Anyone Recently Applied for a Marriage Visa ( Udon Thani )

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Nong Bua Dave
udonmap.com

Post by Nong Bua Dave » September 18, 2014, 12:05 pm

Having done my extension in Bangkok for the last 13 years, this was the first time in Udon.
It is a bit different, but Papaguido's list is spot on, except if you are doing it using the THB400,000 in the bank route.
You will need a letter from the bank stating it has been aged for 2 months as well as copies of your passbook showing a deposit/withdrawal within the last day before you apply for the extension.
The one thing we had overlooked was the witness. It was never a requirement in Bangkok, but it is in Udon.
This meant we had to go back again the next day, to complete everything.
We also supplied a Google Map print out, as well as my wife's hand drawn map - both were accepted.
On our return following the normal "under consideration" period, my wife did not take a number, but went to the desk and showed my passport with the stamp page open. It was given straight away to the "boss' at the back, who signed, stamped and gave back within about 5 minutes.
Overall, my impression of the Udon Thani Immigration was good. The service was efficient and helpful.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » September 18, 2014, 12:54 pm

Does anything change if you have a child, and a yellow book with same address

Udonhoward
udonmap.com

Post by Udonhoward » September 18, 2014, 1:17 pm

Thanks for the info. I will drop by immigration, see if there are any recent changes.

dilmog
udonmap.com

Post by dilmog » September 18, 2014, 5:17 pm

Picked this up from Udon Immigration last month
Visa 11.jpg
Married Visa Info

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » September 18, 2014, 9:20 pm

Last time I renewed my extension due to married to a Thai I didn't need the witness. Only for the original extension. Plus they told me I should have made some type of bank transaction on the day I applied for the renewal so my bank book would reflect the correct amount of savings on the day and the bank letter had to be dated on the day I applied for the renewal. Pictures, 1 yourself and wife outside your residence with the house number on display, yourself and wife in the lounge and yourself and wife in the bedroom, they needed the originals and 1 copy. My originals were colour printed onto ordinary A4 and accepted, copies in black and white.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » September 18, 2014, 10:58 pm

most important: your marriage has to be registred in thailand if married abroad. the marriage document has to carry the so called "green stamp" from the ministry of foreign affairs in bkk (near laksi plaza at don muang airport).
if your marriage is not yet registred in thailand, your application will be refused by udon thani immigration.
ministry_of_foreign_affairs_stamp.png
ministry_of_foreign_affairs_stamp.png (122.07 KiB) Viewed 2707 times

dogger
udonmap.com

Post by dogger » September 19, 2014, 9:45 am

this is the problem I think for me, I was married in oz, never any problem getting a marriage visa in Brisbane, But getting a visa in Vientiane a proved impossible, so how do you get the very attractive green stamp?

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » September 19, 2014, 10:08 am

dogger wrote:so how do you get the very attractive green stamp?
  • contact the ministry of foreign affairs > Link. send them your questions by email. they answer. after that, travel to bkk by yourself, do the marriage registration by yourself.
  • if you can't travel to bkk by yourself, then use the "service" of somebody in udon thani like Link. but beware! these 2 ladies (mother and daughter) are quite questionable and their "service" is bloody expensive IMHO.

dogger
udonmap.com

Post by dogger » September 19, 2014, 10:58 am

I am partially disabled so will try to find someone that could do it on my behalf, thanks

Nong Bua Dave
udonmap.com

Post by Nong Bua Dave » September 19, 2014, 11:30 am

We were married in Hong Kong in 1994.
At first (2000-2010) Bangkok would accept an officially translated version, but around 2009 (?) they were reluctant to accept this - even though it was obvious we were legally married ans still together.
So, we went to the Dong Muang council office (we lived in Don Muang at the tme)and registered our marriage in Thailand. This was quite simple and over in about an hour. Since then, I have presented both documents when doing my extension.
No problem either in Bangkok or Udon - just a couple of extra bits of paper for the files.
As for the witness Chriss, it might be they want one the first time you apply in Udon. But once they kknow you they "trust you"?

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » September 19, 2014, 2:59 pm

Nong Bua Dave wrote:....As for the witness Chriss, it might be they want one the first time you apply in Udon. But once they kknow you they "trust you"?....
it's not a matter of trust - it's the law that requests a witness.
  • this summer, i applied in udon thani for the 3rd consecutive year - and year after year they need to have a witness.
  • so we always ask the "phu chai ban" to come to the immigration as our witness. he had to bring his house book and his id-card as well.
take notice: same procedere every year, same paperwork, same same - but new photos!
;)

Nong Bua Dave
udonmap.com

Post by Nong Bua Dave » September 19, 2014, 3:28 pm

The older guy, who I think has been there a long time, told my wife "always",too. So, I'm not sure what happened with Chriss? Maybe he was doing a Retirement Visa extension, where I don't think the witness is required ?
Anyway unless told otherwise, we'll take our neighbour with us again next year.
And, of course we'll take some new photos in the same old places!!!

