Udon to Hua Hin, how should we go?

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Rideswings
udonmap.com

Udon to Hua Hin, how should we go?

Post by Rideswings » March 22, 2011, 2:42 pm

The wife and I are planning a trip to Hua Hin and we are trying to figure out whats the most economical and efficient way to get there. We were thinking of taking the VIP bus to Bangkok and then trying to get there from Bangkok, but we've never done it before and dont know what mode of transit to take from BKK to HH.

I checked Air Asia to Bangkok and its around 2000 baht each way per person plus baggage charges of around 300 baht each, then we would have to find our way to Hua Hin. We can take the VIP bus to Bangkok for around 500 baht and then also need to find our way to Hua Hin.

We have a car that gets around 6 litres per 100km but the wife doesnt want to drive.

We are also looking for a nice place to stay around the 1000 baht price per night. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Re: Udon to Hua Hin, how should we go?

Post by martynsnowman » March 22, 2011, 6:59 pm

Rideswings wrote:The wife and I are planning a trip to Hua Hin and we are trying to figure out whats the most economical and efficient way to get there. We were thinking of taking the VIP bus to Bangkok and then trying to get there from Bangkok, but we've never done it before and dont know what mode of transit to take from BKK to HH.

I checked Air Asia to Bangkok and its around 2000 baht each way per person plus baggage charges of around 300 baht each, then we would have to find our way to Hua Hin. We can take the VIP bus to Bangkok for around 500 baht and then also need to find our way to Hua Hin.

We have a car that gets around 6 litres per 100km but the wife doesnt want to drive.

We are also looking for a nice place to stay around the 1000 baht price per night. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
get to bkk thats easy ... nokair 150bt each way ... but up to you once in bkk get taxi to victory monument about 180bt from bus station or airport , then aircon minibus to hua hin 180bt stright inti city center its no prob ....

Rideswings
udonmap.com

Post by Rideswings » March 22, 2011, 8:21 pm

marty did you mean 1500 baht or 150 baht on Nokair? I have never seen prices that low to bkk from udonthani.

Frans
udonmap.com

Post by Frans » March 22, 2011, 11:50 pm

Rideswings

You realy want to take the bus? Take bus to Suvarnabhumi Airport > Mini bus to the new Southern Busstation (keep in mind you wil pay fore a extra seat fore the lugage) (Don't know iff bus NO 556 is stil runing from the airport to Southern busstation?) > From Southern busstation take bus to Hua Hin (2,5 hour).

Or you take Thai Airway's about 1900 Bath 1 way (Monday til Thursday, i alway's buy my ticket in the travel agency close to Nutty Parc, Oposite Liberty Bar), 19 KG lugage, but the don,t care fore a few kilo extra. From there the mini bus and bus Hua Hin.

When i stay in Hua Hin, I prefere AB Guesthouse (The pick you up from the airport or hotel in Bangkok fore +-2800 Bath 1 to 3 persons. Check there price list, And when you go afther April 16 the charge you 800 Bath a night.

http://www.abguesthouse.com/price.htm

Iff you take the last option, see iff you cane get in the old Don Muang airport, it spear you travel time to Hua Hin, Compared with Suvarnabhumi Airport. Iff you take the early flight you could be in Hua Hin, Let say 6 or 7 hours later then your departure. And no hassle whit lugage, waithing times between the departures time from the busses. Think all togheter roughly 3400 a person taxi from Udon to Udon airport included.

But I'm sure there are other way's :D

Frans.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » March 23, 2011, 12:13 am

I don't see the point of having a car and not using it, especially if the financial difference is negligible. An advantage of taking it is that you are flexible when you get there and not dependent on other means of transport.

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Post by martynsnowman » March 23, 2011, 7:27 am

Rideswings wrote:marty did you mean 1500 baht or 150 baht on Nokair? I have never seen prices that low to bkk from udonthani.
sorry yes 1500bt .... tw and i go udon to hua hin 4 or 5 times every year for a mini break , we,ve driven it in the pickup only once NEVER AGAIN , took the over night sleeper train and the bus but for me and only few baht more, the nokair flight at 07.30am to the old airport , then 1 taxi and 1 minibus ride will get you into hua hin before 12 midday . at less than 1800 bt per person each way .

Rideswings
udonmap.com

Post by Rideswings » March 23, 2011, 11:53 am

Thanks for the responses. It looks like Thai Airways has raised their prices to over 4000 baht one way, so I think we will be flying Nok Air and then taxi and minibus. We will probably rent a motorbike once we get there, so transportation might not be a problem. Thanks Frans for the AB Guesthouse link.

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Post by martynsnowman » March 23, 2011, 12:11 pm

Rideswings wrote:Thanks for the responses. It looks like Thai Airways has raised their prices to over 4000 baht one way, so I think we will be flying Nok Air and then taxi and minibus. We will probably rent a motorbike once we get there, so transportation might not be a problem. Thanks Frans for the AB Guesthouse link.
try this website , www.manthanahouse.com i,ve stopped there many times right in city center 75 rooms swimming pool walking distence to beach and bars , 1000bt a night . manager speaks good english .

