Facebook, Social Media

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Jello
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by Jello » September 21, 2011, 4:03 pm

KHONDAHM wrote:Comparing what can be gleaned from this site versus Facebook and other highly ubiquitous
sites which cross-integrate is a reeeeeeeeeeeeal stretch.
We are talking about two diffrent things. Your speaking of a vast facebook conspiracy future-world
that we mear mortals cannot fathom,
KHONDAHM wrote:Perhaps it will affect your kids' lives tomorrow when they become adults in ways you
haven't considered or cannot fathom today.
while I'm talking about current reality.
KHONDAHM wrote:I think that just about sums it up. May be a few odds and ends and minor details here and
there..
A few minor details from 10 minutes of reading 4 or 5 of your early posts-
The name of the village your wife is from, you own a house in this village, a relative stays
in the house whom you do not get along with, the month/year you moved to Udon and where
you lived previously, age of your children, the general location of your new house along
with a general description of it including house size and property size, the type of vehicle
your wife drives.

Nothing wrong with posting this info if your ok with it, but
KHONDAHM wrote:If some stranger asked you to supply that much information about yourself, friends, and family
in paper form, would you give it to him?.
This info may or may not be accurate or current, but if a
KHONDAHM wrote:demented stranger" .
decided to pay you a visit to see if you truly do
KHONDAHM wrote:have a trillion or so gold bars stuffed up my [being nice] at any given moment .
then this info gives him a good idea of where to start looking.
KHONDAHM wrote:Even "real" pictures of me I send to people I meet online are fake -
pulled from somone else's profile somewhere.
Still trying to figure out under what circumstance you would need to do this....
perhaps ThaiLoveLinks?
:lol:

Librarian
Udonmap Sponsor

Facebook, Social Media

Post by Librarian » September 21, 2011, 4:55 pm

Jello , that was well put IMO,

i,ve been reading this thread to see why and what, some people are taking the stance that facebook is dangerous, evil or other reasons

i,m interested to read about something i am not aware of, as to why some people take this stance with a view perhaps of changing the way i use social media sites.

i find some of the replies *contradictory* (is a better word to use than hypocritical)

maybe if you point out to someone that their viewpoint contradicts what they have earlier said or done, then that person may offer an amended viewpoint , or they may make personal attacks to mask the embarrassment of being found out for talking **** :-"

i ( and i would guess most do ) accept that what you post on cyber space is there for ever .. so you need to be mindful of what you post .. i think most are in agreement with that statement

one of the little gimmicks i like about facebook is the birthday reminder tab
anyone you are friends with that lists there birthday , you get an email to say its such and suches birthday

you can email them a Happy Birthday wish .. not only are they dumbfounded you actually remembered there birthday , you probably create a warm and fuzzy feeling for them on the special day :D

i note with interest google have just launched a social site.. will i replace FB with it ? probably not .. unless they offer some brand new must have idea application AND offer a method to import ALL data from FB

a scenario which could be bad for FB users .. perhaps in the future you are involved in some crime .. by posting too much information on the net could give journalists a field day .. making it easier for them to track down friends and family and get a story ?? .... just hope i,m never involved in a crime that would warrant someone digging into my life :D

Librarian

lee
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media - Google+

Post by lee » September 21, 2011, 5:06 pm

Google have recently launched Google+ which is basically yet another social network site. I wonder if Google will manage to compete with Facebook. Before facebook everyone was using myspace so anything is possible.

EDIT - Sorry Jeremy, just noticed you were talking about the same thing when I posted this.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by KHONDAHM » September 21, 2011, 5:17 pm

@Jello - You're making my point which is that social media allows all life scrutiny that potentially FOREVER; and that dastardly FB has far, far more info out there. TYVM ;)

This site is passive with info. FB is doing things with your info about which most people have no clue and would be outraged if they knew.

parrot
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by parrot » September 22, 2011, 8:03 pm

"Noted in train wreck thread that Parrot said he has no time for Facebook. Though dear Parrot you seem to have plenty of time, based on your Udonmap posts that now total 1908. "

Guilty as charged. I'm more concerned with my current life in Udon than my past life.....although there are days that I've wondered what my teenage sweetheart looks like today!

