Udon a cold weather disaster zone

Udon Thani news, views and comments
phen
udonmap.com

Post by phen » February 4, 2012, 2:45 pm

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... ster-zones

Can someone explain what the criteria are for a cold disaster?
I think at least people need a jacket or something.

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Post by kjellsnell » February 4, 2012, 2:58 pm

In Thailand, they call a cool summer breezes for cooling catastrophe - at home in Sweden, it is played football in shorts today - the temperature range of -15 Celsius and this is called the common cold. To be called a cold disaster should be enough to reach a level below -35 degrees and I think that hardly affected Thai provinces even comes close!

But I understand why the Thai authorities will react and hopefully go in and help out all the old poor when night temperatures in some areas can drop to as low as + 5 degrees Celsius and it's cold enough for people to freeze to death if they do not have enough heaters or clothes to cover themselves with.
These days life seems pretty good and I eagerly look forward to the continuation!

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » February 4, 2012, 6:47 pm

Anyone know how cold it has to be for someone to die from exposure? That would be the only scenario that I could imagine being called a "cold disaster" here in Thailand.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 4, 2012, 10:49 pm

the article declared most of Issan a cold disaster area.. The Thai Meteorological website here: http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province.php?id=23 shows Udon with a low of 20C or so for the last week. Checking through the other Issan provinces it just doesn't look like a cold disaster at all.. For you Farenheight focused folks, 20C is 68F (see the C to F conversion chart here http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/con ... nvert.html

cold weather info from the Canadaian experts: http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_age ... ealth.html from this article it appears that 16C is where physical affects from cold become more apparent..
Dave

Dudde
udonmap.com

Post by Dudde » February 5, 2012, 8:19 am

Last year i recall a few days when it was realy cold. Same in 2009. Think it was down too 0 degres up in Chiang mai then if i don't remember wrong.
This year in the beginning of januari it was mild, not cold but no need for fan or AC in the house. Definetly needed a jacket when riding a bike at night.
Now it's no where near cold here in Udon, back home in Sweden in the south where my family lives it's -17 degres today and up in the north it has been as cold as -48 last night. Now that's cold!

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Post by Ray.Charles » February 5, 2012, 9:53 am

More than once, I was in Sweden on the mid-summer night. Once in Luleo which I believe touches the Arctic Circle. It was fun to watch folks playing soccer in shorts at 12 midnight, in sunlight, of course.
But then I also ice-fished regularly on the Minnesota/Canada border, north of International Falls, the city with the claim of recording the lowest temperature in the continental U.S., that is excluding Alaska. Besides the Walleyes, the best fish that I have ever tasted was the large sign on the bank of the frozen lake "DANGER: Please take your seatbelts off" (!!). There is zero chance of colliding with another vehicle when driving on the lake, but nonzero chance of your car falling into the lake through sometimes thinned ice because of the water flow of a river beneath the icy surface. If you do go down, you do not want your seat belt get into the way of the rescue workers trying to pull you out before you are frozen

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » February 5, 2012, 2:40 pm

Hi,
Dud. Yes it has been what is called cold in Udon. I think it was two years ago, an old man in the north of udon died from the cold. We're all right in our fancy houses, heaters and blankets, but some of these people, if there lucky, have only a sheet of tin, no blankets etc. It is good to see they are being thought of.
The night this old soul died i had recorded a low of 16.9C, about 62F on my weather station, for the outside temp. This year i have not had a reading as low as twenty.
To change C to F. muliply C by 9 divide by 5 and add 32. Was drummed into us at elementry school.
To change F. to C. Minus 32 and multiply by 5 and divide by 9.
Or press the F to C button on your weather station.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 6, 2012, 1:00 am

I wouldn't call it cold here in udon. There was a couple of nights when the temperature went below 15 degrees (e.g. Christmas Day) and I NEEDED a jacket that evening outside. In the bedroom, although only 1 layer of thin wooden planks in an old village house, only needed one blanket at night. During the day, by 10am has always been above 20 degrees this winter. It was colder in 2008 and 2009. I certainly never felt the urge to buy a heater.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Udon a cold weather disaster zone

Post by parrot » December 14, 2017, 3:34 pm

Time to break out the longjohns:
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » December 14, 2017, 6:46 pm

