Brexit and implications to UM members perhaps ?

General Udon Thani topics only!
rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 26, 2016, 10:17 pm

Well, politics aside i currently am 4,000 baht a month worse off from my pensions. What other affects i will endure only time will tell.

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » June 27, 2016, 12:31 am

Bob Geldof has announced he is handing back his knighthood as he is ashamed to be British after we voted to leave the EU.
Hand it back Geldof if you love Europe so much sod off there, your arrogance and your show on the Thames towards the fishermen showed us what your all about.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » June 27, 2016, 5:17 am

That w*#ker never has been and never could have been British. He was born in the Republic of Ireland. He received an honorary knighthood from HM the Queen. A political activist alog with another bell end from the RoI - Bono.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » June 27, 2016, 5:31 am

well said mr socksy.

MrFixer
udonmap.com

Post by MrFixer » June 27, 2016, 8:13 am

Well, it seems that PM-in-waiting is back-pedalling on what Brexit will mean...

Johnson vows EU cooperation after referendum result - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36637037

"The only change - and it will not come in any great rush - is that the UK will extricate itself from the EU's extraordinary and opaque system of legislation: the vast and growing corpus of law enacted by a European Court of Justice from which there can be no appeal."

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 27, 2016, 6:19 pm

rick wrote:Well, politics aside i currently am 4,000 baht a month worse off from my pensions. What other affects i will endure only time will tell.

Try looking over 5 years
The AUD has from high of 33 now about 26
The GBP has over the 5 years gone from 48 down to 43 up to 56 back down to 46

Looking over the 10 years graphs hurts a bit more for the GDP
From the good old days of 70+

Where the AUD has risen from 28 up to 32 and down to 23s

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 28, 2016, 3:52 pm

Yes, the pound has been lower. But this is a self inflicted wound. Pound dropped 3% again yesterday, but has at last stabilised. But looking to the future, so far no good news. Leave campaigners didn't have a plan for if they won, and are backtracking on their promises. The Uk is in disarray and shown to be weak and disorganised, respect and power reduced. And Europe says no access to the single market unless you obey ALL the rules.

Both the major parties are in turmoil with leadership elections needed. And actually we cannot start the leaving process until we invoke article 50, and that would require parliament to vote - and i cannot see it succeeding. It is also hard to see how any trade deals can be done over the next 2 years,when the legal position is unknown, which would mean a stagnating economy at best.

And of course, it wasn't about racism ...... which is why racial abuse has risen by 57% since last week, as migrants (or British people who look like them) are told to go home ......

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 28, 2016, 4:13 pm

Long term gains may outweigh short term pain. The referendum debate seems to have been conducted at a childish level and the price is now being paid for that.

The Tories should have had plans in place for a leave win and Osborne and Cameron should not have talked the country down the short term economic toilet. Inaccurate polling hasn't helped. Ideally the markets would have calmly factored in a Brexit win. If so, the exchange rate movements may have been less volatile. It crossed my mind before the referendum that young people, big remain supporters, tend not to vote.

Let's hope if Drumpf is going to beat Crooked Hillary that the markets factor that in months before the vote.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”