Jed
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by Jed » September 22, 2011, 8:29 pm

Seems they can't leave good enough alone. Why must they be so stupidly reactive?

Makes them appear desperate and amateurish... Well, maybe they are...
The social media network annoys its users, again, with a confusing revamp.

There must be an agenda here, somewhere...?
http://www.salon.com/technology/how_the ... index.html

rct
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by rct » September 23, 2011, 6:20 am

When I first put my name on facebook, I had a contact ask "are you the so and so who was a teacher in (French city.....now you all have me hesitant to put too many details) back in 1983? Thinking it was an old student I said yes. Turns out to be a woman I was "close to" a couple times and for the life of me I did not remember even her first name, what 27+ years after the encounter. Skeletons can come crawling out for some, luckily I don't really have any.

FB sure makes it easy to share photos of our children etc.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by trubrit » September 23, 2011, 7:26 am

This article illustrates very well one of the dangers of Facebook and putting kids photos on line .
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... riend.html
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Jed
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by Jed » September 24, 2011, 10:23 am

An interesting article in the Economist this week on "Sharing It All."

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/ ... _economist

My favorite line from the article was:
Reed Hastings, Netflix’s chief executive, came on stage with Mr Zuckerberg to say that initially the firm had been wary of sharing data about its users with Facebook via a social app, but had come round to the view that this made sense given the potential power of social connectivity to boost its overall business.
That cuts right to the heart of the matter, for those who didn't yet know.

It's good news indeed for those who appreciated targeted advertising; i.e., based on the fact that you are a Christian Conservative who enjoyed reading Bush's and Palin's biographies, we thought you might want to buy Dick Cheney's just-released account of how he views his place in history...

If you're too busy at the time to click it, don't worry, the ad will follow you around from site to site as you surf the Web.

Resistance may be futile at any rate. According to what FB employees like to call "Zuckerberg's Law," the amount of stuff that people share roughly doubles every year. Every year! That's pretty amazing.
sharing-everything.jpg
Let's All Share Everything!
As the Economist article concludes, "Perhaps Zuckerberg’s Law should really state that sharing less is not an option."

Chances are pretty slim that you'll ever find a platform to share as widely with so many people as Facebook; and don't even think about Google+ if you're in the least concerned about privacy issues.

Just because I have nothing to hide does not mean that I want to share all the facts of my life with these corporations, and have them use, abuse, and exploit all my personal information as they deem best... to grow their businesses, and share it with whomever might be applying pressure to them to share it with them.

Fortunately, no one is forcing us to do this (yet). I mean, it can't be that sinister, can it, with 800 million souls voluntarily signing up and sharing. That's one big happy, human, global share-fest, that's for sure.

And haven't most of us been raised and taught by our parents and elders to share everything?

Now we can do so very easily, big-time!

parrot
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by parrot » September 24, 2011, 1:58 pm

I am truly thankful that we raised our daughter (now in her 30's) before the mobile phone/sms/facebook/internet era. Truly truly truly thankful!

parrot
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by parrot » September 26, 2011, 7:59 pm

Here's some food for thought:
I'm following the trails of a bike rider from the US who's in the Isaan area. He checks into a hotel in Sakhon Nakon and sees a Trek bike out front of the hotel set up for touring. He inquires at the front desk. Without talking to the bike owner, he walks away with the guy's full name, birthplace, birthdate, and passport number. Imagine what a real detective could actually come up with!!

