Motorbike Fatality / Know Him? [Tambon Na Ka]

General Udon Thani topics only!
papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » October 23, 2014, 12:44 pm

thaiguzzi wrote:Well it's not Yorkshire Craig, he died on a motorbike last week, in his village, and was cremated two days later, last Tuesday. Craig was one of the good ones. RIP.
craig passed on ?

Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » October 23, 2014, 2:26 pm

jingjai wrote:
What I fail to understand is this, I'm talking about farang motorbike riders now... Men who have worked hard their entire lives, raised families, did their best to be frugal and live within their means, saved money in banks, retirement funds, pensions, etc, so someday they could retire comfortably...

Then they retire here, throw caution to the wind, and ride a motorbike in this lunatic asylum.

I have friends who have been in a couple accidents already. Doesn't seem to faze them.

To add insult to injury, I've even observed a few of these devil-may-care retirees, riding around helmet-less, and small children riding helmet-less with them. :shock: UNBELIEVABLE!

When I ask some of the guys why? They usually reply with the same answer: "It's easier to find parking".

I always want to reply with something like this: 'Try parking a van with a wheelchair lift in it'. But, I don't, I just smile, and say: "Be Careful". :D
Well said jingjai. I came to retire here and after having survived 2 million kms in Europe, including collisions, I decided that when I die it shouldn't be in an avoidable accident. I have driven in crazy cities like Paris, Milan, London, but Thailand is the worst as there is no fear for accidents. I always drive with "worst scenario" in my mind, expecting the unexpected. Needless to say that I'm concentrated on driving, no phone, smoke, looking at passengers. Too dangerous to drop concentration.

Motorbikers (farang), no helmet, driving against the traffic, jumping red lights, drink and drive, being a vulnerable driver on a motorbike I would expect even more cautiousness, but...

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » October 23, 2014, 4:18 pm

Riding a big bike is something some of us love. I have been riding bikes since I was eleven years of age, I have always had one, I love riding and working on them, I didn't come here to retire, I came here permanently at the age of thirty two and have worked the entire time, retirement will come in another two years, for me there is nothing better than heading off for a long ride with mates. Safety gear is important however if you have a head on it wont do much, a good quality helmet is a must, gloves, boots and a jacket and knowing your limits, I always cringe when I see riders in a pair of shorts, thongs, no shirt and no helmet.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » October 23, 2014, 4:24 pm

hear hear that man
after three sets of broken ribs, a broken ankle, a chainsaw in the mouth, and untold football injuries, its dawning on me that the days of big motorbikes, faster horses , is now down to younger women only...and god was it nice spooning on the back of the TGF's scooter as we puttered along thru the countryside today,with my big mitts all over her...oyiiiiiiiiii..

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » October 23, 2014, 5:04 pm

Riding a big bike is something some of us love. I have been riding bikes since I was eleven years of age, I have always had one, I love riding and working on them...
...knowing your limits, I always cringe when I see riders in a pair of shorts, thongs, no shirt and no helmet.
I think you are an exception to the rule coxo. You have years of experience.
However, most of the men I know who ride motor bikes, have never had any experience riding motor bikes, or big bikes, before they came here. So, in essence...they don't know their limits, nor do the have any knowledge of safety gear, other than the cheap helmet they wear so they won't be hassled by BIB.
Everyday I see farang "riders in a pair of shorts, thongs, no shirt and no helmet." Maybe it's just quick trip to the mini-mart for a beer run? But, a lot can happen in 1.5km, ten minute R/T.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » October 23, 2014, 5:10 pm

maaka wrote:hear hear that man
after three sets of broken ribs, a broken ankle, a chainsaw in the mouth, and untold football injuries, its dawning on me that the days of big motorbikes, faster horses , is now down to younger women only...and god was it nice spooning on the back of the TGF's scooter as we puttered along thru the countryside today,with my big mitts all over her...oyiiiiiiiiii..
Oh maaka, so now your a bitches bitch :lol:

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » October 23, 2014, 8:15 pm

well for today at least Ardy...took the Flamethrower out the other day for a 16km test run, and man these last two days it feels like hot friggin knives are stuck in me back and chest, and I can barely write my Udonmap column..so cupping the TGF nibblets, and feeling her hips sway like a Tahitian lap dancer on my belly was well worth getting a serve from you..hehe

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 23, 2014, 8:30 pm

Having driven from Udon to Petchaburi and return over 3 days, all I can say is those who ride large bikes and overtake in the middle of the dual lanes, you deserve all you get.

