Passport and Visa

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Passport and Visa

Post by Ray.Charles » January 15, 2015, 9:09 am

I was at the friendship bridge crossing to Vientiane about a week ago. I submitted my passport (U.S.), the required form, and 1,500 Baht visa fee to Laos’s immigration. They said that my passport had no space left for their stamp. I knew that the passport was running low on spare pages, but thought that the last two pages were available for new stamps. But, they pointed out that they cannot use those pages as these two did not have ‘visa’ printed on top. Then, for an additional 1,500 baht they created a 4 page booklet for their stamps, and let me in.
My passport expires in August 2019. My visa for Thailand is in O-A (long stay) category; it was issued at the New York consulate in September 2009. The next renewal date is in August 2015; plus, I have a multiple entry stamp over that period. The renewal and the multiple entry stamps take up nearly a page each.
From the embassy website:
- In general, you are only allowed to add a maximum of three supplement visa page inserts, before you will be required to apply for a new passport. Fee $85
- Adult Passport renewal fee: $110
I have two international trips planned within the few months. For those two trips and the next visa extension, three-page insert in the passport would do the job. On the other hand, for future convenience (and the fees), getting a new passport option looks better.
Next U.S. consular visit to this area is to Khon Kaen on the 23rd January and to Udon on 17th April.
Can the extra pages for visa be added to the passport during a consular visit?
Is getting a new passport, but keeping the visa on the old passport for travelling in and out of Thailand an option?
Comment/advice, please.

mak
udonmap.com

Passport and Visa

Post by mak » January 15, 2015, 9:24 am

Extra pages $82. Outreach will take passport to Bangkok and mail back.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Passport and Visa

Post by papaguido » January 15, 2015, 1:55 pm

Ray.Charles wrote:I was at the friendship bridge crossing to Vientiane about a week ago. I submitted my passport (U.S.), the required form, and 1,500 Baht visa fee to Laos’s immigration. They said that my passport had no space left for their stamp. I knew that the passport was running low on spare pages, but thought that the last two pages were available for new stamps. But, they pointed out that they cannot use those pages as these two did not have ‘visa’ printed on top. Then, for an additional 1,500 baht they created a 4 page booklet for their stamps, and let me in.
My passport expires in August 2019. My visa for Thailand is in O-A (long stay) category; it was issued at the New York consulate in September 2009. The next renewal date is in August 2015; plus, I have a multiple entry stamp over that period. The renewal and the multiple entry stamps take up nearly a page each.
From the embassy website:
- In general, you are only allowed to add a maximum of three supplement visa page inserts, before you will be required to apply for a new passport. Fee $85
- Adult Passport renewal fee: $110
I have two international trips planned within the few months. For those two trips and the next visa extension, three-page insert in the passport would do the job. On the other hand, for future convenience (and the fees), getting a new passport option looks better.
Next U.S. consular visit to this area is to Khon Kaen on the 23rd January and to Udon on 17th April.
Can the extra pages for visa be added to the passport during a consular visit?
Is getting a new passport, but keeping the visa on the old passport for travelling in and out of Thailand an option?
Comment/advice, please.
Ray,

When you receive a new passport the consulate will provide a letter addressed to immigration stating that you were issued a new passport and it's requested that your visa/ext be transferred from old to new (or something like that). If you have time before your trip go to immigration and have your visa/ext transferred to the new passport. Otherwise, you may show both passports (new & old) upon departure and arrival.

Additional information will cost you :guiness:

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Passport and Visa

Post by Ray.Charles » January 23, 2015, 9:32 pm

I went today to the U.S.Consular outreach at Khon Kaen to get extra pages inserted into my passport. It pays to go early. I didn't; I went at 8-30, and got done at 10-00. Earlier attendees were done in less than 60 minutes.
In Khon Kaen, on my medical trips, I always stay at the U-Inn, across the highway from the Srinakarin hospital. From that hotel, I can go over a pedestrian bridge to be at the hospital in 5-10 minutes. The consular meeting was at the Pullman hotel; that hotel charges 3,100 baht for a night; U-Inn charges about 800 baht including a decent breakfast for 2.
Although this was not a trip to the hospital, I stayed at the U-Inn , about a 10-minute drive to the Pullman hotel. You can also drive to that area of Khon Kaen in little less than 2 hours from central Udon.
Let me thank Papaguido and Mak who responded to my post and also others who advised me privately.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”