Rideswings
udonmap.com

Post by Rideswings » March 23, 2011, 2:17 pm

Thanks Marty it looks very nice.

wayne747
udonmap.com

Post by wayne747 » March 23, 2011, 2:19 pm

How is the beach in Hua Hin ? Nice, or overrun with peddlers of junk and lots on longtail boats ?
BTW, the Thai or Air Asia price depends on the season and when you book.
Have a great trip down there :D

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » March 23, 2011, 3:40 pm

We've just been to Hua Hin. Took the bus to Bangkok, stayed there one night (because had to do some paperwork), took a taxi to the South bus station, bus to Hua Hin (about 3 1/2 hours) 150 baht. Bus drops you off near the clock centre.

We stayed in Chomsin Hua Hin Hotel ( http://www.chomsinhuahin.com/ ). Very nice place, room was 1.200 baht without breakfast, but with discount it came to 1.100 baht.

In the same street (Soi Chomsin) are some more nice looking hotels, all about the same price. One was advertising with 1.000 baht.

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » March 23, 2011, 3:50 pm

wayne747 wrote:How is the beach in Hua Hin ? Nice, or overrun with peddlers of junk and lots on longtail boats ?
BTW, the Thai or Air Asia price depends on the season and when you book.
Have a great trip down there :D
It's quiet, windy and there are lots of rocks in the sea. Definitely not overrun with people trying to sell you junk, you can take a ride on a horse, so there are some people trying to sell that. But they are not pushing. The night market is very nice, and there also some other markets to be found. Night life is okay also, enough bars and restaurants.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 23, 2011, 3:51 pm

The TG midweek specials and discounted fares, with no exchange of dates etc have all been cancelled from March 31st.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » March 23, 2011, 4:00 pm

OT drove from UT to Hua Hin. My suggestion is leave around mid-morning, head for somewhere about 3/4 of the way there, get a cheap hotel, and relax for the night unless you're feeling romantic, then continue to Hua Hin. The journey is too much to do in one day without getting tired. Also the little stop over on route just adds to the holiday. Hua Hin is well worth a visit. I'd take the car.

OT............... \:D/

Rideswings
udonmap.com

Post by Rideswings » March 23, 2011, 4:05 pm

Jorg can you tell me how much the bus cost to bangkok from Udon and did you go VIP? What time did you depart Udon and arrive in BKK? Did you take a taxi from the clock center to your hotel? Is the Hua Hin water clear as Phuket or dark and murky like Pattaya? :)

Thanks everyone.

Rideswings
udonmap.com

Post by Rideswings » March 23, 2011, 4:12 pm

OT - my car wont do much faster than 80 so I think it would take us alot longer to drive.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 23, 2011, 4:15 pm

If you like driving, which i do, then its a comfortable days drive to Hua Hin.

6.5 hours to BKK, with stops for fuel , toilet and ad in a Police check also.

Hu Hin is then another 1.45 hours , the quickest way through BKK according to my GPS, is just stick to the main freeway / toll way, once you hit Rangsit and continue right into the city and look for Port signs at the 3rd toll way , this tollway takes u right through BKK and over the river and ur on ur way.

Good easy road to Hua Hin , well sign posted

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 23, 2011, 4:18 pm

Rideswings

Just saw the update on your car's speed. Mine is based on 100-110 kph

Revert to OT's plan, Stay at Saraburi or even Khao Yai , then another 4-5 hrs the next day

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » March 23, 2011, 6:47 pm

Rideswings wrote:Jorg can you tell me how much the bus cost to bangkok from Udon and did you go VIP? What time did you depart Udon and arrive in BKK? Did you take a taxi from the clock center to your hotel? Is the Hua Hin water clear as Phuket or dark and murky like Pattaya? :)

Thanks everyone.
We used Chantour and took the bus from 10 pm that arrives in Bangkok at 6 am, it was 550 baht per person, Chantour calls this S-class, it is quite luxurious, every seat has it's own touch-screen on witch you can choose what you want to watch.

So if you continue right away somehow you should go from the North-East bus-station to the Southern bus-station. I don't know how much a taxi is, but it is about 20 km from the North-East to the Southern.

We walked from the clock centre to the hotel, it was only a 5 minute walk. Were they let you out of the bus there are two streets coming together, you have to walk back in the direction the bus came from, but take the street on the right (Neb Kehardt rd).

The water is not clear, in my opinion it also is not the best sea to swim in (because of the rocks and the shells), the beach is great to walk on, but not so good for sunbathing.
Attachments
cs.jpg

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » March 23, 2011, 9:38 pm

About 650 baht per person each way, Udon to Hua Hin by rail

http://www.railway.co.th/English/FareRate.asp

Return to “Travel & Transport”