Government school Holidays 2014

General Udon Thani topics only!
mackatwijan
udonmap.com

Post by mackatwijan » November 24, 2014, 4:06 pm

Hi

A mate of mine just told me that the government has given all government schools and public offices 9 days holiday at christmas and new year. That will mean all closed from Saturday 27th 2014 till Monday 5th January 2015.

This, I am told, is to give the Thais something to be happy about ( a christmas present form the general to the people)

Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

Mackatwijan

mackatwijan
udonmap.com

Post by mackatwijan » November 24, 2014, 4:46 pm

By the way this also means immigration is closed for 9 days

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 24, 2014, 6:18 pm

mackatwijan wrote:Hi

A mate of mine just told me that the government has given all government schools and public offices 9 days holiday at christmas and new year. That will mean all closed from Saturday 27th 2014 till Monday 5th January 2015.

This, I am told, is to give the Thais something to be happy about ( a christmas present form the general to the people)

Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

Mackatwijan
Can't confirm anything, but I can see this backfiring badly .... :-k

" is to give the Thais something to be happy about ( a christmas present form the general to the people)"

Most Thai parents I know spend most of their time trying to palm their kids off on someone else Aunts/Uncles/grandparents/neighbours ..... anyone but them, so not being able to dump them on the schoolteachers for an extra 9 days isn't going to go down too well :-"

mackatwijan
udonmap.com

Post by mackatwijan » November 24, 2014, 6:25 pm

Just been to see a local government officer about this and he confirms that all will be closed from 26th December 4.30pm till 08.30am on Moday 5th of January.Best get your visas and 90 days done before xmas because after it will be pure hell

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 24, 2014, 6:27 pm

I assume the non govt schools will break up a day or two earlier

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » November 25, 2014, 4:15 am

555 Another excuse for extra holidays to "make them happy". WTF? Soon there will be less school attendance days than holidays here. #-o
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » November 25, 2014, 7:39 am

socksy wrote:555 Another excuse for extra holidays to "make them happy". WTF? Soon there will be less school attendance days than holidays here. #-o
On a plus side, surely any foreigners here with kids at school will be delighted to have some quality time over the New Year.

TW was talking to a teacher friend recently who reckoned the Govt schools will close as normal in April but not reopen till September, so as to get in line with Asean schools.
A 5 month holiday, surely not.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 25, 2014, 8:16 am

Is their a difference if they are at school many treat it as a holiday, so why waste money opening them. On the down side though that many kids not at school for that length of time will be disastrous for many families, who look upon schools and teachers as a sort of unpaid babysitting process.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 25, 2014, 8:19 am

If true then this is not good news. :(
My girl has gazetted holidays from her school in Udon from Sat dec 13 till sunday Jan 4. My planned little family holiday touring away to distant regions may now find me crowded out with a lot of noisy little critters. 8-[

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 25, 2014, 10:29 am

Macca wrote:
socksy wrote:555 Another excuse for extra holidays to "make them happy". WTF? Soon there will be less school attendance days than holidays here. #-o
On a plus side, surely any foreigners here with kids at school will be delighted to have some quality time over the New Year.

TW was talking to a teacher friend recently who reckoned the Govt schools will close as normal in April but not reopen till September, so as to get in line with Asean schools.
A 5 month holiday, surely not.
No way.
Not even Thailand would make that sort of a change in one hit .... maybe an extra week each year until it gets adjusted. :-k

mackatwijan
udonmap.com

Post by mackatwijan » November 25, 2014, 1:17 pm

Just been to immigration and it is confirmed that all government establishments close on Friday 26th and open again on 5th January next year. So plan your stuff accordingly

mackatwijan
udonmap.com

Post by mackatwijan » November 27, 2014, 9:06 am

Update

Just been informed all Issan schools will close from the 5th December until the 15th December 2014. The reason is it is competition week in Issan and so If your kids are competing you will have known this already.

WTF the kids are only in school 14 days of the whole month of December. Amazing Thailand REALLY!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 27, 2014, 9:53 am

I think that's 13 days mackatwijan :shock:

And don't forget they will be watching TV or asleep for half of that :-"

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » November 27, 2014, 10:03 am

mackatwijan wrote:Update

Just been informed all Issan schools will close from the 5th December until the 15th December 2014. The reason is it is competition week in Issan and so If your kids are competing you will have known this already.

WTF the kids are only in school 14 days of the whole month of December. Amazing Thailand REALLY!
Can someone confirm as I've been confused again by different sources - including staff at the school

Is it 4th and 5th December holidays for the Kings Birthday or 5th and 8th. Trying to plan a trip away and need to book. Every forking time this sh*te happens and it pisses me right off. ](*,)
Alba gu bràth

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 27, 2014, 10:05 am

Competition week, so the schools close, and those not competing get a holiday :-k

Suppose it's different from when I was told you can join the Athletics group ...... 3 nights a week AFTER school and you get one afternoon off a year (whilst all the others were working) .........IF you get to the final of the competition.

Think I might have missed the training in the mud and cold if the other option was an extra week holidays :roll:

mackatwijan
udonmap.com

Post by mackatwijan » November 27, 2014, 10:06 am

Hi
Socksy the schools are open on 4th and the 8th just the 5th for the Kings Birthday

All schools opened on the 8th morning provisionally at the moment

mackatwijan
udonmap.com

Post by mackatwijan » November 27, 2014, 10:10 am

Hi
Statto it is academic competitions (English, science and maths mainly) not sports. That was last week for 3 days 555

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » November 27, 2014, 10:22 am

mackatwijan wrote:Hi
Socksy the schools are open on 4th and the 8th just the 5th for the Kings Birthday

All schools opened on the 8th morning provisionally at the moment
Thank you mackatwijan
Alba gu bràth

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 27, 2014, 4:07 pm

socksy wrote:

Can someone confirm as I've been confused again by different sources - including staff at the school

Is it 4th and 5th December holidays for the Kings Birthday or 5th and 8th. Trying to plan a trip away and need to book. Every forking time this sh*te happens and it pisses me right off. ](*,)
Hope you weren't planning a trip to BKK Socksy, according to Thaivisa the Army have just shut down all the "happy ending" massage shops around Sukhumvit :-"

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » November 28, 2014, 12:23 pm

I don't think it would be appropriate for me to go into one of them with my six year old Statto. She may return home and tell the estranged that I was using the 'how's your father' as a tooth pick.
Alba gu bràth

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”