Are Thai dogs put above Thai humans?

General Udon Thani topics only!
Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » May 19, 2016, 7:37 am

I see where someone was in court for killing a dog after it had bitten his son several times!
Of course the dog belonged to a neighbor who did not give a damn where it wandered..Like wise, Thais do not care about anything.

Am I missing something here?
How come one cannot protect his son or another human by killing an animal who is dangerous? Is one to let the animal injure or kill because you will go to court if you harm it? Good Lord, I would have no hesitation in protecting anyone against a mangy street dog.

When I saw the law come in I thought it was the most ridiculous thing to do... A farmer lost 22 pigs to one dog because they were too scared to kill it because of this ridiculous law, making dogs the dominate species over humans in Thailand....

There are far to many dogs running around . In time to come someone will get killed, if not already.
Come to Australia and one can walk freely anywhere on our streets because dogs are not aloud without a lead...
Here, one has to carry a bloody stick for protection in certain areas. I do when I walk my two dogs on leads.. [-o<

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » May 19, 2016, 1:00 pm

Last edited by Lone Star on March 6, 2019, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » May 19, 2016, 3:07 pm

We have dogs here near Tha Bo which attack every single bicyclist and scooter that goes past, the owners stand and laugh. Very peculiar behaviour.

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » May 20, 2016, 4:18 am

I went for a run recently and at one point noticed what one could comfortably describe as a small herd of dogs prowling just behind me. This wasn't much of a suprise as it could happen on every road in Thailand but the suprising thing was a native man had slowed his motorbike down and was shooing the dogs away from me. I didn't recognise him but he may have known me or my Thai family but regardless it was a selfless act all the same.

I've often been chased by dogs but never attacked but if one did bite me I'd happily let it know it's place. I'd recommend taking a big ass dog with you if ever run around any villages.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » May 27, 2016, 1:06 am

UFF DA!

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » May 27, 2016, 2:49 am

I believe it's the buddist trait , my dog was going through organ failure and was really suffering ,i asked the Vet about putting her down , the reaction i got was amazing , an unpolite and definate NO , so i had to watch her suffer for almost a week before she died ,

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 27, 2016, 7:15 am

The dog that attacked my son ended up in someone's pot
The dogs owner was very upset it had bitten someone

Now I have not heard of Thais ending up in a pot for attacking

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 27, 2016, 12:06 pm

Mudguard wrote:I see where someone was in court for killing a dog after it had bitten his son several times!
Of course the dog belonged to a neighbor who did not give a damn where it wandered..Like wise, Thais do not care about anything.

Am I missing something here?
How come one cannot protect his son or another human by killing an animal who is dangerous? Is one to let the animal injure or kill because you will go to court if you harm it? Good Lord, I would have no hesitation in protecting anyone against a mangy street dog.

When I saw the law come in I thought it was the most ridiculous thing to do... A farmer lost 22 pigs to one dog because they were too scared to kill it because of this ridiculous law, making dogs the dominate species over humans in Thailand....

There are far to many dogs running around . In time to come someone will get killed, if not already.
Come to Australia and one can walk freely anywhere on our streets because dogs are not aloud without a lead...
Here, one has to carry a bloody stick for protection in certain areas. I do when I walk my two dogs on leads.. [-o<
Well that is a new one to me want to provide a copy of that law?

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 27, 2016, 12:24 pm

Hoopoe wrote: believe it's the buddist trait , my dog was going through organ failure and was really suffering ,i asked the Vet about putting her down , the reaction i got was amazing , an unpolite and definate NO , so i had to watch her suffer for almost a week before she died ,
My wife tells me that Buddist's never commit suicide or try to end their life prematurely, as their life here is seen as necessary suffering for the soul and must be fully lived out, no matter how bad the circumstances.
Obviously some/all believe the same for animals.

Does anyone know of Thai's that have committed suicide???
Interesting stuff!
Mick

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » May 27, 2016, 12:34 pm

Last edited by Lone Star on March 6, 2019, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » May 27, 2016, 12:58 pm

From The Nation September 2015:

A THAI commits suicide every two hours, with the youngest recorded victim 10 years old and the oldest 93.

The Public Health Ministry revealed the alarming statistic yesterday to mark World Suicide Prevention Day, and recommended a guideline on how to cut down on the numbers.

For instance, don't ignore or call someone stupid if they say they want to kill themselves.

"We have to reach out and save lives," Public Health Minister Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn said.

Across the world, more than 800,000 people commit suicide each year - a number expected to reach 1.5 million by 2020.

"In Thailand, about 3,900 people end their life each year. The suicide rate is the highest in the North," Piyasakol revealed.

