KILLING GRASS...WHAT?

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
Mudguard
udonmap.com

KILLING GRASS...WHAT?

Post by Mudguard » May 1, 2016, 3:57 pm

I have a lot of ticks coming from our grass onto our dogs....I want to kill the grass n ticks..

Can anyone recommend a grass killer that is effective please....

macca46
udonmap.com

KILLING GRASS...WHAT?

Post by macca46 » May 1, 2016, 4:08 pm

Round up will kill your grass but i don't think it will kill the ticks though.

You can get an injection for tick called ivormecton (don't know if spelled right) from most pet shops last about 2 months, the other alternative is 1 clove of crushed garlic a day with there food.

fatbob
udonmap.com

KILLING GRASS...WHAT?

Post by fatbob » May 1, 2016, 4:33 pm

Ticks here are not paralysis ticks as in Aus, they are no problem, either pull them off or they will fall off when full, if pulling them off grab them with tweezers and make them do a backflip, that way the head will not break off.

redwolf
udonmap.com

KILLING GRASS...WHAT?

Post by redwolf » May 1, 2016, 5:25 pm

Remove all wood piles, rotting wood, leaves.

Tarp the grass off with black plastic. Lay out higher quality gravel on top of the plastic, use the white smooth rocks available at some of the ring road landscaping suppliers. Area birds will pick off any insect dumb enough to be in the tarped area.

Install a bird bath, -swap the water out every day so mosquitoes don't use it for breeding. Put it someplace in open terrain so cats and snakes can't easily ambush the visiting (tick-eating) birds.

Chickens would eat the ticks too, and probably wipe out the grass, but the place would look like a dump.
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

Mudguard
udonmap.com

KILLING GRASS...WHAT?

Post by Mudguard » May 1, 2016, 5:57 pm

Thank everyone...I did not know they were non paralysis ticks like we have in Oz....
Yes, I've had chickens in the yard n crap everywhere....Cheers...

Airportwo
udonmap.com

KILLING GRASS...WHAT?

Post by Airportwo » May 2, 2016, 1:13 pm

Don't use roundup if you have chickens or dogs or humans using the same area its been proven beyond any reasonable doubt it is carcinogenic!

rjj04
udonmap.com

KILLING GRASS...WHAT?

Post by rjj04 » May 2, 2016, 1:54 pm

coxo wrote:Ticks here are not paralysis ticks as in Aus, they are no problem, either pull them off or they will fall off when full, if pulling them off grab them with tweezers and make them do a backflip, that way the head will not break off.
Hmmm. We have a Labrador that was bitten by a tick as a puppy. One morning we woke up to the puppy limping a bit like it had hurt it's leg playing, by the next morning the poor thing was lying flat on it's stomach unable to move. We took it to the vet and they analyzed the blood and found a certain parasite, which they told us came from a tick bite. After a few weeks of treatment the puppy recovered but it was a very sad few weeks... the little guy was so close to a very short lifespan. So... I assume "paralysis ticks" are a certain type of tick... whatever type of tick bit this dog it nearly killed the the little guy.

fatbob
udonmap.com

KILLING GRASS...WHAT?

Post by fatbob » May 2, 2016, 3:51 pm

There not paralysis ticks here, one way to check is the third leg back will be white or clear.

fdimike
udonmap.com

KILLING GRASS...WHAT?

Post by fdimike » May 2, 2016, 4:26 pm

Ticks are very dangerous here. They carry a parasite which causes Tick Borne Disease which can kill a dog. RJ I suspect this is just what your dog had. The easiest way to control ticks is to use a once a month chewable tablet called V-Max which is readily available over the counter from the veterinarian supply on Jamnusorn rd. This product will prevent the tick from laying fertile eggs on your pet, but It will not kill the adult. Adult ticks can be easily eliminated with any quality dusting powder for dogs. It is not a very good idea to try to just pull ticks off your pet because the ticks head may break off in your animals skin causing an infection. It will also control mange which is caused by mites. You can control the tick population in your yard by using this product on a regular basis because new ticks will not hatch from the infertile eggs.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

fatbob
udonmap.com

KILLING GRASS...WHAT?

Post by fatbob » May 2, 2016, 4:48 pm

I think you will find the chemical a lot more harmful than the tick but I guess that's the way now for those raised in city's, if you pull a tick off in the correct way it's head will stay attached, a simple back flip.

fdimike
udonmap.com

KILLING GRASS...WHAT?

Post by fdimike » May 2, 2016, 6:50 pm

So if you happen to miss one or two or three and they lay their eggs inside the door there's no problem from your point of view. I guess you've never heard of tick borne disease. Maybe you should read about the dangers of this disease.

fatbob
udonmap.com

KILLING GRASS...WHAT?

Post by fatbob » May 2, 2016, 7:15 pm

The chemical will kill you before the tick.

fdimike
udonmap.com

KILLING GRASS...WHAT?

Post by fdimike » May 2, 2016, 8:18 pm

Not sure how it would kill me since I'm feeding it to our dogs. As I said earlier it's not designed to kill ticks. It's designed to break their life cycle by altering their eggs to make them infertile.

papafarang
udonmap.com

KILLING GRASS...WHAT?

Post by papafarang » May 2, 2016, 9:29 pm

powder is the simplest way and cheap, also kills lots of other nasty's , wife puts it all over, it's safe just wash your hands after. but if you really want to go to war, theres a pesticide called abermectin, I got some from Do home , just a few drops in a watering can and water everywhere, lawns , everything , but keep the dog out the way, becomes safe when dry, it don't kill but it stops bugs from being able to swallow so they stave to death quickly, unfortunately it has the same effect on every insect and works by contact, I have a spray bottle and when the insects start getting out of control I spray my whole garden, leave it 3 days and spray again, it's very bad for fish though so avoid any water surfaces. if your not used to handling these type of products stick to the flea powder method.
coxo is on about organophosphates , now they are nasty and you don't want any contact with them, the drops you can buy that you put on the back of the neck contain them and is absorbed into the animal, dogs have short life spans so long term effects never develop, but humans have long life spans so you don't want them on your skin as they will cause Alzheimer's/ dementia so always wear gloves and scrub your hands after
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

noosard
udonmap.com

KILLING GRASS...WHAT?

Post by noosard » May 3, 2016, 9:38 am

Pulling ticks off the dog could become a full time job
As at times they can be thicker than fleas
And the little ones are like sand at the beach

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”