Arrivals were up 3.1% from Europe in the first 7 months

General Udon Thani topics only!
wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » August 29, 2014, 8:38 am

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tou ... -fall-10-9

Tourist arrivals still falling
Published: 16 Aug 2014 at 11.32 | Viewed: 23,025 | Comments: 83Online news: TourismWriter: Online Reporters
The number of international tourists arriving in Thailand in July fell 10.9% from a year earlier, according to data from the Department of Tourism, showing the industry has not recovered from the impact of prolonged political tension.

The lucrative tourism sector, which accounts for about 10% of the economy, suffered its biggest drop in visitors in June - the first full month after the army took power on May 22 in a bid to end tensions and get economic activity going again.

International arrivals in July totalled 1.91 million, compared with 1.56 million in June and 2.15 million in July 2013, according to data posted on the department's website late Friday.

Arrivals from China, the country's single biggest visitor source accounting for 18% of all tourists in July, tumbled 25.3%.

For the first seven months of the year, international arrivals totalled 13.62 million, down 10.7% from 15.26 million a year earlier, an even steeper drop than the first-half decline of 9.9%.

By region, arrivals from East Asia were down 17.6% for the first seven months of 2014 from a year earlier. Arrivals were up 3.1% from Europe and 9.6% from Africa. Declines were seen from the Americas (3.5%), the Middle East (6.9%), South Asia (10%) and Oceania (1.6%).

Arrivals from Asean, which account for 26.8% of all foreign tourists, were down 9.8%.

Among large individual markets, Malaysia accounted for 9.8% of all visitors to Thailand and arrivals through July were down 19.9% from a year earlier to 1.34 million. Visitors from Japan (5% of the total) were down 21%, South Korea (4.6% share) declined 17%, the United States (3.3% share) fell 5.2% and Australian arrivals (3.6% share) were off 1.1%.

The United Kingdom, with a 4% share of all visitors to Thailand, was one of the few large markets to record a gain, of 6.2%.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 29, 2014, 8:52 am

If I'm reading the numbers correctly a lot of South Koreans visit Thailand. I didn't know that but I can recall reading Korean men are very keen consumers of commercial sxx.

The Brits seem to have read the situation best - no need to be deterred by a military coup. What's the matter with the Japs? I thought they were made of sterner stuff. The drop in Aussie numbers is most likely their wobbly economy rather than fears of Thai soldiers.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » August 29, 2014, 8:58 am

Must have missed their advertising drive for tourists from Africa,must be the South Africans coming en masse :D :-"

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » August 29, 2014, 3:29 pm

good for hotels around lower Suhkumvit

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » August 29, 2014, 6:34 pm

I think the Malays realize the situation here; they're probably just afraid to fly :| Suppose they could take the bus, but I've never wanted to do that to go there from Thailand. Would you?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 30, 2014, 11:23 pm

Tourism is 10% of GDP, so the recession is going to be well and truly confirmed soon, it was in June.

Standby for a property balloon bust ??

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » August 31, 2014, 4:20 am

10% of 10% is 1% of the total. Property balloon bust...? Possibly. Not sure if that'll do it.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » August 31, 2014, 12:43 pm

So, down 10% in the first 7 months. And the immigration counters were quiet when i passed through Swampy in August, no Russian accents ...... Only the Brits up because exchange rate better and more are working. No wonder they are backtracking on the Tourist visa crackdown.

youngfoggy

Post by youngfoggy » September 2, 2014, 4:34 am

maybe that people have finally realised that there are other places to go in asia where you are not being constantly ripped off by locals and governments alike where the beaches are kept a lot cleaner no sewage in the sea ie pattaya no indians no russians no falangs committing suicide by being thrown off balconies.Ican not wait to get back in december.

youngfoggy

Post by youngfoggy » September 2, 2014, 4:44 am

no backtracking on tourist visa £25 single entry and the only plaice you can get one now in England is london and thats full of indians and russians only missing the terds on the beach ond it would feel like home.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » September 2, 2014, 5:07 am

youngfoggy wrote:no backtracking on tourist visa £25 single entry and the only plaice you can get one now in England is london and thats full of indians and russians only missing the terds on the beach ond it would feel like home.
youngfoggy wrote:maybe that people have finally realised that there are other places to go in asia where you are not being constantly ripped off by locals and governments alike where the beaches are kept a lot cleaner no sewage in the sea ie pattaya no indians no russians no falangs committing suicide by being thrown off balconies.Ican not wait to get back in december.
Jesus, Pattaya is that bad now? I haven't been for more than 5 years and even then it was becoming a ---- hole. I would say that fifteen years ago and prior to that we're the best times in Pattaya, although the rip offs, tea money and Falangs launching themselves off the top floor at the Lek Hotel was common they were very easy to avoid.
Curiosity will take me back there sometime I expect.
English people still flock to Thailand, figures are up.

OT................... \:D/

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”