This is some of the days/nights Thais wish they had heaters in house and car

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » December 14, 2017, 7:00 pm

After Saturday the temperatures are going to chance quite dramatically.....
According to the BBC....
Sunday,high 23c 73f,low 10c 50f
Monday,high 22c 72f,low 9c 48f
Clear blue skies and similar for the following few days.
Should be lovely in the daytime but a bit bracing sat out in Soi Sampan at midnight in just t-shirt and shorts ! ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 14, 2017, 7:03 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 14, 2017, 8:20 pm

Looks like the hairdryer might need to be activated for 15 mins or so before going to bed ....... amazing how quick it warms the room

Visions of all the "Thermal" Chang vests with egg stains being removed from drawers all over Udon Province :lol:

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » December 14, 2017, 8:29 pm

Don,t forget the ''socks with sandals'' to complete the look,might as well go all in and look a right Tw,t
Socks-and-sandals-006.jpg

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 15, 2017, 8:11 am

tutone wrote:
February 4, 2012, 6:47 pm
Anyone know how cold it has to be for someone to die from exposure? That would be the only scenario that I could imagine being called a "cold disaster" here in Thailand.
Your normal homostaesis is 37 C

If you become unconscious or get a spinal injury etc. Then your muscles stop moving. Less energy produced and less heat created to maintain this.

Your body takes on the ambient temp around you if you fall over. Have poor clothing. Etc.

So a frail old person with many underlying medical conditions can easliy get hypothermia and die.

Its the nerves in your skin that provide feedback to the hypothalamus that regulates your temp etc.

Ive seen fit young males with hypothermia in the middle of the Australian summer. Temps of 29. Uncons from this.

Sadly they had cervical spine lesions and no nervous response from the neck down.

Alcohol causes vasodilation and allows rapid cooling of body temps.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 15, 2017, 7:20 pm

It is a balmy -17 C. in Toronto this morning (wind chill), which feels much nicer than the -25 C yesterday morning. Long johns indeed.

The coldest weather I ever experienced was in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan where it was -20, and often -30. for over 30 consecutive days. Added to the discomfort was a strong daily wind. Loading and unloading boxcars in the middle of the night for the Canadian National Railway was not much fun.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 17, 2017, 8:34 pm

Dropped 5 degrees in the past couple of hours (since sunset). Better bring the geraniums inside Doris!
chill.jpg
Cool enough yet?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 17, 2017, 8:42 pm

Nice frost on the brussells before xmas :-k

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » January 27, 2018, 8:40 am

Out and about in the paradise city of Udon :-s I've noticed many elderly farangs dressing in Chang vests and torn shorts,and the like :badteeth: ,obviously thinking the cool season is over !
But you are in for a bit of a surprise next Thursday when we will be experiencing another cold snap for a few days.

Thursday,High 26c 79F,Low 14c 57f
Friday,High 25c 77f,Low 11c 52f
Saturday,High 25c 77f,Low 11c 52f
Sunday,High 26 79F,Low 11c 52f

Monday 5th February onwards starting to get back to normal with daytime highs of 30c 86f and nighttime lows of 16c 61f.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 27, 2018, 1:31 pm

Zidane wrote:
January 27, 2018, 8:40 am
Out and about in the paradise city of Udon :-s I've noticed many elderly farangs dressing in Chang vests and torn shorts,and the like :badteeth: ,obviously thinking the cool season is over !
But you are in for a bit of a surprise next Thursday when we will be experiencing another cold snap for a few days.

Thursday,High 26c 79F,Low 14c 57f
Friday,High 25c 77f,Low 11c 52f
Saturday,High 25c 77f,Low 11c 52f
Sunday,High 26 79F,Low 11c 52f

Monday 5th February onwards starting to get back to normal with daytime highs of 30c 86f and nighttime lows of 16c 61f.
More very welcome cool weather ... love it .

I was in town the other day and noticed rather large rotund tattooed expat mooching around near the train station KFC in just a pair of small shorts , no shirt no shoes and he was drinking from a large bottle of Archa ... nothing too strange i suppose except it was only 8am, maybe a late night the evening before ?? .. still it does tend to paint a bad picture of expats in general to our Thai hosts IMO .
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Return to “Udon Thani News”