Another shocking tourist death

Thailand news, views and comments
socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » September 21, 2014, 6:47 am

"He revealed the finding just before boarding a flight to Surat Thani today to direct the investigation and hunting down the suspects".

I suspect he couldn't direct piss at porcelain.

"Pol Gen Somyot also said the Royal Thai Police has now suspended its earlier plan to seek help from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) after forensic doctors could conduct deeper test of the Y chromosome DNA test".

Beyond belief! Why would they disregard help from the FBI? Call me old fashioned if you like, but IMO I think many investigators here would be unable to trace an Elephant with diarrhea in the snow.

I sincerely hope that there is justice for the families and friends of the two victims.

Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » September 21, 2014, 8:32 am

New evidence

Investigation into the brutal murder of two English tourists on Koh Tao Island is progressing with the police said they have found new evidence from CCTV footage of an Asian man wearing the pants of one of the victims.

The police have put out reward of 100,000 baht for information on the Asian man’s whereabout as now he is the most suspected murderer.

The new lead to the murder probe came as a team of investigators compared closed-circuit TV footage taken from the areas, and uncovered incriminating evidence on one particular individual.

Footage from the resort where Mr David Miller was residing showed him wearing a cream colored boxer shorts as he was walking toward the beach.

Comparing that footage to another at allocation nearby which captured the image of an Asian male shows the suspicious individual running pass the CCTV camera (from the direction of the crime scene) wearing the exact same shorts. A blue colored pants that was found by the body of Mr David is now believed to belong to the suspect.

This indicated that he mistakenly grabbed the pants of the victim to wear and left his own at the scene in a hurry as shown in the CCTV showing he ran pass hurriedly.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-ev ... rder-case/
Alba gu bràth

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 21, 2014, 10:46 am

I'd like to think they worked this out more or less straight away. I wonder if the perps are sons of hi sos and have been given time to leave Thailand.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » September 21, 2014, 10:51 am

GT93 wrote:I'd like to think they worked this out more or less straight away. I wonder if the perps are sons of hi sos and have been given time to leave Thailand.
you could be correct , i,m sure i saw a FERRARI going down the beach ..... get real ... [-X

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » September 21, 2014, 11:44 am

So they should be doing a mass dna testing of the locals on the island if they are serious :-k ,any dna samples that have similar strains ie from older population/females should narrow it down :-k
So if goes unsolved would have to wait for the perps to commit another crime somewhere to link the dna :|

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » September 21, 2014, 3:02 pm

socksy wrote:"Pol Gen Somyot also said the Royal Thai Police has now suspended its earlier plan to seek help from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) after forensic doctors could conduct deeper test of the Y chromosome DNA test".

Beyond belief! Why would they disregard help from the FBI?
Perhaps they didn't have the proper visas and a work permit? :-"

I remember after the "Boxing Day" tsunami, one government official being concerned that relief workers didn't have the proper documents to help. That concern was pretty short lived though...

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » September 21, 2014, 8:59 pm

As those of you that personally know me, I have no love for the fumbling bureau of idiots, can you say COINTELPRO. They are not always the good guys and have had more than their share of problems with evidence that they would rather people not know about. I've attended their classes, and one of my instructors in NM Law Enforcement Academy was retired fbi. I liked him even though he kept trying to figure out where he knew me from, I never told...lol. All that being said, I suspect the fbi wanted no part of this as the evidence is probably contaminated and certainly the chain of evidence is not only broken but doesn't even exist. While no where as good as their reputation, they aren't going to get involved with bad evidence and then have the blame put on them, I don't think.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » September 22, 2014, 12:59 pm

It's being reported in the British press today that everyone on the island is being DNA tested. That is a big task.
Alba gu bràth

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 23, 2014, 12:50 pm

I would have thought the perps will have legged it or driven their dad's Ferrari up the beach well away from the scene by now. They're probably in Bangkok or Pattaya. Unless they're psychopaths, I don't think they will have had a fun week. Let's hope by next week they've been collared.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » September 23, 2014, 4:58 pm

The BIB are saying they have one suspect in custody and another has escaped to Bangkok. Still lots of contradiction in the information etc. but apparently suspects are kin folk of the the AC bar owner and head honcho of the island. Remains to be seen how this plays out but it appears to have been "Keystone Cops" up to this point. We must also realize that what we read from the BIB is translated and I think we know Thai does not translate well.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 24, 2014, 8:25 am

MURDERS AT KOH TAO (The Nation)

