Udon as a Container Terminal

Udon Thani news, views and comments
bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » October 17, 2014, 6:02 pm

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -trade-hub

This is an interesting a new twist something is certainly happening in the area.

I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » October 18, 2014, 1:31 pm

Would be a good idea if the rail network was up to scratch but with the present (poorly maintained) narrow gauge I feel a bit of a long shot.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » October 18, 2014, 1:38 pm

Wonderful news. :roll:
I can hardly wait for Udon to become known as the Klong Toey or Lab Chabang of the North East. :-"

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -trade-hub
"If Udon Thani had an intermodal yard where freight containers can be shifted between trains and trucks quickly, the province could become a trade centre", Deputy Prime Minister MR Pridiyathorn Devakula said.

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

Post by BossHogg69 » October 18, 2014, 2:42 pm

watch out lads many more lorries soon, forget the rail it will take years to get upgraded if ever.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 18, 2014, 4:39 pm

The single rail SRT from Khorat to Nong Khai was re-ballasted, with new track and concrete sleepers installed within the last couple of years. All railroad crossings in the area were redone also (and it wasn't done right the first time...). Double tracking would indeed be a large project but not one that couldn't be accomplished within two years if adequate funds (and minimal graft) are committed to the project.. I believe all the studies are completed for it along with a planned spur from south of Khon Khaen going northeast to Sakon Nakon and on to Nakhon Phanom.
Dave

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 18, 2014, 5:11 pm

So what mode of transport is used now that would be replaced by rail containers?
Is it road containers all the way to and from BKK

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » October 18, 2014, 5:20 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:The single rail SRT from Khorat to Nong Khai was re-ballasted, with new track and concrete sleepers installed within the last couple of years. All railroad crossings in the area were redone also (and it wasn't done right the first time...). Double tracking would indeed be a large project but not one that couldn't be accomplished within two years if adequate funds (and minimal graft) are committed to the project.. I believe all the studies are completed for it along with a planned spur from south of Khon Khaen going northeast to Sakon Nakon and on to Nakhon Phanom.
Thee in is the problem lots of things approved. But, no funding yet.

Graft I'm waiting to see what happens with the big wigs in Pattaya selling beach property. Taking it away from the buyers is hardly enough to settle that one up.

I wouldn't look forward to that project at all/ We have enough sugar cane trucks to dodge as it is.

I believe as to Thailand we are really pretty centrally located between the M North and Bangkok.

The Pot Ashe has not went anywhere.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 18, 2014, 7:35 pm

if the dual tracking gets built, if SRT buys new modern rolling stock.. Then and only then would it be economical to have a transshipment point (inland harbor) to move containers from trucks to train for further shipment to Bangkok and Laem Chabang Port..

As for the Potash Mining operation... I still have my suspicions that this building off 22 about 10km east of old Big C might be a small mining operation (based on photo matching with other Potash mineheads). https://www.google.co.th/maps/@17.33773 ... !1e3?hl=en Remember, the potash deposit is located from east of Udon and then south towards Ban Nong Takai at a depth of 300-500 meters.
Dave

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 20, 2014, 12:39 am

Good post, Bumpster.
Udon Thani governor Nopawat Singsakda said the gross domestic product of Udon Thani amounted to 94 billion baht yearly, the third-highest GDP among northeastern provinces after Nakhon Ratchasima and Khon Kaen.
Op cit.

I reckon UTH will overtake the otehr two in terms of GDP soon.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 20, 2014, 1:52 am

Earnest wrote:Good post, Bumpster.
Udon Thani governor Nopawat Singsakda said the gross domestic product of Udon Thani amounted to 94 billion baht yearly, the third-highest GDP among northeastern provinces after Nakhon Ratchasima and Khon Kaen.
Op cit.

I reckon UTH will overtake the otehr two in terms of GDP soon.

Some interesting numbers are at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Th ... ces_by_GPP

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » October 20, 2014, 8:35 am

That was interesting Udon at .79% the higher numbers were much closer to Bangkok

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 21, 2014, 3:21 am

But then Bangers is a primate city, isn't it.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Return to “Udon Thani News”