Farming -- All Types

General Udon Thani topics only!
Dingo
udonmap.com

Farming -- All Types

Post by Dingo » December 22, 2012, 8:08 am

Hi Users and Mod's,
As many would be aware, if they read my posts, we have several farming ventures happening over here.
Whilst we try our best to access knowledge via the local farmers and government departments, the communication about the difference in farming practices is vastly different than practiced in other western countries.
Is there a possibilty and ,or, interest, to start a forum, possibly "Farming and Agriculture" whereby we could exchange ideas, thoughts, experiences about the different aspects of farming over here.
I do have a farming background, along with other employment experiences and would happily share my knowledge with others. Perhaps, if the interest and numbers were there, field walks and informaton get togethers, could help not only us, as the farang, but our immediate Thai families as well? My "old man" (father) used to say...."you never stop learning".
Just a thought and to gauge interest.

"Happy Festive Season" everyone

Cheers

Dingo

mykthemin
udonmap.com

Possibilty of a "Farming Forum"

Post by mykthemin » December 22, 2012, 8:13 am

Sounds good idea to me, I live in Loei and grow sugar rice and rubber, would be pleased to share experiences.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Possibility of a "Farming Forum"

Post by Aardvark » December 22, 2012, 8:22 am

I grew Apples and Strawberries on a commercial basis some years ago so would be interested learning about others experiences ...

Dingo
udonmap.com

Post by Dingo » December 22, 2012, 9:30 am

I forgot to mention, we have a medium size inetensive piggery, a retail outlet for our own meat. We sell fish, pork, bacon, fruit and vergetable.
We also have 70 Rai under Sugar cane, some rice and always looking to venture into areas which may create profit and security for the future.
Cheers
Dingo

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » December 22, 2012, 10:25 am

We tried fish farming 15 years ago, thieves in the dead of night netted every fish from the lake. The police told us the thieves use huge nets that go from one side of the lake to the other, and we were a target because the wife is a Mia Farang and we can afford to take the loss. I'll never forget my wifes tears after all her hard work and money. That was the end of that. First lesson should be security. I've hated Issan banocks ever since. No wonder they are a joke on Thai TV.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

udonmarc
Admin

Post by udonmarc » December 22, 2012, 11:53 am

Dingo, do you see this with a separate thread for each topic within farming (livestock, crops, etc.), or a general farming forum? I like the idea. I'm thinking one thread to start, then we can always split it into subthreads if there's enough interest and sufficnent posts to warrant it. What do you think?

Dingo
udonmap.com

Post by Dingo » December 22, 2012, 4:23 pm

Hi Dr.
Yes, I see it pretty much the same as you descibed it, however, I have no idea of how much interest is out there for such a forum, hence my post.
Personally, I find it difficult to understand some of the farming practices that take place over here. I have seen farming in many different countries and beleive with an international farang base on UM, then perhaps we could help each other in different areas.
I certainly don't want to offend any Thai farmers / families and tell them they should change and do it differently but if we can improve our own farming techniques over here, then perhaps some benefit may follow on to the locals if they so desire?
One area that comes to mind for me is altering farm machinery to become part of the 21st century and not so addicted to manual labor!! I have already started changing and making boom spray units for use on 3PL tractors with imported 12 volt pumps, high quality spray nozzles, modified booms, etc for weed control.
I have also had to explore the best varieties of sugar cane that are available and viable.
There are a lot of questions that could be aired and discussed for the benefit of all who have an interest in such practices.

In the meantime, it's just a case of waiting to se how much interest is out there and how far we take it.

Cheers

Dingo

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 22, 2012, 7:26 pm

Well there is a very active thread on T.V. They had a general meeting of farrang farmers a few months back. There is another scheduled for for Sukoakorn on January 25th. We will be visiting one of the Kings research centers, with an English speaking guide. Some will stay overnight and have dinner. From what I was told thew last one was real fun get together.

They have expressed an interest in doing one in Udon. I have no idea where to start on that one. I have stopped by the local agriculture office, I wasn't really treated with a welcome by any means and absolutely no respect. The fishery on the other hand has been very helpful.

Perhaps a segment on Udon Map Might make them a bit more open to us. Everything that I have learned over the past year with our little operation I either learned from T.V. or from friends with experience.

We do mushrooms, both in the cool weather and hot weather.

Pla Nin for fish, did cat fish once but the Thia's wanted them so small it was all we could do to break even.

I also set up the only worm farm in the area, for bait. So we will have it available all year round for or own needs, They reproduce every sixty days. So I can sale them a bait as well.

I learned how to do all this from Thai Visa really, yet I know there are people around here that know how to do these things. So I think it would be a darn good idea. Kubota on ring road had some sort of big deal going on today. Might have been nice to know about that and participate. If we have no way of passing on information I think we are the losers.

