no medical insurance & no refunds

Insurance -- Do you need it? Where to buy it?
DRILLER
udonmap.com

Post by DRILLER » May 23, 2014, 6:34 am

now that the royal thai defence forces has taken over ( coup ), i guess medical insurances are now longer accepting claims.

anyone know if refunds are being offered or just a complete loss. :badteeth: :badteeth: :badteeth: :badteeth: :badteeth:

temptation is a .....

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » May 23, 2014, 8:19 am

WTF is this about? Have you been denied coverage or are you just trolling?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 23, 2014, 8:40 am

In the event of a military coup all/most insurance policies are null n void .. in the small print that comes with the policy. Got the magnifying glass out and just checked ... yep tizz true...
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » May 23, 2014, 8:49 am

You sure it doesn't just concern injuries directly related to military action or actions caused by the coup? Like gun shots, riots, and things.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 23, 2014, 8:54 am

It will vary from company to company & policy to policy.
Anyone with such an insurance should be looking at the small print as Jon suggests.
Insurance companies are not exactly backward at hiding behind the legalities of their policies when claims come in...

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 23, 2014, 9:00 am

It is listed in the exclusions to coverage section of the policy along natural disasters... i need to check the super small print to see if its injuries directly caused by ..or a general full loss of coverage.

Policies do vary mine is AIA now previously Bupa both roughly the same with reference to exclusions .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » May 23, 2014, 9:04 am

I wonder if travel insurance is affected for tourists.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

AA Ins Broker
udonmap.com

Post by AA Ins Broker » May 23, 2014, 11:00 am

Insurance coverage for the present problems usually come under the General Exclusions in a policy and is self-explanatory.
e.g. : The insurance policy shall not offer insurance coverage for all losses, injuries or illnesses which occur due to or as a consequence of: War, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, or war-like act whether declared or not, civil war, revolution, insurrection, civil commotion, popular rising against the government, riot, and strike,

We are not allowed to answer personal question for those who do not use our Brokerage (suggest you call your Broker direct) but for all our customers please feel free to call or email me direct should you need clarification on any point.

Mods : please move this to the correct Forum, than you

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 23, 2014, 12:20 pm

Very good question this one and could spell the end of a few holidays. For instance my employment policy is a company world wide health medical insurance policy but having it checked at the moment. It does say you are OK if you are not actively taking part or assisting others in trouble. I think most would be OK. But there are plenty whom travel with out insurance and will rely on the embassy to try and assist.

A few lines from my policy below.

My worry would be if you intentionally travel to a region of known trouble, therefore contributing to the fact, example being a holiday and not employment or business to Thailand

EXCLUSIONS

Are excluded from the following benefits:

FOR TEMPORARY DAILY ALLOWANCES AND LONG TERM DISABILITY ANNUITIES Are excluded, consequences of:
- a civil or other war, a revolt, riot or civil commotion, wherever these events take place and whoever may be the protagonists, except if the Covered Person does not take part actively. Self-defense and
assistance to a person in danger are not excluded,

FOR LUMP SUM IN CASE OF DEATH OR TOTAL AND IRREVERSIBLE LOSS OF AUTONOMY AND FOR ADDITIONAL LUMP SUM IN CASE OF ACCIDENTAL DEATH OR TOTAL AND IRREVERSIBLE LOSS OF AUTONOMY FOLLOWING AN ACCIDENT
Are excluded, consequences of:
- death and total and irreversible loss of Autonomy resulting from a civil or other war, a revolt, riot or civil commotion, wherever these events take place and whoever may be the protagonists, except if the Covered Person does not take part actively. Self-defense and assistance to a person in danger are not excluded,

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 23, 2014, 1:10 pm

I know insurance companies try and wriggle their way out of paying
but I believe most policies still are valid
The exclusions are about injuries resulting directly from this polical mess whether you are involved or not

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 23, 2014, 1:37 pm

noosard wrote:I know insurance companies try and wriggle their way out of paying
but I believe most policies still are valid
The exclusions are about injuries resulting directly from this polical mess whether you are involved or not

Hence my question, if you travel as a tourist, knowingly go to a destination where trouble exists? Are you covered.
I suppose your own country travel warnings should mean something?

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » May 23, 2014, 1:46 pm

If you come down with dengue fever you would be covered. If you got shot in the arm by the army or protester's during a riot or civil unrest (like a military coup) you would not be covered.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » May 23, 2014, 1:51 pm

On the Radio this morning they were talking to a rep from TID, He said if you cancelled your trip because of the problems you were not covered as the Flights are running normally. He went on to say that if you fell sick you were still covered, however if you were run over by a Tuktuk your insurance will cover you BUT if you were run over by a Hummer it would not .... best check your own policy ....

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 23, 2014, 2:39 pm

merchant seaman wrote:If you come down with dengue fever you would be covered. If you got shot in the arm by the army or protester's during a riot or civil unrest (like a military coup) you would not be covered.
MS
Not if you read my policy, covered if not actively involved.
but getting it checked. I will be flying back to Thailand and our BKK office and then to UT from Vietnam then on to my work location in 2 weeks so checking exactly where I sit.
Mine is not a holiday policy though, and specifically for our company business where ever we are working.

I am sure all policies are not the same.

I have some mates who have changed to the Phillipines, couldn't be bothered with all the mess.
P4P is the same everywhere. :)

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 23, 2014, 5:12 pm

Having had personal experience of how Insurance companies in Thailand will use every loophole to avoid paying, I doubt that they would miss an opportunity like this to shaft their customers.

But sir, did you not know there had been a coup?
And you still came to Thailand even though you knew? I think then sir we can reasonably assume that you are deemed to be actively involved by your action of entering the kingdom.
But Sir the coup happened days ago, and you (by your own admission) have made absolutely no effort to leave the kingdom in that time. I think then sir that we can reasonably assume that you are deemed to be actively involved by your lack of making any attempt to leave.

retired
udonmap.com

Post by retired » May 23, 2014, 5:35 pm

Having had personal experience of how Insurance companies in Thailand will use every loophole to avoid paying, I doubt that they would miss an opportunity like this to shaft their customers.
This isn't a Thai thing its worldwide!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 23, 2014, 6:42 pm

But in "most" of the rest of the world, you at least get a semi fair chance to argue your point.

My legal adviser was told by the company to tell me to take it further if I wanted my money.
I was advised that this meant legal action which I was assured would cost me at least double what my claim was and that I would not be allowed to claim my expenses when I won.

Basically I had a choice .... lose B50,000 or lose B100,000 plus and win? the B50,000 that I was owed

retired
udonmap.com

Post by retired » May 23, 2014, 11:26 pm

But in "most" of the rest of the world, you at least get a semi fair chance to argue your point.
Not in my experience! Insurance companies are as far down the list as 2nd hand car dealers and estate agents.
That said I have found the car insurance here to be spot on compared with the UK, no arguments, agent visits the scene, deals with the police and he does all the spade work you just claim.

mally
udonmap.com

Post by mally » May 24, 2014, 1:38 am

As I'm booked to fly back to BKK in July I emailed my Travel Insurers (Insure&Go in the UK) to see how I stood.
If I had been in Thailand already I would be OK as long as my claim had nothing to do with the Coup, BUT as I have not set off yet the insurance is TOTALLY NULL AND VOID, even for a bag lost in transit.
So, I guess the only way to be sure is to check it out direct with your insurers and not trust in what others may post.

Nubieend5

no medical insurance no refunds

Post by Nubieend5 » April 26, 2016, 11:04 pm

My dad recently went on disability and his employer is wanting to cancel his medical insurance he had through them. Can they do this?

Return to “Insurance”