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » September 19, 2014, 4:25 pm

Nong Bua Dave wrote:Anyway unless told otherwise, we'll take our neighbour with us again next year.
this would do fine - but the "phu chai ban" is a more official way.
think about it and ask your wife as well.
anyway - it's good to know the "phu chai ban" personally.

Udonhoward
udonmap.com

Post by Udonhoward » November 3, 2014, 6:07 pm

Renewed my Non-Immigrant O (Thai wife) visa today. I thought I would post everything that they required at Udon Thani Immigration office. I had done a lot of research, but of course I hadn't anticipated everything, so I had to return home once, to get my divorce papers. Also, my wife's ID card was set to expire in a week, so we had to go get her a new one. We have no children together, and I qualified based on my income alone.

Here's the complete list, in no particular order:
• Originals plus two copies of each unless otherwise specified.
• All copies signed (by myself, my wife, of my witness as appropriate).

□ Application form – TM7 (two originals)
□ Photographs of me – 4 x 6 cm. (two originals)
□ Passport (two copies of relevant pages)
□ Marriage Certificate
□ House Registration Book (Yellow Book)
□ Wife’s ID card
□ Certified Marriage Registration (Kor Ro Song) (two originals)
□ Income Verification Form (from Embassy, two originals)
□ Photos of myself and wife (two copies):
• In front of house with house number
• In living room from one angle
• In living room from opposite angle
• In bedroom
□ Google map to house
□ Hand drawn map to house
□ One witness (not directly related to wife)
• ID card.
• Home registration book.
□ Exit Card – TM 6
□ Wife’s House Book (Blue Book)
□ Divorce papers from previous marriage (twenty years ago!)
□ Divorce papers from previous marriage – Certified Thai translation

The entire process took about two hours total.
I've decide next time I'm just going to go for the retirement visa... :?

Hope this is helpful.

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » November 3, 2014, 8:13 pm

> I've decide next time I'm just going to go for the retirement visa...

Exactly my conclusion. Married since years but reading about this time consuming nonsense I always used Business visa. One day might change to retirement, but Marriage visa they can shove up their... :-$ :-#

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » November 3, 2014, 8:22 pm

Why do people still put up with the Marriage visa nonsense here in Udon when it has been well documented that you can go to Savanaket Lao and get the visa the same day without showing any funds ?

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/p ... ml#p395788

goshawk
udonmap.com

Post by goshawk » November 3, 2014, 8:38 pm

GARYZX6R wrote:Why do people still put up with the Marriage visa nonsense here in Udon when it has been well documented that you can go to Savanaket Lao and get the visa the same day without showing any funds ?

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/p ... ml#p395788
From a personal point,i done it because i can,t be bothered with all the stamps filling my passport up,before the expirary date

garethbeachbum
udonmap.com

Post by garethbeachbum » November 3, 2014, 11:21 pm

Apologies if I'm mistaken but having read through all the comments and additional threads, it appears that most people are commenting on RENEWING a marriage Visa, rather than applying for the first time?
I wish to apply for a marriage visa for the first time and visited the Udon Thani immigration office last week with my wife, our daughter and my mother in law but was told (by the young girl at the desk on the left as you walk in) that the initial Visa can only be issued in Laos (or another Thai embassy)....it is only possible to renew/extend a Visa at the Udon office.
I have only a 30 days visa on arrival. In the past I have visited the Hull Consulate and obtained a multi-entry tourist visa but had hoped that I could sort out a Visa here this time as I'm now married (and I wasn't in the UK anyway, so couldn't go to Hull).
Does anyone have experience of obtaining a marriage visa in Vientiane, Laos? Do you need the same documents as have been outlined here? Or something else?
If obtaining a marriage visa for the first time (in Laos) is as difficult/complicated/frustrating as others here have experienced when renewing an existing marriage Visa, then perhaps it would be easier to apply for a multi entry tourist visa? Although I believe that in Laos they only issue a double entry? (so only 4 months stay in total) whereas Hull gave me a triple entry in the past (so 6 months total). I intend to stay here for 6 months so just need to cover myself for that period.
Thanks for your help.

Photoman
udonmap.com

Post by Photoman » November 4, 2014, 4:47 am

Thank you all , very informative

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Re: Anyone Recently Applied for a Marriage Visa ( Udon Than

Post by JoeThrows » November 4, 2014, 6:40 am

I was just in there yesterday, for the third time, for stupid ---- they seem to make up on the fly. Even the big boss at the amphur was asking why immigration insisted I correct a birth certificate for one child ( Samui amphur typo) when I was applying for marriage visa, not child based.

Pic of me and the wife sitting on our bed? Eat a bowl of dicks, Thailand.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”