Sow Thai Lawang Farang!

Long distance relationships, mixed relationships etc...
rct
udonmap.com

Sow Thai Lawang Farang!

Post by rct » November 9, 2011, 1:04 pm

I logged on to add this post before seeing the separate post looking for a professional office type in which OP says not all guys are scum bags, which I am sure is true. What is on my mind is related however.

The book "Sow Thai Lawang Farang" is a good warning to Thai women. It is published only in Thai.

While perhaps most farang men who come to Udon are nice guys, there are some visitors who figure out that Thailand can be easy pickings of innocent and sincere young ladies, and many of these ladies may end up with nothing more than unrequited love.

I know of a role reversal in which one of those coveted office lady/banker types turned out to be a real scammer, extracting plenty from numerous guys both Thai and farang (quite a juggling act this one), in return for the pleasure of her company behind closed doors.

Caveat Emptor
(does that work in this context?)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Sow Thai Lawang Farang!

Post by jackspratt » November 9, 2011, 1:26 pm

rct wrote: Caveat Emptor
(does that work in this context?)
Most certainly does. :D

parrot
udonmap.com

Sow Thai Lawang Farang!

Post by parrot » November 9, 2011, 4:16 pm

ohboy ohboy ohboy! I've just finished up my first Thai novel...a story of a Thai woman who prostituted herself in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Bahrain, and Patpong....and ended up marrying a foreigner. It was a tough read (language wise)....but now I need a follow on. This book sounds like a candidate! Maybe it'll give some fodder for thread discussion on udonmap!

There's some insight into the book at http://www.siamhoney.com/cute_thai_girl ... ....titled "As the Cute Thai Girls Aren't Like London Buses"

If you're gf is reading the book shown at http://www.se-ed.com/TextBook/Quotation ... 9747884784, you can expect her to be enlightened by the author's words of wisdom.

Sow Thai Lawang Farang (สาวไทย ระวังฝรั่ง) = Watch Out for that Foreigner, Young Woman! (my translation)

Thanks for the post, rct!

parrot
udonmap.com

Sow Thai Lawang Farang!

Post by parrot » November 12, 2011, 3:30 pm

I scribbled down "Sow Thai Lawang Farang (สาวไทย ระวังฝรั่ง)" on a slip of paper and put it on my dash as a reminder to buy the book next time I'm in town. The wife inquired: "why not buy the book that says "Khun Farang, Lawang Sow Thai (คุณฝรั่ง ระวังสาวไทย)/Foreigner, Beware of Thai Women")
And that got me to thinking that there's some money to be made.......if someone could write a book that details some of the pitfalls of Farang/Thai relationships, without spewing a bunch of anti-Thai-isms (anti bargirl, anti Isaan girl, anti poor Thai girl, anti any Thai girl....you get the picture).
The title of the first book could be something like: "I've Done Been Educated Enough, I Don't Want a Degree from WBU".....and the follow-on could be "I got my Bachelor's Degree from WBU.......and Now I'm Trying to Avoid a Master's". A gold-leaf limited edition of PhD volumes could be written for the few who never seem to get it right.

Just thinkin'

rct
udonmap.com

Sow Thai Lawang Farang!

Post by rct » July 5, 2013, 9:28 am

Parrot did you ever get the book?

Posting again as a reminder to the nice women of Udon Thani!

Quanteen
udonmap.com

Sow Thai Lawang Farang!

Post by Quanteen » July 5, 2013, 9:51 am

ระวัง
Surely it's rawang, not lawang.

parrot
udonmap.com

Sow Thai Lawang Farang!

Post by parrot » July 5, 2013, 9:53 am

Fuzzy brain cells, but as I recall, I went to a few book stores and asked.......got odd-ball looks ask if to ask "And, why would YOU want to read it." But the book stores didn't have the book and I ended up reading something else. It's back on my to-do list as I'm about to start up class again (I'm back from vacation and now my teacher's back as well).

parrot
udonmap.com

Sow Thai Lawang Farang!

Post by parrot » July 5, 2013, 9:54 am

Quanteen wrote:ระวัง

Only if you're writing the transliteration or if you're in a classroom with a meany-Thai teacher. :lol:

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Sow Thai Lawang Farang!

Post by mortiboy » July 5, 2013, 10:29 am

parrot wrote:
Quanteen wrote:ระวัง

Only if you're writing the transliteration or if you're in a classroom with a meany-Thai teacher. :lol:
Esley one knows Thai's cant say "R" easily So substitute it with an "L"
My name is " LOY" enit?

747man
udonmap.com

Sow Thai Lawang Farang!

Post by 747man » July 5, 2013, 12:59 pm

Yeah !! They have to learn to get their tounges around their " R's "

KB_Texas

Sow Thai Lawang Farang!

Post by KB_Texas » July 5, 2013, 3:25 pm

Parrot...there is a book called Thailand Fever that is written in both Thai and English. Before my wife and I got engaged, we both read it, and it did provide a decent overview of the differences between Thai and Western culture, from both points of view. I would recommend anyone read it who is contemplating a Thai/Western relationship. It will not answer all the questions, but it does provide a very good basis for discussion with your SO.

KB

parrot
udonmap.com

Sow Thai Lawang Farang!

Post by parrot » July 5, 2013, 5:24 pm

KB_Texas wrote:Parrot...there is a book called Thailand Fever that is written in both Thai and English. Before my wife and I got engaged, we both read it, and it did provide a decent overview of the differences between Thai and Western culture, from both points of view. I would recommend anyone read it who is contemplating a Thai/Western relationship. It will not answer all the questions, but it does provide a very good basis for discussion with your SO.

KB
KB_Texas wrote:Parrot...there is a book called Thailand Fever that is written in both Thai and English. Before my wife and I got engaged, we both read it, and it did provide a decent overview of the differences between Thai and Western culture, from both points of view. I would recommend anyone read it who is contemplating a Thai/Western relationship. It will not answer all the questions, but it does provide a very good basis for discussion with your SO.

KB

KB, thanks......but after 40+ years of marital bliss, I'm merely looking for an interesting book to practice my Thai. On that note, I'd need several sets of hands to count the number of Thai/American marriages that are into their 15++ year of marriage. At least 2 sets of hands for marriages 25+. They're all as happy as any all-American couple married equally as long. Ups and downs, bumps and clashes, but in the end, their marriages survive.

KB_Texas

Sow Thai Lawang Farang!

Post by KB_Texas » July 5, 2013, 8:10 pm

Ah, I thought you were looking for books written in Thai. I knew you had been married a long time. :) The added bonus on this one is that there is an English version on one side and the Thai version on the other, so if you get stuck with the Thai, you may be able to figure out the meaning with the English.

As I said, my (future at the time) wife and I read it and discussed it at length. She read it in both Thai and English, and thought the English and Thai meant close to the same thing. I learned a lot I had no clue about, and further discussion may have helped mitigate some surprises/unpleasantness later on. ;) 6+ years later, I still think it helped.

KB

parrot
udonmap.com

Sow Thai Lawang Farang!

Post by parrot » July 5, 2013, 8:19 pm

And thanks for the tip on the book. My problem with Thai/English version books is it's too easy to peek at the translation when new words pop up. It's better (for me, anyway) to go through the torture of looking words up in a dictionary (a skill that surprisingly many Thais are not very good at!).
6+ years......I think that's over the hump! Good for you! I was in the military when we married.....had to go see the base chaplain as part of the marriage process. He interviewed both of us......and declared our marriage (if we married) would probably end in failure within the first year. We usually toast him with a klink of glasses at each of our anniversaries.

Return to “Relationships”