all this info on a Thumb drive? I would not. As I teach my wife who has a bizz online and takes many, many pics (hours of work), make at least 3 copies of everything.
I lost all my Mon, Dad, brother and sister pics....do you want to also?
The way your previous post was worded, I thought that you were talking about problems which affect only the 2 gig thumb drives. So you're talking about all USB thumb drives?

I've used thumb drives for years and never experienced any problems, let alone the catastrophic loss of data you've described. I suspect that if they were regularly or frequently unreliable, they wouldn't be nearly as ubiquitous as they are. How many times did that happen to you?

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”