Resuscitation of dead topics

Discussions about the website, map, magazine and magazine articles.
JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » May 26, 2011, 9:34 pm

I’m not sure if it is just coincidence, but since the introduction of “Similar Topics” at the bottom of threads it appears to me that there is an increasing frequency of what are effectively “dead topics” that are being responded to.

Personally I have not yet found the “Similar Topics” feature to be of any use, however I recognise that the “Similar Topics” feature may well be useful to newer members in helping to give them a flavour of the vast range of topics that have been covered on the UM forum since its inception.

If the feature is to continue would it be possible to put a time limit on the topics that appear there and/or a warning notice saying that there has been no activity on this thread (say) for “x” months and “y” years and the topic may well have run its course.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » May 27, 2011, 7:00 am

Certainly agree with that Jimbo and might add that soon it might not only be the topic that is dead . :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » May 27, 2011, 8:14 am

I disagree on the point about the related topics being presented,but agree with a warning or even a block from posting on them!
I find many of them interesting and informative,occasionally they directly answer the new post.

Every once in a while they provide and opportunity for the OP to provide closure or results that might have been overlooked ,back when!
In any case,their is not any harm being perpetrated by them or those that choose to extend them,by posting on them,IMO! :D

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 27, 2011, 9:35 am

I understand what you're saying Jim. I thought it would be a useful feature for new members searching for info, however if it's not used I could remove it. Maybe time for a poll.
JimboPSM wrote:If the feature is to continue would it be possible to put a time limit on the topics that appear there.
That's certainly possible, it's currently set to 3 years so I will try 1 year and see if that makes a difference. ;)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 27, 2011, 10:13 am

[quote="trubrit"]Certainly agree with that Jimbo and might add that soon it might not only be the topic that is dead . :lol:[/quote]

I think Lee has a way to deal with members who pass on:
Attachments
12659.jpg
RIP
12659.jpg (6.48 KiB) Viewed 3996 times

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » May 27, 2011, 10:21 am

parrot wrote:
trubrit wrote:Certainly agree with that Jimbo and might add that soon it might not only be the topic that is dead . :lol:
I think Lee has a way to deal with members who pass on:
Pass on ? I'm not going anywhere. I might kick the bucket or even die, but pass on? Never.Unless its my round . :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Return to “Website, Map & Magazine forum”