I HAVE FAMILY - Driver/Translator needed....any suggestions?

General Udon Thani topics only!
lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » August 10, 2006, 6:50 pm

briang wrote:Sorry about the massive URL's, I cant seem to post any images.
Try this when posting long url's:

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.udonmap.com/]Visit Udonmap.com![/url]
This will look like:

Visit Udonmap.com!

Or right click on the image and copy the image location i.e. http://mc.multimap.com/cs/mapinfo_th//M ... 00H400.gif
and the wrap it between image tags like this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://mc.multimap.com/cs/mapinfo_th//M45/Y75/M45590Y7540S100W700H400.gif[/img]

briang
udonmap.com

Post by briang » August 10, 2006, 7:29 pm

Thanks Lee, I wondered how the 'img' thingy worked :P

J
udonmap.com

NEW DETAILS !

Post by J » August 14, 2006, 10:31 am

I have finally narrowed it down to ONE area!
I need to go to a villiage between Nong Bua Lamphu and Nong Sang pronunced Ku Kuansoi. Take a look if you know the area.

I need to get a taxi driver that speeks English and can translate.
Can anyone suggest a taxi driver? I will be staying at the Charoen Hotel starting August 23.

What do you guys think of renting a car? This is my first time to Thailand, do you think that I could adjust to Thai traffic/driving? I have driven in the US for 16 years and only hold a US drivers license.

Thanks for the help, I have posted the updated map/info at:
http://seekageek.com/thai.htm

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » August 14, 2006, 10:36 am

Twan in the lobby of your hotel.

J
udonmap.com

Post by J » August 14, 2006, 10:39 am

So you think Twan would be able to come with me for an entire day? Is this common practice? If so that is great. I just assumed it may be harder to get someone to be there all day.

What is a fair price to utilize an English speaking Taxi for all day? I don't expect specific prices. I just was wondering a ballpark estimation.

Are there translation services in Udon? Or maybe any of you Ex-Pats that wanna go on a little trek?

By the way Thanks Ray23.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » August 14, 2006, 10:43 am

By the way that is about a two hour drive the road between Udon and Nong Bua lampu, it is in a construction update. That is a very dangerous road to drive on. Not one I would suggest to a driver from the states with no experience with Thai driving.

Unless you can speak Thai which I believe you can't your not going to find this place. it's to small. Be happy with your driver on this trip would be my recommendation.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » August 14, 2006, 10:53 am

Ok I give up I don't like to get involved in people business, but you insist so I called him.

1,000 baht a day plus the the fuel he uses, that is car and driver.

If you want it tell me and when you coming and what day or days you want him. Give me your name and I will tell him your coming.

I have no idea what fuel costs will be since that really depends on how much driving you end up doing. Thats a close as I can get for you.

If someone knows of a better deal please tell this guy, I really don't like getting into business dealings between two people

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » August 14, 2006, 11:58 am

Gotta say, 1,000 baht for a car and driver all day is a pretty good deal. We rented a car (no driver) for a day from a rental place near the Chareon Hotel and it cost 1200 baht, plus the tank was empty when we got the car.

J, its good that you have narrowed down your search area. That will keep you from running all over the countryside chasing clues.

When you find your relatives, they may be surprised if you don't want to spend a day or two at their home.

By the way, it would be seen as a particularly thoughful act if you were to bring small gifts from the U.S. for your grandmother and two aunts. They could then spend the next several weeks talking to the neighbor ladies about their grandson/nephew and his thoughful gifts.

J
udonmap.com

Post by J » September 29, 2006, 7:18 am

Thank you Ray!
Twan the driver/translator was great.
I found my family!
The place ended up being called Kut Kwang Soi
Tiny place. I stayed in the villiage for 4 days.

If you want to see a pic:
http://www.seekageek.com/082-web.jpg

If you all get bored and wanna look at more pics:
http://www.seekageek.com/thailand2006.htm

Check out the clothes and TukTuk I bought for my family.
I was also able to donate things and money to the school I would have went to.

I will try and write up a summary of it all.
This trip changed my life, I am headed back July 07!

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » September 29, 2006, 8:12 am

Excellent news J, I look forward to reading all about it. I like the photos, there are some interesting ones in there.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 29, 2006, 9:15 am

Congratulations on your success. Surely one of the best things we have heard on this forum?
Welcome to your new world :)

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Post by Alagrl » September 29, 2006, 9:19 am

It looks like a fantastic experience -- congratulations!!

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 29, 2006, 10:49 am

:D :D What a heart warmer :!: :!: :!: We are very happy for you :D :D

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » September 29, 2006, 12:02 pm

Your very welcome, I really lookf forward to the full story.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » September 29, 2006, 12:39 pm

Thank you for the update. I had been wondering how you made out, and it is very gratifying and also a little bit surprising to read and see that you have met with such success. Congratulations are in order, so "congratulations!"

Browsing thorough the pictures, and seeing one of you (assuming that you are the guy with really, really short hair wearing the dark colored polo shirt) standing next to a slightly older fellow in a yellow shirt, it seems that there is some family resemblance between your two. Who are the guys in the picture.

BTW, your collection of pictures brings back memories of my first trip to Udon/Nong Kahi. What an experience you must have had.

Thank you for sharing your pictures with us.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Kudos to the forum gang

Post by FrazeeDK » October 3, 2006, 7:33 pm

gosh, this one was almost a tear jerker... What a great and heart-warming string.. It just shows a very very good side of all you guys in helping someone find their roots... Quite a relentless and fruitful search by the prodigal Isaan son....
Dave

J
udonmap.com

Part 1 - My Journey Home

Post by J » November 21, 2006, 10:29 am

First I would like to apologize for my slow response to this thread.
I had the best trip of my life; I just wish I had taken it earlier in my life (maybe when I first turned 18). I had absolutely no idea how much this trip would change my life. Before I left I had many expectations of what I wanted this trip to mean/do for me. Going and meeting my family for the first time in my life gave me a peace that I had never experienced in my life until now. The trip exceeded each and every expectation I had placed on it.

First there was getting ฝ ways around the world. That was the easy part. I left from Indiana and was in Bangkok within 21 hours. My Dad and I stayed @ the Airport Suites formerly the Comfort Inn Suites. It was adequate, but not nice at all. No frills at all, it was so close the BKK airport that jets shook the room with each takeoff.

We landed in Bangkok at 11 pm so we didn

J
udonmap.com

Part 2 - My Journey Home

Post by J » November 21, 2006, 11:14 am

So as every emotion I have was running through my mind, Twan uses his cell phone to call a number we got from several other calls we made, to a man that knew my Uncle. He said he could take us to my family

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 21, 2006, 11:36 am

:) :) Absolutely fantastic :!: :!: So happy for you :D :D

Garnet
udonmap.com

Spectcular!

Post by Garnet » November 21, 2006, 11:47 am

I'm in total agreement with Stan on this one! My own eyes were burning when I read this account.

Bit admit that I can be quite a sap at times....
Garnet & Jack

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”