Police free bar owners and look for ex-village headman's son

BANGKOK: -- Police are looking for the son of a former Koh Tao village headman in their pursuit of the killers of two British backpackers on the night of September 14, after learning that the man left the island the following morning.
A police source said the man they want to find landed on the Surat Thani coast and disappeared. Police say they want to interrogate him first.
The police last night released two men, who own Intouch Bar and AC Pub on the resort island, after interrogating them for three hours and finding no evidence linking them to the crime.
One of the two men released last night, who reporters did not identify, said he was unable to contact his son and did not know if he had a hand in the killings.
Another man, the younger brother of the former village headman, who is believed to be the man seen on a security camera near the crime scene, is still in custody.
Pol Lt-General Panya Mamen, who is overseeing the investigation, said yesterday that the headman's son is believed to be hiding in Bangkok. Panya refused to reveal the suspects' names, saying police were questioning one man and expected to arrest another in Bangkok today.
Today marks the 10th day since David Miller and Hannah Witheridge were brutally murdered on the island. Both suffered serious head wounds, while police said Witheridge was also sexually assaulted.
"We expect results within 48 hours as DNA samples have been sent out for testing, and we are confident in this latest turn in the investigation," he said.
All sides should have confidence in the police investigation and believe that no scapegoats will be arrested so that the case can be closed, he said.
"The world has been watching the case and police has been doing what it can to ensure that the evidence obtained is strong and tight enough to arrest the killers," he said.
Panya also promised that the investigation would not be influenced by reports that some influential persons on the island might try to obstruct police work.
The chief investigator was speaking after police had summoned the owner of the Intouch Bar for questioning after investigators discovered that both victims had visited the bar and had had an altercation before they were found dead. Another person summoned was the owner of AC Pub, who local residents say is an influential person and the older brother of the man who owns Intouch Bar. Panya led the interrogation of both individuals.
Local people and tourism operators on the island yesterday attended an annual religious rite to make merit for their deceased loved ones. They also made merit for the slain Britons and prayed that the police would be able to arrest the killers.
Meanwhile, a police source said it was not possible that people on the island did not have any knowledge of what might have happened on the night of the murder. The source said may be they don't want to talk to police, as they do not want to have problems with an influential group.
Udom Tantiprasonchai, an executive with Orient Thai Airways, said he will add Bt500,000 to the bounty placed for arrest of the killers, Senee Puwasettathaworn, president of Koh Samui Tourism Association, said.
This sum will bring the total bounty up to Bt713,000.
Though the murders took place more than a week ago, and police have yet to charge anyone, tourism has not been affected too badly as it is still the low season. Local tourism operators, meanwhile, said they would not put any pressure on police, leaving them to focus on the job at hand.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » September 24, 2014, 8:39 am

So if Police want to dna everyone as per the link, why just only interrogate and take peoples word :roll: Resident population of 2100,should not take long :roll:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29306635

Read few days ago people were going to the spot in question to have their photo taken,normal people :-k :roll:

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » October 5, 2014, 2:12 am

The Thai police might not want me on a jury if there was one in respect of the Burmese men facing the Koh Tao murder charges. Something doesn't smell right here.

If western journos start digging around Thailand might end up being humiliated on this. It would mean the story could drag on for years whereas if they had put the right guys away it would die more quickly.

Let's hope they do have the real perps.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 5, 2014, 3:28 am

scapegoats
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 5, 2014, 7:42 am

mmm I wonder who got the 713,000 thb bounty. Just boosted by 500,000 recently.

In the article there is a mention a couple of time of an influential person and an influential group, is this another name for what was something else in the past?
and the tourist operators would not put any pressure ( or is that influence ) on police and let them do their job.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 5, 2014, 8:37 am

The Police have made a rod for their own backs here by originally refusing scientific police help from outside the country - be that via the FBI or the British Police.
No one other than the gullible will ever believe that these Burmese workers were anything but scapegoats given that DNA evidence can be transferred from one place to another easy enough.
The entire 'investigation' has been a shambles of gigantic proportions.
As ever showing Thailand in a favourable light is paramount & justice comes a far second.

For all the fine words, the engine driver may have changed but the train is still full speed ahead in the same direction.

The idea that the investigators should be rewarded is a disgrace & an insult to the families & friends of the innocent couple who died.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » October 5, 2014, 9:05 am

According to this photo on twitter. The victims phone which was said to be found in one of the accused possession was in actual fact given to the police by her friend immediately after the murder.So how did it get into the accused possession later ? Obviously planted. :-"
BzCW8IICEAAdHHh.jpg
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » October 5, 2014, 10:12 am

The level of incompetence is unbelievable. The cops can't even do the frame up right. Investigation? we don't need no stinkin' investigation. The cops said from the git-go what nationality the fall guys would be. While not a detective or murder investigator I was a commissioned/certified law enforcement officer for 10 years and do know a bit about crime scene, witness interview, evidence preservation etc. This has been a cluster fk from the git go and I suspect much of it was on purpose.

Once the cops changed their minds, rather abruptly, about the Fumbling Bureau of Idiots (fbi) help one had to know the fix was on. While certainly not the most honest nor as efficient as their propaganda would have one believe and also know to screw up evidence, with the international spotlight on I rather suspect the fbi would have done the dna testing very, very carefully. Perhaps not coming up with the desired result.

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » October 5, 2014, 11:03 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:scapegoats
+1000%.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 5, 2014, 11:18 am

Koh Tao Murders: Thai Authorities Deny 'Scapegoat' Allegation
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.ph ... 1412420090
“The police are doing their job. If the police hear your accusation, they will be sad," Gen. Prawit said.
&, of course, the police in the area are as pure as driven snow...
Well, apparently that is NOT the case at all..
Koh Tao's other little secret: police extortion
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion ... 44774.html
According to our findings, out of the 5,000 migrant workers on Koh Tao, about 2,000 work illegally without proper permits. To get around that each 'illegal' has to pay police Bt500 a month. And if they want to use a motorcycle, that's another Bt500 a month to get around the driver's licence issue.

According to the local district chief, there are 3,300 migrant workers, mostly from Myanmar, registered to work on the island. By regulation, they have to pay Bt1,305 each year so they are entitled to the social security scheme.

Return to “Thailand News”