Marriage Extension

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by newtovillagelife » January 21, 2015, 9:04 am

i am currently on a tourist visa and want to get a two month extension. I am married to a Thai. I was told that this is available one time per year, does anyone know what document and anything else that is required. Thanks.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by RLTrader » January 21, 2015, 1:48 pm

No help here, just a comment. Just got back from Udon immigration and not a happy camper. I will rant about my visit after my 3 or 4th scotch. Presently on #1

The only thing I can say, if its at all possible to get a 60 days extension Bangkok is the place to go! They are helpful! Udon not so much! :mad:

samuel
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by samuel » January 21, 2015, 4:26 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:...does anyone know what document and anything else that is required. Thanks.
how about using the advanced search of this forum (on the top right)?
then you'll find out that it is all written > here.
start reading the linked thread backwards (from the end to the beginning).....
be prepared: extending the visa based on marriage is a complicated thing. you may try something else instead.
good luck to you.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by papaguido » January 21, 2015, 5:11 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:i am currently on a tourist visa and want to get a two month extension. I am married to a Thai. I was told that this is available one time per year, does anyone know what document and anything else that is required. Thanks.
If you only require a 60 day extension then you could take your chances at Udon Immigration. It's not guaranteed, it can be hit or miss. Some folks have succeeded in acquiring 60 days while others walk away with just 30. If you're only given 30days then you may have to do border runs to the end of your stay and even that may be hit or miss.

Another option is to go to Vientiane and obtain a Non- Immigrant "O'' visa (90 days). It may cost you more, but in the end it will save you from getting getting dicked around.
Last edited by papaguido on January 21, 2015, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by RLTrader » January 21, 2015, 5:17 pm

papaguido wrote: getting dicked around.
Key Statement for Udon Immigration.

eagle
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by eagle » January 21, 2015, 5:18 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:i am currently on a tourist visa and want to get a two month extension. I am married to a Thai. I was told that this is available one time per year, does anyone know what document and anything else that is required. Thanks.
That sounds that someone has mixed Permanent Residency and extension based on marriage. PR must be applied between October-December i.e. once a year.

Marriage extension should be applied 30 days-0 days before current visa expires. Not before, not later.

I can be also that I mix one time per year and Immigration meant that they give that 60 days once a year. If that is case, they were helpful, because it helps to plan future. After 60 days that route is closed for this year.

Police orders related to this:
2.24 In the case of an alien visiting a Thai spouse or child:
Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 60 days at a time
(1) Proof of relationship.
Marriage documents, birth certificate etc.
(2) In the case of a spouse, their marital relationship shall be de
jure (legitimate) and de facto.
Someone to proof that, not relative. Neighbour, friend etc.

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child
of his/her spouse):
Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)
(2) Proof of family relationship
(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de
jure (legitimate) and de facto;
(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or
(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.
In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may approve on case to case basis.
(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.
Proof of relationship has changed during last 3 year, because some of us are cheating with Khao San Road Marriage certificates, or use old documents from amphur or never have had right to marry.

rick
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by rick » January 8, 2016, 6:25 pm

Made my first pass at getting this years marriage extension at Udon today. Unfortunately the queue was to great to get it done before had to be elsewhere, so got one of the assistants to check the documents - she didn't like one of the photos so have to do that again.

More seriously, she was adamant that apart from my Embassy income letter i had to show 400,000 baht having been paid into a Thai account during the year - This was NOT asked for last year. I said that this isn't required and she produced a new leaflet which, although the English wasn't perfect, seemed to back her up. My problem - i don't put the money in a Thai account, i get it via an ATM and a UK card, so don't have the evidence she asked for. Anyone else had this experience at Udon? The leaflet may be new for 2016.

noosard
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by noosard » January 8, 2016, 6:34 pm

All I can say Rick is forget about Udon immigration and do the multiple re-entry visa
No money needed to be proved
Just a short holiday to Savannakhet
And a quick trip to the border every 90 days

FLICKFLACKER404
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by FLICKFLACKER404 » January 8, 2016, 6:59 pm

rick wrote:Made my first pass at getting this years marriage extension at Udon today. Unfortunately the queue was to great to get it done before had to be elsewhere, so got one of the assistants to check the documents - she didn't like one of the photos so have to do that again.

More seriously, she was adamant that apart from my Embassy income letter i had to show 400,000 baht having been paid into a Thai account during the year - This was NOT asked for last year. I said that this isn't required and she produced a new leaflet which, although the English wasn't perfect, seemed to back her up. My problem - i don't put the money in a Thai account, i get it via an ATM and a UK card, so don't have the evidence she asked for. Anyone else had this experience at Udon? The leaflet may be new for 2016.
rick what photos did you submit and what reason did she knock you back?

jimjay
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension [Income letter Not Accepted]

Post by jimjay » January 8, 2016, 8:15 pm

rick wrote: More seriously, she was adamant that apart from my Embassy income letter i had to show 400,000 baht having been paid into a Thai account during the year - This was NOT asked for last year. I said that this isn't required and she produced a new leaflet which, although the English wasn't perfect, seemed to back her up. My problem - i don't put the money in a Thai account, i get it via an ATM and a UK card, so don't have the evidence she asked for. Anyone else had this experience at Udon? The leaflet may be new for 2016.
Not yet but likely will as I have to renew soon.

People should likely take this thread very seriously as one after another, many people's marriage visas are going to get kicked back.

And not many of us want to go on the "leave every 90 days & come back" plan because who knows, maybe one of those trips they simply just don't let you in. How's that going to work for those of us in real family situations?

Is this the beginning of Thailand or at least Udon Thani getting rid of anyone who doesn't "pay to stay"?

