Thai Driving Licence

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
rickfarang
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by rickfarang » September 17, 2013, 11:50 am

If its of any help, I asked my wife, who is Thai and she said that she never heard of such a thing. (Neither have I.)

trubrit
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by trubrit » September 17, 2013, 11:54 am

rickfarang wrote:If its of any help, I asked my wife, who is Thai and she said that she never heard of such a thing. (Neither have I.)
Must agree that's the conclusion I have come to .Maybe it's unheard of for any driver to survive that long on Thai roads. :-" Will find out next year if I manage to . :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

pompui
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by pompui » September 18, 2013, 6:10 am

Even Budget website implies there are no maximumage limits so happy and safe driving TB \:D/

http://www.budget.co.th/TipsDriveThai.aspx

Never seen any back window sticker here advising other road users of 'OAP on board',have only seen 'Baby on board' 8)

trubrit
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by trubrit » September 18, 2013, 6:21 am

pompui wrote:Even Budget website implies there are no maximumage limits so happy and safe driving TB \:D/

http://www.budget.co.th/TipsDriveThai.aspx

Never seen any back window sticker here advising other road users of 'OAP on board',have only seen 'Baby on board' 8)
From some of the new Dad's I have seen around maybe a sticker combining both might be in order :-" :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

pompui
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by pompui » January 22, 2014, 4:03 pm

Just to confirm if not wanting to go to nongsung to renew your D/l,they offer at AEK 1 to 5 year and 5 year to 5 year. The 5 year renewal for another 5 years can be done one copy passport photo and one copy visa page plus one copy of yellow book.No photos required,total cost 655 baht,you do the traffic light colour test then the 1 hour video.Times everyday are at 10am and 1pm.
Happy driving :D

howard
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by howard » January 22, 2014, 7:37 pm

How strange it is that the rules regarding renewal of driving licences seems to change from month to month or even hour by hour. Before returning to the UK i went to AEK to renew my 5 year licence. I took my yellow book and copy of passport.
No can do they said telling me to go to Nongsoon. I did the next day with same documents and was given renewal of both car and M/C. No Eyesight test, No reflex test and no need to watch the movie. Told me to return in 1 hour to collect licences.
Can't remember the fees.
T.I.T :D

pompui
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by pompui » January 23, 2014, 3:59 pm

Before they only had a small office in AEK but now have moved in the same lower ground floor area to a larger office with extra rooms to cater for eyesight test,video room and the man with the digital camera has an area also,all jolly good show :D
Even the local pizza place, if getting there lunchtime, now has numerous tourist volunteers hanging around,must be the owners association with them :-"
The video starts 10.30 and 1.30 each day but get there just before to supply all your documents 8)

broon97
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by broon97 » March 22, 2015, 6:21 pm

I will be applying for DL, based on UK & IDP licence, in the next few weeks in Udonthani.
I would be grateful for a current update on the procedure

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by ting_tong » March 22, 2015, 6:53 pm

Barney
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by Barney » April 22, 2015, 4:14 pm

broon97 wrote:I will be applying for DL, based on UK & IDP licence, in the next few weeks in Udonthani.
I would be grateful for a current update on the procedure
Since I don't have a real visa like some good folk and for the last 3 years only get the stamp on arrival for 30 days each time I come back from work, I was able to get my drivers license renewed easy enough but I cannot get the 5 year as I am not registered any where under a visa. The nice lady with the glasses provided me with 2 letters for the license mob ( one for the vehicle and one for the bike ) at a cost of 500 each. The letters she gave have a tick box on the bottom for each type of license. You provide a photo for each letter to immigration. I had my girl with me to translate and show her blue book showing where I stay.
Off to the doctor for the check, it was so fast I did not even see or feel the doctor do the check. He's good this bloke! Think his name is Peter Brady if you remember that one, got the medical form to advise I am super fit and mentally stable, cost 50 bht. Of to the AEK license place, get my 2 new licenses for 12 months with a new handsome man photo, as I said I can only get 1 year and not 5 until I am on a visa and the buffalo yoke is in place.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by FrazeeDK » April 22, 2015, 8:03 pm

"two letters from the nice lady with glasses for 500 baht apiece." No doubt address verification letters which under the Immigration Bureau guidelines supposed to be FREE!!.. Oh, she's ever so nice, building that college fund for her kids no doubt.
Dave

Barney
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by Barney » April 22, 2015, 8:31 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:"two letters from the nice lady with glasses for 500 baht apiece." No doubt address verification letters which under the Immigration Bureau guidelines supposed to be FREE!!.. Oh, she's ever so nice, building that college fund for her kids no doubt.

Not sure what sort of letter it was FrazeeDK?
Does the address verification letter usually have the vehicle or Motorbike tick box at the bottom? If so then I was ripped for the 1,000 bht. Both licenses were 180 bht each.

Anyway visiting immigration once a year and only ever having a visa on arrival and no real authority to be a resident I wasn't going to argue. Just wanted to get in and out on a stinking 40C plus day.
At least I'm legal on the road and covered for insurance.
I was actually amazed that I only had to sit in the doctor's reception area for 5 minutes and wait to receive the OK to be fit to drive medical report? I thought he would at least front up, show his head and say you look good. Carry on regardless.

broon97
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by broon97 » April 22, 2015, 9:05 pm

Process was totally painless, had Yellow Book & UK license.
They said one year but they issued license for 2 years.
Excellent service

timmy
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by timmy » April 22, 2015, 9:22 pm

broon97 wrote:Process was totally painless, had Yellow Book & UK license.
Excellent service
no sutch thing as 2 year thai driving licence .... unless you can prove my thinkings wrong ..

broon97
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by broon97 » April 23, 2015, 7:55 am

License issue date 10 April 2015, expiry date 10 April 2017. In my book that's 2 years.
timmy wrote:
broon97 wrote:Process was totally painless, had Yellow Book & UK license.
Excellent service
no sutch thing as 2 year thai driving licence .... unless you can prove my thinkings wrong ..

License issue date 10 April 2015, expiry date 10 April 2017. In my book that's 2 years.

mohock
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by mohock » April 24, 2015, 12:58 am

as of march this years, the temporary license has been 2 years now, after which it can be renewed into the permanent one for 5 years.

Return to “Travel & Transport”