I have to tell you the only thing I really got when I mentioned this was negative. But the fact is we are running at a profit and we have not completed our first year. For me it's a hobby nice to have one that gives you money

Dingo
udonmap.com

Post by Dingo » December 22, 2012, 8:17 pm

There is quite a bit of diversity out there with regards to agriculture and aquaculture.
Bumper, sounds like your in the same boat as I am, having to learn the hard way........trial and error and the school of hard knocks with regard to Prenders and his episode with fish.
Would be interested to learn more about that research centre tour on January 25. Is there a link on the web to it?
By the way, the big day at Kubota was to celebrate their 6th birthday in Udon.
A huge crowd............ we went, as I beleive it was by invitation only, but I couldn't understand anything they were talking about. There was a heap of giveaways including a major prize of 15 oz gold, so I was told, as the major prize.
Apart from the boom sprays they sell, manufactured by another company, we've had very good service from Kubota on all our machines.
Anyway, good luck with your ventures, hopefully we can get together some time??

Cheers
Dingo

udonmarc
Admin

Post by udonmarc » December 22, 2012, 8:53 pm

OK, let's do it!! We'll start right here, -- I've changed the name of this thread.

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Farming -- All Types

Post by thaiguzzi » December 22, 2012, 10:19 pm

I have to say, the farming forum on Thai Visa has some very informative posts/threads.
Regards,
Mike.

rick
udonmap.com

Farming -- All Types

Post by rick » December 22, 2012, 11:42 pm

Yes, I am all for a farming forum. ThaiVisa does have a lot but what works in other parts of Thailand may not always work up here. I am more of a allotment gardener than bigscale, but some of the issues are the same. The one thing i have found is growing farang vegetables is hard - heat, disease and pests knock em down quickly - one reason probably why you do not see much grown by Thais. I'm still very much learning as only in my 3rd growing season.

I am also interested in fish farming - my experience is mainly theoretical as i was a freshwater biologist many years ago but have many ideas which could be tried out - especially small scale rather than intensive fish farming (intensive requires a lot of capital and lots of possibilities of going wrong, especially in isaan).

maaka
udonmap.com

Farming -- All Types

Post by maaka » December 23, 2012, 3:57 am

yup, I am always interested in farming / stock matters, so an Agri forum will have my attention.

wiking
udonmap.com

Farming -- All Types

Post by wiking » December 23, 2012, 9:45 am

here the webpage for the agri fair

http://www.thailandexhibition.com/Event-77/5976

I think this is in Khon Kaen

there is also - 1 here in udon thani - animals
http://www.thailandexhibition.com/Trade ... l&prov=all

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Farming -- All Types

Post by Prenders88 » December 23, 2012, 10:51 am

Are work permits easy to get here for us to work as farmers?

Dingo
udonmap.com

Farming -- All Types

Post by Dingo » December 23, 2012, 12:31 pm

Prenders,
I looked into that area very carefully before outlaying too much capital.
Have spoken directly with Udon Immigration, we are able to "help" our family in any aspect, providing you don't get paid. In our case, the land is in my wife's name, and of course she, her parents and relatives are family!
Any monies derived from our input go directly to her and according to Thai law, what she does with that money after receiving it does not matter, providing I do not get paid "a salary"!! She can give to me any amount, again, providing it is not given or classed as a wage or salary. I'm sure you can understand what I am saying?
We have also registered a "Thai PLC" (company) of which 3 directors are invoved. My wife has 69%, Mother in-law has 1% and I have 30%. Having a company allows the opportunity to apply for a work permit as well, if you feel more comfortable in that area. Our accountant prepared all the paperwork, so should you require her number, PM me and I will forward.
Wiking;
Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

Cheers
Dingo

bumper
udonmap.com

Farming -- All Types

Post by bumper » December 23, 2012, 6:01 pm

Work Permits not going to happen, Just let the wife do the work.

For the event just look in the farming section. you should be able to find it.

Well if I do not get in trouble here is the link.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/604 ... uary-2013/

leterry60614
udonmap.com

Farming -- All Types

Post by leterry60614 » December 24, 2012, 10:45 am

Fertilizers is a concern of mine. Where to buy them around Udon and at what price. It's our big expense every year and it feels like playing the lottery sometimes. About six years ago rubber farmers from our village made one big collective order and it turned out to be fake... We'd prefer to avoid a repeat.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Farming -- All Types

Post by Prenders88 » December 24, 2012, 11:35 am

Thanks for the info Dingo =D>

JR
udonmap.com

Farming -- All Types

Post by JR » December 24, 2012, 1:14 pm

If, for example, your wife or gf owns land and you have a usufruct contract on that land, you can work the land as your own. This is confirmed by the Udon Labour office as well as Immigration. It just follows what the law says about usufructuary's rights.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”