Lets not talk about the group ride from BKK to Petchaburi , with over 20 big bikes, all doing the same stupid overtaking activity.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » October 23, 2014, 11:06 pm

looking more at the accident scene, looks like the white car did hit the brakes for a short distance.

the big cargo trucks off to the side on the worksite, -perhaps one was parked on the shoulder of the road, queued up, or even makes it's move out. (note the workers on the roadside along with the other observers) something got the white car to go into the oncoming traffic, either willfully or out of need to avoid a bigger hazard. people have little issue here with entering the oncoming traffic lanes if it's just motorbikes.

Guy on motorbike going the other way tries to get around a truck (or obstruction) also blocking his left side of the road (e.g. the entry of that worksite). he doesn't expect the white Honda to do what we all know any car or truck here WILL do. they'll come onto your side of the road. even if they are passing a bird on the road.

then, as per usual here, after the accident the obstructing truck(s) quickly moved into position onto the nearby worksite to escape the blame for obstructing the roadway. pretty small stretch of road. it's these "extra conditions" that occur that get you.

all just guesses above, but feel bad for the guy, RIP.

because this looks like conditions were not safe to begin with, even though the accident site is magically clear of hazards come photo time.

be careful out there.

no matter how expert you are, it's the *other drivers* that'll kill you out here.
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 24, 2014, 8:06 am

redwolf wrote:looking more at the accident scene, looks like the white car did hit the brakes for a short distance.

the big cargo trucks off to the side on the worksite, -perhaps one was parked on the shoulder of the road, queued up, or even makes it's move out. (note the workers on the roadside along with the other observers) something got the white car to go into the oncoming traffic, either willfully or out of need to avoid a bigger hazard. people have little issue here with entering the oncoming traffic lanes if it's just motorbikes.

Guy on motorbike going the other way tries to get around a truck (or obstruction) also blocking his left side of the road (e.g. the entry of that worksite). he doesn't expect the white Honda to do what we all know any car or truck here WILL do. they'll come onto your side of the road. even if they are passing a bird on the road.

then, as per usual here, after the accident the obstructing truck(s) quickly moved into position onto the nearby worksite to escape the blame for obstructing the roadway. pretty small stretch of road. it's these "extra conditions" that occur that get you.

all just guesses above, but feel bad for the guy, RIP.

because this looks like conditions were not safe to begin with, even though the accident site is magically clear of hazards come photo time.

be careful out there.

no matter how expert you are, it's the *other drivers* that'll kill you out here.

Pretty observant police work there Redwolf! It doesn't take much imagination for me to see that scenario in my mind 'cause I've already seen it in real time dozens of times. Unbelievable!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » October 24, 2014, 10:49 am

papafarang wrote:
thaiguzzi wrote:Well it's not Yorkshire Craig, he died on a motorbike last week, in his village, and was cremated two days later, last Tuesday. Craig was one of the good ones. RIP.
craig passed on ?
Yes. dead, about 12 days ago.

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » October 24, 2014, 10:52 am

coxo wrote:Riding a big bike is something some of us love. I have been riding bikes since I was eleven years of age, I have always had one, I love riding and working on them, I didn't come here to retire, I came here permanently at the age of thirty two and have worked the entire time, retirement will come in another two years, for me there is nothing better than heading off for a long ride with mates. Safety gear is important however if you have a head on it wont do much, a good quality helmet is a must, gloves, boots and a jacket and knowing your limits, I always cringe when I see riders in a pair of shorts, thongs, no shirt and no helmet.
+1. There is NOTHING better than heading off for a long ride with mates. Preferably several thousand kms and a couple of weeks. On the Road, man...

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » October 24, 2014, 11:05 am

thaiguzzi wrote:
papafarang wrote:
craig passed on ?
Yes. dead, about 12 days ago.
shame , had some good times with craig .R.I.P man.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

dtammakhung
udonmap.com

Post by dtammakhung » October 24, 2014, 11:33 am

Do police arrest drivers for careless driving before they are going to make an accident. My guess is no after numerous near head on collisions due to cutting corners and not understanding rules of roundabout and crossing not only center line but by going so far to the right they enter my designated motorcycle cycle lane on the other side of the road. What doesnt kill me makes me smarter 555. Am I paranoid to think an assassin is following Me? 10,000 baht for careless driving and vehicle confiscated until payment made. No payment, auction off the offending vehicle. 2025 Thailand a developed country, yes please. Thailand really needs to appoint a farang to improve safety.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”