Immigration News....or Not

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 10, 2016, 6:37 pm

Seems to be a change in policy concerning transfer of extensions to new passports.....as of Aug 2013 (still, news to me). In the past, if you received your extension in Sept (let's say) with a passport due to expire in March (let's say), the immigration official would stamp your extension until March. Once you renewed your passport and returned to immigration, the official would redate your extension to Sept (no charge, although it became quite common for immigration to 'charge' 500 Baht).
Now, under the same circumstances, when you return with your new passport, you have to pay 1900 Baht and the official will stamp with a new extension. Receipt is included.

While at immigration getting reentry visas, I inquired about getting an embassy letter (US) in Feb for my renewal in Sept. The official counted off on her fingers.....got to '7' and said, 'no can do'. Embassy letter is good for 6 months. At Udon.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » February 10, 2016, 8:43 pm

indeed , now they will only extend until the expiration date of your passport , if you extend for example every year at 20 feb but this year your passport is only valid until okt , they will give you an extension until okt and then you will have to re-apply for a new 1year extension with the new passport (and other needed documents for a 1 year extension)...
has been all ready so for +2 years .. ;)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 12, 2016, 5:52 am

That has as stated been in effect for some considerable time. It shows that the Passport owner / applicant should in fact maintain a current and up to date passport with the time left to cover a years visa. Let us face it, you cannot go on a two week holiday unless you have at least 6 months left on your passport so for simply forgetting to renew your passport , you are now subject to a financial penalty for being lazy.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » February 13, 2016, 8:22 am

I think the answer to this is ,the renewal date for your passport can be done far in advance to the expiry date , UK i think is 9 months ,i did this in 2012 , you then take both passports to renew Extension ( your new passport is dated date of application for passport , ) IMO put the new extension into your new passport, no further charges , ( ha , but there are exceptions to the rules )

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 13, 2016, 4:23 pm

About all I can add here is I fronted up on Xmas day (2015) to do my annual retirement extension with a new passport.

Transferring my existing visas were charged at 500 Baht -- WITHOUT RECEIPT -- As near as I can figure we cannot beat the corruption = they have us by the balls!!!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » February 13, 2016, 5:01 pm

Why don't applicants, just calmly say, - "Oh, I understood it was free". And if still requested, ask for a receipt signed by an appropriate official. If bold, one could ask to be shown the relevant regulation.

It certainly was free both times my wife and I have had new passports and the visa stamps transferred from old to new passports (done in Nong Khai). One of those being within the last 2 years. (I am talking of the transferring of the Non Immigrant O visas and re-entry permits from old passport to new one).

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » February 13, 2016, 5:55 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:About all I can add here is I fronted up on Xmas day (2015) to do my annual retirement extension with a new passport.

Transferring my existing visas were charged at 500 Baht -- WITHOUT RECEIPT -- As near as I can figure we cannot beat the corruption = they have us by the balls!!!
Just say NO........ I was asked for 1000 ..Do I get a recept ??? then .. NO ...... 500 ..... NO ..... 100 ..... NO ...... I paid nothing for the free service, that took over an hour to do, and was done incorrectly.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”