We should somehow organize (or request one of the existing expat organizations) to politely contact the Governor of Udon Thani, or the Immigration Chief to get some input, clarification, or help.

p.s. For the possible trolls out there who might see this thread as an opportunity to trash those who can't just come up with 400,000, I sincerely beseech the moderators to cull that type of sabotage from the thread so we can have a useful discussion vs. the constant BS.

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by Jing Jing » January 8, 2016, 8:28 pm

Also remember all photos need to be in color. Once I turned in some black and white prints. The young lady asked where were the originals? ??

Since these geniuses have no understanding of financial data what do you do if you are not paid monthly? Or your income varies month to month? Or you had ฿400k at the begining of the year and transfered it all to the Thai wife?

rick
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension - new rules ?

Post by rick » January 8, 2016, 8:49 pm

i did one with both of us in the bedroom, one in the lounge, one outside the house; and one showing house number - i was told we also had to be in the one showing the house number - last year didn't matter. not easy to show house number and us together unless the one taking the photograph stands in the middle of the road .... last year i was told the one at the front didn't show the number properly - so i took a closer photo and no problem. But you cannot get the whole house in from the front - no space.

it is the wording of the new advice leaflet 'TO BE LEARNING ORGANIZATION : READY FOR ASEAN' which although it says as of 3rd December 2008, says this:

"5. Or in case of receiving pension. Applicant must provide evidence of a monthly pension with a minimum of 40,000 Thai bath. Evidence must include a letter of certification issued by the Embassy/Consulate of which applicant holds citizenship (Embassy / Consulate stamp meeds to be verified by Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs Consular Department at Chaeng Wattana Road, BKK) and husband must show money exit in thai bank 400,000 baht before 2 months.."

I have typed this as accurately as possible, including all spelling mistakes .....

I think they have run the two options together - the 40,000 baht a month option and the 400,000 baht in the bank option - but i doubt that who ever produced the leaflet understood the difference ......

Hopefully when i return on Monday some common sense will prevail ..... but This Is Thailand. I am not to keen to have to hop over to Laos every 3 months - done that previously but not so easy when you have a young child at school.

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by Jing Jing » January 8, 2016, 10:10 pm

I had similar problems last year with the front of the house photo. The photographer can't get far enough away from the house and make us and the house number appear legible. I would need to create house numbers on foam board 1 meter tall and in fluorescent orange.

Oh selfi pictures are not acceptable. They almost want wide angle photos wherever possible.

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by Philrjones » January 9, 2016, 4:23 am

That all sounds a nightmare to me. Don't get the requirement visa requirements confused with the non-immigrant O visa (marriage) requirements.

I'm married and get the marriage visa. This lasts for 12 months (you can squeeze a bit more out of it at the end), but you still have to report/border cross every 90 days.

Unless something has changed since I last got one (let me know), all I have to show is marriage certificate, copy of TW Thai ID card. I don't have to show anything related to money - I've never had to do that, whereas on the retirement visa you do.

As for Vientianne - I've been there many times to try and get the marriage visa and they wouldn't give it to me - just flat out refused. So I obtain mine from Australia when I'm back here for work. Never had a problem getting one with just passport, TW ID card, marriage cert.

I've never been to the Udon immigration office so I don't know what they're like. Perhaps that trip to Savanakhet sounds favourite.

Best of luck
Phil
Last edited by Philrjones on January 9, 2016, 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by Philrjones » January 9, 2016, 4:24 am

Oh, I forgot to mention - I've never had to have a photo of me there in Thailand outside the house either.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by papaguido » January 9, 2016, 7:59 am

Philrjones wrote:Oh, I forgot to mention - I've never had to have a photo of me there in Thailand outside the house either.
The requirements for an "extension" based on marriage differ from a Non-Immigration "O" visa (aka marriage visa).

papaguido
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension - new rules ?

Post by papaguido » January 9, 2016, 8:01 am

rick wrote: "5. Or in case of receiving pension. Applicant must provide evidence of a monthly pension with a minimum of 40,000 Thai bath. Evidence must include a letter of certification issued by the Embassy/Consulate of which applicant holds citizenship (Embassy / Consulate stamp meeds to be verified by Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs Consular Department at Chaeng Wattana Road, BKK) and husband must show money exit in thai bank 400,000 baht before 2 months.."

I have typed this as accurately as possible, including all spelling mistakes .....

I think they have run the two options together - the 40,000 baht a month option and the 400,000 baht in the bank option - but i doubt that who ever produced the leaflet understood the difference ......
Reminds of a certain immigration officer from Nong Khai that had trouble with "and/or".

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by BobHelm » January 9, 2016, 8:11 am

rick wrote:More seriously, she was adamant that apart from my Embassy income letter i had to show 400,000 baht having been paid into a Thai account during the year - This was NOT asked for last year. I said that this isn't required and she produced a new leaflet which, although the English wasn't perfect, seemed to back her up. My problem - i don't put the money in a Thai account, i get it via an ATM and a UK card, so don't have the evidence she asked for. Anyone else had this experience at Udon? The leaflet may be new for 2016.
Interesting Rick.
This is almost like the requirement that Nong Khai appear to want to place on Retirement extensions - that they want to see physical evidence of the financial requirement entering Thailand, rather than just a 'proof of income'.

Please keep the Forum updated with your progress.

I suspect that, for now at least, noosard has called it correct & that Savannakhet might be the best option. Although I cannot believe that will continue to be as easy as it currently is for ever... :(

mr passout
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by mr passout » June 22, 2016, 10:10 am

Completed marriage extension,very quite in there yesterday so straight in whole process took around 45minutes.very smooth and no unnecessary documents required.
:D

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension

Post by Lone Star » June 22, 2016, 1:00 pm

Last edited by Lone Star on October 18, 2019, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”