New Immigration Visa Proposals (Apparently Approved)

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
tonika
udonmap.com

New Immigration Visa Proposals (Apparently Approved)

Post by tonika » November 25, 2016, 1:54 pm

According to a report in the Bangkok Post, that is causing quite a stir on another Thai forum, about the changes to the Retirement Visa for expats.

Apparently the 1 year Retirement Extension is due to be scrapped, and a new government approved 10 year one is to replace it.

The difference being;

1. You must have either 3 Million in the bank, which MUST be left untouched for 1 year, or proof of income of B 100, 000 per month.
2. Medical Insurance Cover of at least $ US 10, 000

There is no mention how much the new visa itself will cost, but I should imagine it'll be more than the present B 1,900

Some on the forum are querying, whether the 'Marriage Visa' will also be affected. We'll Just have wait and see.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Re: New Immigration Visa Proposals (Apparently Approved)

Post by Lone Star » November 25, 2016, 1:58 pm

tonika wrote:According to a report in the Bangkok Post, that is causing quite a stir on another Thai forum, about the changes to the Retirement Visa for expats.

Apparently the 1 year Retirement Extension is due to be scrapped, and a new government approved 10 year one is to replace it.

The difference being;

1. You must have either 3 Million in the bank, which MUST be left untouched for 1 year, or proof of income of B 100, 000 per month.
2. Medical Insurance Cover of at least $ US 10, 000

There is no mention how much the new visa itself will cost, but I should imagine it'll be more than the present B 1,900

Some on the forum are querying, whether the 'Marriage Visa' will also be affected. We'll Just have wait and see.

Yes, wait and see.

Those conditions will be unmet by the vast majority of expats, and there will be many Thai nationals abandoned if it moves forward as is.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

tonika
udonmap.com

Post by tonika » November 25, 2016, 2:31 pm

Agree with you Lone Star, I'll probably end up moving myself, as there is no way I can get Health Insurance at my age.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » November 25, 2016, 3:26 pm

I can't see them making this the only way people can stay, surely it will be in addition to the visa we use now? Comes to something when my wife says "it's okay, we will move to Laos", don't think so, I will meet the requirements and get the visa but it's going to cause the country to lose at least 90% of retirees and an awful lot of income if they enforce it. It just doesn't ring true, the government know they need the tourist/retirement income.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » November 25, 2016, 3:43 pm

I am not overly enthusiastic about it
Many expats I assume have the 800,000 in a bank and have an income or say $1000 a month and rely on health care in their home country They have met the rules in place and are happy

My suggestion would to install a Grandfather Clause for all expats here now and the new ones would have to abide by the new Visa rules
I know for myself I can meet the 3,000,000 but to tie up that amount of money is asking a little more than should be

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » November 25, 2016, 4:07 pm

Agree with you Lone Star, I'll probably end up moving myself, as there is no way I can get Health Insurance at my age.
That will be an issue for many who have been here for many years and decades.
I can't see them making this the only way people can stay, surely it will be in addition to the visa we use now? Comes to something when my wife says "it's okay, we will move to Laos", don't think so, I will meet the requirements and get the visa but it's going to cause the country to lose at least 90% of retirees and an awful lot of income if they enforce it. It just doesn't ring true, the government know they need the tourist/retirement income.
I can't see it being the only way to remain here either, and I find it hard to believe that they would eliminate the one-year retirement visa or the marriage visa; but I've seen some goofy things put forward -- and later changed. I'm hopeful that this is the case again.

I can meet the requirements, but I don't want to meet them. I like the one-year arrangement just fine.
I am not overly enthusiastic about it
Many expats I assume have the 800,000 in a bank and have an income or say $1000 a month and rely on health care in their home country They have met the rules in place and are happy

My suggestion would to install a Grandfather Clause for all expats here now and the new ones would have to abide by the new Visa rules
I know for myself I can meet the 3,000,000 but to tie up that amount of money is asking a little more than should be
Agree, but TIT.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » November 25, 2016, 4:09 pm

Talked to the head man at Udon Immigration today. They are not aware of any of the conditions of this 10 year visa, and they have heard nothing about discontinuing the 1-year visa.

This is today. Who knows what tomorrow holds. TIT

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 25, 2016, 4:27 pm

my reading of the Bangkok Post article, and use of the word ' extending ' leads me to assume the one year visa will still apply, but if you have the means and can pass the test, then the new 5yrs visa proposed ( with another 5yr extension ) will be there for those of means...