Jed
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by Jed » September 27, 2011, 11:41 am

*** SHARING ***
sharing.png

trubrit
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by trubrit » September 27, 2011, 11:50 am

As the topic title mentions social media I hope Jack won't mind if I mention another site that causes me great concern as far as my kid is concerned. Its H15. The site is primarily Thai school kids exchanging chat but in the past it was revealed that young girls were offering their availability on it . Even today some of the photos being exchanged are to put it mildly, worrying from those of tender age, barely in their teens .Believe it or not the girls seem worse than the boys. :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Jed
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by Jed » September 27, 2011, 12:25 pm

Think you may be referring to hi5.com, and yeah, definitely troubling.

Jed
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by Jed » September 27, 2011, 1:00 pm

Even more troubling is the following, which prompts me to extend my stay here another few decades...
...The Federal Reserve Bank of the United States, which in a Request for Proposals filed to companies that are Fed vendors, is requesting the creation of a "Social Listening Platform" whose function is to "gather data from various social media outlets and news sources." It will "monitor billions of conversations and generate text analytics based on predefined criteria." The Fed's desired product should be able to "determine the sentiment [ED:LOL] of a speaker or writer with respect to some topic or document"... "The solution must be able to gather data from the primary social media platforms – Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, Forums and YouTube. It should also be able to aggregate data from various media outlets such as: CNN, WSJ, Factiva etc." Most importantly, the "Listening Platform" should be able to "Handle crisis situations, Continuously monitor conversations, and Identify and reach out to key bloggers and influencers."
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/here-come ... ioning-fed

Hard to believe? Sadly, nowadays, maybe not so much.

Read the Sentiment Analysis And Social Media Monitoring Solution RFP at this link also.

Everyone is free to share as much as they want. As for me, I prefer flying below their bigger and bigger radars.

Paranoid? Call it what you like; but you better believe it.

A good place to start is the Washington Post's stunning investigation into "Top Secret America":

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/top-secret-america/

I'll leave it at that for now.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by JimboPSM » September 27, 2011, 4:33 pm

The article re the Fed smells strongly of a cleverly conceived spoof designed to appeal to the anti-government, anti-Fed and anti-Bernanke conspiracy theorists in the run up to the 2012 elections.

There is simply no logic to the Fed having any such desire – except in the minds of the Fed haters :-k
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

Jed
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by Jed » September 27, 2011, 5:13 pm

Well, what's not to like about the Fed, right? That upright gang of brilliant bankers and economists.

Sounded incredible to me as well, Jimbo, which is why I did a search on it before posting it. Certainly don't want to join the ranks of conspiracy theorists -- isn't "theorists" rather a glorified term for them?

I didn't spend too much time on the search admittedly, but mostly found discussions about how incredible this is, and yeah, no logic to it, except maybe slipping it in a "back door."

No spoof or debunking links that I've found yet. Perhaps you can find a few and post them.

I'd love to be proven wrong on this one, believe me. Hard to believe they've actually gotten to this point!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by jackspratt » September 27, 2011, 5:55 pm

For all those aficionados of Facebook, and other sites of that ilk, I suggest you have a look here http://sharemenot.cs.washington.edu/ and download and install the Firefox add-on if you are so inclined.

After reading what ShareMeNot is intended to do (and prevent FB from doing), I took the simple way out, and permanently deleted my FB account. =D>

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by JimboPSM » September 27, 2011, 6:06 pm

As the allegations about the Fed only surfaced very recently the fact checking sites have not had any time to research whether there may or may not be any substance to them (I did have a look before posting).

While logic tells me there is not any substance I will be looking to see whether the fact checking sites confirm my logic or whether I have to make an :oops: post saying I was wrong.

Unfortunately, as Mark Twain said (or to be more precise, was attributed as saying) “A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes” – and that was way before the internet.

Even if the allegations are comprehensively rebutted there will be people who will continue to believe them – just look at all the fruit and nutcases who continue to believe the birther nonsense about President Obama.
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by JimboPSM » September 27, 2011, 7:44 pm

A bit more googling and I came across this article on "True North" which gives some background and insight into the Fed scaremongering rumour, it can be found here:
Like any good scaremongering rumour there is a grain of truth - which is then twisted, spun and unbelievably stretched.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”