Ticks, injection or powder or?

Services for your special animal can be discussed in this topic: grooming, walking, selling, storing, and suchlike.
JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Post by JoeThrows » July 18, 2014, 10:45 am

i've been using a powder application on my dogs back but she's still getting quite a few ticks up here after playing in the tall grass. has anyone used a vet for injection to remove them? any recommendations?

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 18, 2014, 11:02 am

I have had dog injection for ticks and fleas
works good
need to no as least every 4 months
got it from the vet come school on Srisuk L-M 15 udon map
right hand side of the road heading NW
has goverment buildings there with a small building on your right as you drive in

croc
udonmap.com

Post by croc » July 18, 2014, 11:17 am

Back home I used to Hunt with my Dog and Ticks were a Plenty, I used to give him a clove of Garlic every day and yes the ticks would get on but after a taste of the Garlic, they would drop off, sounds odd, but it worked. he was a Mastiff X Rotty and 70+ Kg's, so may have to give a smaller amount of Garlic to a smaller dog, but it was natural and can not do any harm either way, and in Australia Vet Bills were ( Probably still are ) more expensive that Human Doctor Bills, and I was based to far away from a Vet, so the Garlic was Cheaper and a Natural Remedy for the Tick Issue. It's Worth a try.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » July 18, 2014, 11:22 am

Actually I use both, But, the injection is best I think.

I also found a place to buy the flea collars, so they are in use as well. Two of the dogs are outside at night and inside during the day. Wife has made a hobby of checking each one of them every evening. she still finds some occasionally

With three dogs it can get tricky two love the car one doesn't and needs a muzzle to go the Vet.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » July 18, 2014, 11:28 am

If your thinking of going with Garlic, you should read this first .... http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... jjq68F8FMA

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Post by JoeThrows » July 18, 2014, 11:36 am

thanks for all the replies. pretty sure i'm going to try the injection at least once. wife and MIL were sitting next to the dog this morning when what seemed like dozens of new tick babies started crawling off of her. i had just put more powder on her two days ago.

i haven't ever given my dog garlic to eat for keeping ticks off, simply because i have tried eating garlic myself and never found it to work at all for me. i do however smash up some garlic and a couple of chilis and mix that with a couple cups of water and some dish soap and give the dog a bath with it. you can literally watch the ticks come rolling off once they've had a taste of it.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 18, 2014, 11:38 am

Injection, last about 6 weeks. Cost depends on weight of dog, 45 kilo 200bt for my Pit Bull and I buy the syringe with meds and do it myself. The little dogs 2 chihuahuas and a pug my wife takes to the vet. The shop I use sells me an imported brand, Germany I think and very effective. I don't bother with powder, but I do use a flee and tick protection shampoo.

TGSA01
udonmap.com

Post by TGSA01 » July 18, 2014, 11:54 am

I have five big dogs, they all get FRONTLINE (and yes, one piece garlic daily too). Frontline works well, a bit costly, only lasts around 6 weeks, I suppose. Will try the injections now, see whether that lasts a bit longer. So far, no problems with ticks nor fleas though.

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Post by JoeThrows » July 18, 2014, 12:20 pm

papaguido wrote:Injection, last about 6 weeks. Cost depends on weight of dog, 45 kilo 200bt for my Pit Bull and I buy the syringe with meds and do it myself. The little dogs 2 chihuahuas and a pug my wife takes to the vet. The shop I use sells me an imported brand, Germany I think and very effective. I don't bother with powder, but I do use a flee and tick protection shampoo.
which vet are you buying the syringe and meds at? also, i'm assuming it's a subcutaneous injection? are you pinching the skin on the back and injecting there?

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 18, 2014, 2:28 pm

JoeThrows wrote:
papaguido wrote:Injection, last about 6 weeks. Cost depends on weight of dog, 45 kilo 200bt for my Pit Bull and I buy the syringe with meds and do it myself. The little dogs 2 chihuahuas and a pug my wife takes to the vet. The shop I use sells me an imported brand, Germany I think and very effective. I don't bother with powder, but I do use a flee and tick protection shampoo.
which vet are you buying the syringe and meds at? also, i'm assuming it's a subcutaneous injection? are you pinching the skin on the back and injecting there?
Yes just under the skin and just about under the dog's collar on it's back (per vet's instructions). The vet is on the left hand side, just past the U-turn, if coming from Big C. Otherwise, from the other direction it will be immediately on the left after completing the U-turn. The name of the vet is in Thai script, but you shouldn't miss the big green sign at the top of the building. I think they open at 9AM.

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Post by JoeThrows » July 18, 2014, 2:55 pm

great i think i know right where that's at, thanks.

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Post by JoeThrows » July 18, 2014, 4:31 pm

was just headed out to find the vet when my wife spotted a large vet's office less than 5 minutes from my house. syringe and tick medication was 80thb. bought a bottle of flea and tick shampoo and a new collar, total for all three was 220thb.

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » July 19, 2014, 8:14 am

I lost a great Dog due to ticks. now I take my new dog to the Vet near the Airport. Injection given every 2 months. 80BAHT, NEVER SEE ANY TICKS

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » July 19, 2014, 9:06 am

Ivermec is the stuff used in injections. Used on cattle, sheep etc. It is the ONLY thing that works on our dogs. We buy it by the small bottle c/w syringes from the local pet shop, administer it ourselves every 2 months, amount depending on dog weight. 220 baht is enough for about a year. Frontline, shampoo and powder have never worked consistantly for us.

Return to “Pet Services”