He said Thailand was trying to keep the suicide rate at no more than 6.5 per 100,000 people. The 2014 figure was 6.08 per 100,000 with a peak of 8.2 in 2001.

Piyasakol has instructed the Mental Health Department to spearhead efforts to prevent suicides and pay special attention to depressed and impulsive people.

Department director-general Jedsada Chokdamrongsuk said the common causes of suicides were family conflicts, chronic health problems, jealousy and heartbreak.

"About 3 per cent of men who took their own life also harmed others. In women, it is 2 per cent," he said.

Piyasakol expressed concern about the relationship between the rising popularity of social media and the suicide rate, as foreign research revealed the greater access there was to the online world the higher the number of suicides.

There are about 16 million social media users in Thailand, he added.

Jedsada said nearly half of suicide victims signal their intent to kill themselves before doing so. "Such a signal may come in the form of posts on social media too," he said.

Posts like "we may never see each other again" and "this is the last post" could be an indication someone intends to commit suicide, he said.

"These days we have found that people who commit suicide tend to post farewell messages on Facebook, describing how they were suffering and showing picture of guns or any tool used for suicides," he said

Jedsada added if people detected such signals, they should never take them for granted.

"Here's the guideline about what we should do if we detect a signal. When coming across a signal, do not challenge [the person], taunt or make indifferent comments. Also don't share or post pictures of people who have committed suicide or their relatives," he said.

He said upon detecting a suicide signal, people should try to discourage the person from taking their life, talk to the person more and ask people close to them to help or call the Mental Health Department's 1323 hotline.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 68542.html

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 27, 2016, 1:40 pm

Shado,
Thanks for that article.
Very interesting.
I presume if most suicides are in the North, then they are probably mostly Bhuddist?
I'm confused now!!!
mick

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » May 27, 2016, 3:13 pm

According to buddhanet.net, Thailand's population is about 95% Buddhist.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/his ... tatt10.htm

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » May 27, 2016, 8:18 pm

bumper wrote:
Well that is a new one to me want to provide a copy of that law?
Thailand passed a animal cruelty law in 2014. I've seen a couple of news stories where someone was brought to court over it.
Thailand Government Passes First Animal Abuse Law
posted November 18, 2014
The Thai government passed an animal welfare bill on Wednesday, November 12, making it the country’s first law to prosecute anyone found guilty of animal cruelty, reports the Bangkok Post.

According to the Bangkok Post, the new legislation protects domestic pets, as well as animals kept for food and working animals from animal cruelty and places the responsibility for an animal’s welfare on its owners. Anyone found guilty of breaking the law could face up to two years in prison and/or a 40,000 baht fine, reports the Bangkok Post.
http://www.thailawforum.com/thailand-go ... abuse-law/
UFF DA!

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » May 27, 2016, 8:48 pm

From an opinion piece in the Nation:
Since the legislation was enacted in December 2014 there have been at least 10 instances when animals were brutally killed. Three of them were prominent in the headlines because they involved the shooting of stray dogs, the shooters in each case claiming to have acted in self-defence when the animals behaved "aggressively" towards them or loved ones. One of the shooters was an elderly politician, and in the latest case, it was a senior police officer.

In the first of the high-profile cases, the Criminal Court last month sentenced a Bangkok motorist to 14 months in jail, suspended, and fined him Bt7,500 for shooting dead a stray dog in January 2015, just a month after the law was promulgated. He was also ordered to do 12 hours of community service. Legal deliberations continue in the two other cases, against the 78-year-old politician and the high-ranking policeman.

At least six other cases of animal cruelty have been brought to court. A dog was thrown from a tall building, another skinned and eaten. A kitten was stoned to death. Four pet dogs were killed with poison. Just two defendants have gone to jail, on sentences of two to three months.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion ... 83921.html
Another case of cruelty-
Man who cut off dog paws charged by Thai police
SAMUT PRAKAN:-- In the latest of a series of cases of animal cruelty a Thai crane operator was reported to Samut Prakan police for attacking a dog severing its front paws.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/915 ... ai-police/
UFF DA!

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » May 27, 2016, 10:09 pm

The TW's ex-brother in law liked to play around and got aids. He gave his wife aids and drank weed killer in shame.

The TW advises that many farmers who have borrowed heavily and planted the wrong crop and loose the family fortune drink weed killer.

Others prefer to feed the elderly farang husband weed killer. Perhaps because the farang was not Buddhist.

On the other hand the TW's mother died a long and painful death from an incurable and terminal illness because it was considered inappropriate to lessen pain and hasten death with morphine. She lasted over 1 week without food and water. Horrifying to watch.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”