Alzheimer's: Diet 'can stop brain shrinking'

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 31, 2011, 1:00 pm

I know that there are 'claims' about this, that & the other hugely improving, or destroying, your health & life on the Internet every day, but I did think that this one at least deserved an airing.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16344228

It is important because it actually tested the make up of people's blood, rather than just relying on what they said they did.
It is a very small study though (less than 100 people) & so much more work needs to be done.

It is sometimes difficult to differentiate between what people do & the result of that.
In the case of diet & Alzheimer's, for example, does the continued concern that the individual shows about their well being actually more important than what they are doing about it.
Are the results due to diet, or due to continued active mental attitude that the individual has, in general.

Finally, I guess :D , would continued repeats of these results lead to Governments imposing an upper age limit for the purchasers of junk food in a sort of reverse on the laws on Alcohol. Something like having to prove that you are under 60 before purchasing a Big Mac???

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 2, 2012, 8:02 am

Vitamin B-12 supplements also enhances neroutransmitter activity. Studies of Alzheimer patients as well as other older folks show that Vitamin B12 supplements enhance memory and thinking ability. So, for those of you suffering from CRS (Can't Remember nonsense) as you've grown older, you might consider taking B-12 daily. This is more important for people taking proton inhibiters such as Prilosec, Omeprazole, Miracid. These medicines for high stomach acid and reflux reduce the level of stomach acid which inhibits Vitamin B1-2 absorption in the stomach..
Dave

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » January 2, 2012, 7:01 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:Vitamin B-12 supplements also enhances neroutransmitter activity. Studies of Alzheimer patients as well as other older folks show that Vitamin B12 supplements enhance memory and thinking ability. So, for those of you suffering from CRS (Can't Remember nonsense) as you've grown older, you might consider taking B-12 daily. This is more important for people taking proton inhibiters such as Prilosec, Omeprazole, Miracid. These medicines for high stomach acid and reflux reduce the level of stomach acid which inhibits Vitamin B1-2 absorption in the stomach..
Any idea where to buy these B-12 supplements locally...and at what price? Thanks for the info FrazeeDK!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » January 2, 2012, 7:31 pm

semperfiguy wrote:Any idea where to buy these B-12 supplements locally...
I buy mine from a local pharmacy where I buy my Dettol =D>

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » January 2, 2012, 8:14 pm

A 100g serving of any shellfish, liver, squid, or fish will give you 200% or more of the FDA's
recomended daily alowance of B-12. All meat and dairy products also contain B-12.

If your eating a health diet, and you don't have any health problems or take med's that would prevent
absorbing B-12 you should be ok.

I use to take supplements but find them too expensive here in Thailand. Had some sent over from the U.S.
and was hit with a big import tax from customs when they arrived. Now I just take a multi-vitamin (centrum Silver for old gits) and eat a balanced diet. I eat fish at least twice a week for the omega-3, and it's high in B-12. 8)
UFF DA!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 2, 2012, 8:25 pm

To avoid the Thai customs issues, I bring back fish oil and multivitamins every time I return from Oz.

For the past 10 years or so, I have taken a multivitamin tablet, and 2 x fish oil 1500mg capsules (previously 1000mg) every morning. I have never been healthier. \:D/

If I forget to post in the near-term, obviously it has not worked. :D

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » January 2, 2012, 8:56 pm

jackspratt wrote:For the past 10 years or so, I have taken a multivitamin tablet, and 2 x fish oil 1500mg capsules (previously 1000mg) every morning. I have never been healthier. \:D/
Do you have a health condition where you need this much?
From mayoclinic.com: The World Health Organization and governmental health agencies of several countries recommend consuming 0.3-0.5 grams of daily EPA + DHA.
EPA is omega-3, DHA is omega-6 fish oils.

Your taking 6 times the recommended amount of fish oil. Are you growing gills yet? :lol:
UFF DA!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 2, 2012, 9:24 pm

I think I've found the organic way to stop my feeble brain from shrinking. No pills necessary.......just an hour or so a day wracking my brain over Thai grammar, pronunciation, etc. There are days when I have to limit myself to 45 minutes or less, less my brain explode......so my method must be working!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 2, 2012, 9:33 pm

Jello wrote: Your taking 6 times the recommended amount of fish oil. Are you growing gills yet? :lol:
Not that I am aware of - but I can swim underwater for 6 - 8 minutes without taking a breath.

Could this be related? :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 2, 2012, 9:43 pm

From Wiki.....
Maximum intake

The FDA says it is safe to take up to 3000 mg of omega-3 per day.[45] (This is not the same as 3000 mg of fish oil. A 1000 mg pill typically has only 300 mg of omega-3; 10 such pills would equal 3000 mg of omega-3.) Dyerberg studied healthy Greenland Eskimos and found an average intake of 5700 mg of omega-3 EPA per day.[46]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_oil

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » January 2, 2012, 9:57 pm

Ah, good. Thanks Bob. I'd hate for Jack to start looking like this-

:lol:
UFF DA!

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » January 2, 2012, 10:12 pm

jackspratt wrote:..... If I forget to post in the near-term, obviously it has not worked. :D
There is hope for you should that occur.

Ernest Saunders (the former Guinness CEO) who was jailed in 1990 for his part in the Guinness share-trading fraud, was released early from his jail sentence because he was diagnosed as suffering from Alzheimer’s disease; once released, he forgot he had it and was quickly able to resume a highly paid business career :-k
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » January 6, 2012, 8:39 pm

Here's some symptoms to watch out for if you think your developing Alzheimer's (From the Mayo Clinic webpage):

Memory
Everyone has occasional memory lapses. It's normal to lose track of where you put your keys or forget the name of an acquaintance.
But the memory loss associated with Alzheimer's disease persists and gets worse. People with Alzheimer's may:

Repeat statements and questions over and over
Forget conversations, appointments or events, and not remember them later
Routinely misplace possessions, often putting them in illogical locations
Eventually forget the names of family members and everyday objects

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alzhei ... N=symptoms

Here's some symptoms to watch out for if you think your developing Alzheimer's (From the Mayo Clinic webpage):

Memory
Everyone has occasional memory lapses. It's normal to lose track of where you put your keys or forget the name of an acquaintance.
But the memory loss associated with Alzheimer's disease persists and gets worse. People with Alzheimer's may:

Memory

UFF DA!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 6, 2012, 8:47 pm

Did you forget where you left the fish oil caps Jello?

ps 3000mg/day is the maximum, unless you want to end up looking like this:
Attachments
creaturefromtheblacklagd.jpg

Return to “Health & Beauty”