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » November 25, 2016, 4:38 pm

maaka wrote:my reading of the Bangkok Post article, and use of the word ' extending ' leads me to assume the one year visa will still apply, but if you have the means and can pass the test, then the new 5yrs visa proposed ( with another 5yr extension ) will be there for those of means...
Yes. I saw an article similar to that, and I agree with you. That certainly makes more sense. :)

rreddin
udonmap.com

Post by rreddin » November 25, 2016, 4:44 pm

The first reports of this new visa linked it to boosting health tourism. Thailand has not enjoyed the best press in recent years over foreign (mainly Arab) health tourists who ran out of money, or simply stopped paying, part way through their treatment. Maybe this is nothing more than an attempt to ensure that such tourists actually can meet the hospital bills for their elective surgery.

This being Thailand, the translation of the proposal into practice might be quite different. We will have to wait for the details to be announced.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » November 25, 2016, 4:56 pm

rreddin wrote:... Maybe this is nothing more than an attempt to ensure that such tourists actually can meet the hospital bills for their elective surgery.

If meeting hospital bills is their objective, I think adding that component to their current visa choices would be better than creating a 10 year monstrosity. But I also think that most of the hospitals do a pretty good job of endangering life by requiring cash in hand if there is no insurance record on file. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But like you said, we'll have to wait and see how this really shakes out. :D I'm beginning to think that it will just be an addition to what already exists.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » November 25, 2016, 5:11 pm

so bring 3,000,000 baht over using pounds sterling, every time the baht drops just 1 baht against the pound you lose big, if the baht tanked and went back to 60 baht to a pound you can kiss a shed load of your savings good bye, and if they had a 90's crash you could kiss the bulk of it good bye, then of course there's insurance premiums , they don't get cheaper as you get older. this deal really is a bad one. you are in fact playing the money markets ,ok if you don't mind losing a million or so, and its very unlikely the baht will get 25% stronger, weaker yes. and don't forget it cant be touched for 1 year, so in the event of the baht getting weaker your left with a choice, leave it there and watch its value shrink, or take it out , bite the loss and lose your visa at the same time. it's a perfect recipe for a lose/lose situation
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 28, 2016, 10:28 am

Just for curiosity, I checked the cost of health insurance for myself. For a 71 year old male, it would cost 56,000 baht per month. That is definitely a deal breaker, at least for me.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » November 28, 2016, 12:53 pm

glalt wrote:Just for curiosity, I checked the cost of health insurance for myself. For a 71 year old male, it would cost 56,000 baht per month. That is definitely a deal breaker, at least for me.
Well i'm suprised you've found one at all.Do you mind me asking,which company(s)you checked...Tanks in advance.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 28, 2016, 3:54 pm

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 28, 2016, 6:51 pm

Guys AA insurance is a sponsor might want to check them out not cheat but, 56 K a o month either.

at 70 I have Asia expat major medical good coverage I can afford a Dr's visit. But when it comes to a pace maker I doubt it.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » November 28, 2016, 7:15 pm

as I said ,it's makes no sense , if you can afford to leave 3,000,000 in a thai bank why would you need health cover ? mind you if you have to spend 636,000b a year for health cover that 3,000,000 wont even cover the cost for 5 years.
obviously we are all different ages , and some have existing conditions so prices will be different. but could you justify paying out that kind of money just for a visa ?. it would be cheaper to get travel insurance and keep flying back to the uk 12 times a year to keep it valid :lol: I think you'll find this proposal will be dropped pretty quick as can't see many takers at that kind of outlay that gives nothing else back
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

nesterdron

New Immigration Visa Proposals Apparently Approved

Post by nesterdron » March 27, 2017, 2:27 am

I feel very sorry for anyone who needs to deal with visa issues in the next few days...

Good heads up though.
без подписи

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » March 27, 2017, 7:56 am

Why? What is happening now?

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Re: New Immigration Visa Proposals Apparently Approved

Post by Lone Star » March 27, 2017, 8:06 am

nesterdron wrote:I feel very sorry for anyone who needs to deal with visa issues in the next few days...

Good heads up though.
All of this has blown over. Thread about 6 months old. No longer an issue.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”