Loy Krathong

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
valentine

Loy Krathong

Post by valentine » November 1, 2006, 8:35 pm

Just a reminder this Sunday, 5th November is Loy Krathong, full moon day.Big display in Nong Prajak of krathong floats and pretty maidens in traditional dress. A once a year occassion not to be missed. :wink:

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » November 1, 2006, 8:53 pm

Lee,
Will you be out with your camera on Loi Krathong Night, and post the pics for us poor souls stuck in Mundania?

:(

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 1, 2006, 9:41 pm

No worries mate, I'm sure I'll be able to take a few snaps when I'm there. Does anyone know what time the beauty pageant kicks off?

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Post by Alagrl » November 1, 2006, 10:14 pm

Photos, Lee -- please, please, please! Loy Krathong was my favorite part of our visit last year, but I had trouble with my new digital camera and its night-time settings -- great color, but a lot of "jiggle" with the aperture setting.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » November 1, 2006, 11:02 pm

GulfCoast,

You need to take a tripod, the camera will select a slow shutter speed for the exposure. Hence the streaks of light. Use a tripod and see the improvement.
You'll be amazed at the sharpness.

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Post by Alagrl » November 2, 2006, 6:21 am

Thanks...yes, I was kicking myself for not having bought a tripod when I realized how many night pics I ended up taking.

For anyone planning to photograph Loy Krathong, heed this advice!

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » November 3, 2006, 7:20 am

my second trip to thailand in 1989 just happened to fall around loy-krathong i was in Bangkok at the time in the manhatten hotel, and some of the staff where making these polystyrene floats with candles in them, did'nt have a clue what was going on,
but the sound of a excited ka-touy shouting out... "Loy-krathong Loy-krathong".. in a very high pitched feminine voice,after i asked what was happening ,still sticks in my mind around this time of year even after 17 years.

Had plenty of good times at loy-krathong since , a great event .
Look forward to some pic's soon.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 3, 2006, 7:59 am

:lol: My first Loy Krathong was with my wife before we were married.We put ours in the choppy waters under Rama 7 bridge.My wife was all excited because ours stayed together.She said that was a great sign for our future marriage!
We still joke about if one us put gum between them to make them stick together :lol:

Nick@AUA
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Nick@AUA » November 3, 2006, 2:02 pm

lee wrote:No worries mate, I'm sure I'll be able to take a few snaps when I'm there. Does anyone know what time the beauty pageant kicks off?
Kick off is at about 6.30pm on Sunday. They start around/near the fire station corner of the park.

AUA is sponsoring one of the entrants who is an AUA student.

My boss has told me I have to go and take lots of photos.. :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops:

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Post by Alagrl » November 3, 2006, 10:27 pm

BKKSTAN wrote::lol: My first Loy Krathong was with my wife before we were married.We put ours in the choppy waters under Rama 7 bridge.My wife was all excited because ours stayed together.She said that was a great sign for our future marriage!
We still joke about if one us put gum between them to make them stick together :lol:
The Thais with us at Loy Krathong were quite amused that this middle-aged couple weren't yet married...they were excited and congratulatory that our krathongs floated off together.

I wish now I had gotten to the area where the large hot air lanterns were being launched and seen it first-hand, but they were so beautiful from across the lake.

valentine

Post by valentine » November 4, 2006, 8:10 am

For anyone interested to know the tradition behind Loi krathong, or to know how to make one, or simply just want to see 5 pages of beautiful photos, I recommend www.loikrathong.net

valentine

Post by valentine » November 4, 2006, 8:29 am

Just a taster for those that cannot be here.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » November 4, 2006, 2:35 pm

Thanks for posting Val,

The carefully posed pictures do look nice. Loi Krathong is celebrated by the Thai community in the UK. The Thai Wat in Wimbledon SW London have a small lake in the grounds, the only thing all the girls will be wrapped up in heavy coats, the weather here in London is 1c at night and during the day a high of 7c. It's better than nothing I suppose, and the Wat puts on a good show. Food stalls, and a Miss Loi Krathong contest, and another contest for the best home made Krathong. A good day out if you can stand the cold.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 6, 2006, 12:06 pm

Here are a couple of shots from Nong Prajak Park last night:

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 6, 2006, 12:09 pm

oldfield

Post by oldfield » November 6, 2006, 1:58 pm

Get any pics of the 'Miss Roy Kratong'?

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 6, 2006, 2:11 pm

Unfortunately not, the batteries in my camera packed up just as the ladies were parading around the stage. I bought some Chinese batteries of a stall nearby, put them in my camera and would you believe not enough power to even switch the camera on. The batteries over here are ****

I did buy two spare sets from a petrol station on my way there but these only lasted a short while. I think I

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 6, 2006, 2:26 pm

This is one I took just before the batteries packed up and swicthed off, hence the camera shake.

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » November 6, 2006, 3:10 pm

Great Pics lee,
I can see that you also have there the "self-made hot-air balloons".
I bought some of them for myself at home.
Will have some fun with them at the next BQ.
Hope that I don't burn down something :lol: :lol: :lol:

valentine

Post by valentine » November 6, 2006, 3:37 pm

Enjoyed your pics Lee. You've obviously got a better digital camera than me, my photos are very vague, but heres a few thats not too bad.Image

The next one shows the tremendous height the hot air ones can reach.Good job there release is forbidden outside designated areas and only on specified days or else they could be an aircraft hazard.Image

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”