hernia advice

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
Nigglyb
udonmap.com

hernia advice

Post by Nigglyb » June 16, 2016, 11:51 pm

DuiDui wrote:I'm now looking at Bankok Hospital in Udon
I had a major incisional hernia repair in the UK, full slice open & 25 x 30 mesh stitched in, just before Xmas. We flew to Thailand as soon as the surgeon gave me the all clear which was exactly 3 weeks after the op. I know the surgery was actually performed in the UK but I started getting complications two weeks after getting to Udon so toddled off to the Bangkok Hospital. Now I can't remember the surgeons name I saw but he was a young chap & really knew his stuff. I had loads of tests & ultra sounds & he prescribed medication seeing me every other day while I was on it to make sure I was okay. Everything cleared up great. I saw my surgeon for a follow up when I got back to the UK & relayed everything that had happened. I showed him all the medication packs & a letter the doc from Bangkok Hospital had given me. He said he was impressed & wouldn't have done anything different himself :D

May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

fatbob
udonmap.com

hernia advice

Post by fatbob » June 17, 2016, 7:23 am

Nigglyb wrote: by Nigglyb » June 16, 2016, 11:51 pm

DuiDui wrote:
I'm now looking at Bankok Hospital in Udon

I had a major incisional hernia repair in the UK, full slice open & 25 x 30 mesh stitched in, just before Xmas. We flew to Thailand as soon as the surgeon gave me the all clear which was exactly 3 weeks after the op. I know the surgery was actually performed in the UK but I started getting complications two weeks after getting to Udon so toddled off to the Bangkok Hospital. Now I can't remember the surgeons name I saw but he was a young chap & really knew his stuff. I had loads of tests & ultra sounds & he prescribed medication seeing me every other day while I was on it to make sure I was okay. Everything cleared up great. I saw my surgeon for a follow up when I got back to the UK & relayed everything that had happened. I showed him all the medication packs & a letter the doc from Bangkok Hospital had given me. He said he was impressed & wouldn't have done anything different himself
I would select a young doctor over old in Thailand every day.

d p meijer
udonmap.com

hernia advice

Post by d p meijer » July 26, 2016, 6:07 pm

i just got two weeks ago laparascopy hernia operation at AEK Udon. dr.Lertrat.

very satisfied with the treatment / operation.
1 night in hospital .
7 days later 1 check up. everything ok.
wound almost invisible .
had a little pain first day , but after 1 week no more pain at all.

price total i do not know , since most covered by Insurance .
but over 100.000,-- baht .

DuiDui
udonmap.com

hernia advice

Post by DuiDui » July 26, 2016, 7:00 pm

Holy cow..100.000...What do you mean that most of the surgery was covered by Insurance.Do you know if he have a clinic outside AEK?

A friend of mine had keyhole surgery done(kidneystone) for in total with VIP room 3 night 60.000..+ TIP to the nice people working at Goverment Hospital,10.000...Before that he went to get a quote at AEK,290.000. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Saved a nice 220.000..

d p meijer
udonmap.com

hernia advice

Post by d p meijer » July 26, 2016, 7:35 pm

holy cow ...... i agree.

my first choice was the military hospital . but they not do this operation laparascopic.

i do not remember why i did not ask Udon General . i assume somehow i heard they not do it .
but if i am wrong and they do, i think it is worth asking details / costs.

so i was left with AEK Udon and BKK Udon.
since my heart doctor is at AEK Udon the choice was to operate there.

DuiDui
udonmap.com

hernia advice

Post by DuiDui » July 26, 2016, 8:12 pm

dp.if you know if he have a private clinic somewere here in Udon,or his telefon number,or any other info so i can get a hold of him would be nice..Thanks in advance.

d p meijer
udonmap.com

hernia advice

Post by d p meijer » July 26, 2016, 9:25 pm

this is how i contact him

042 342555 aek udon

ask for dr Lertrat Wongrach

he is available Sunday - Thursday. Friday/Saturday free

or you can Phone international department aek udon mrs Panusa Songsujarit manager

and ask her to get you in to contact with dr Lertrat.

and then go and see him at the hospital .

good luck
if i can be of any more assistance please let me know

regards

dp meijer

DuiDui
udonmap.com

hernia advice

Post by DuiDui » July 26, 2016, 9:50 pm

DP,BIG thank you for the info you provided.That will help me..hopefully.And i just might take you up on your offer of moore assistans.

Thank you very much DP.

udonsmiles
udonmap.com

hernia advice

Post by udonsmiles » July 27, 2016, 10:05 pm

I had mine done at the Military Hospital in December last year. The grumpy Doctor you met has very poor English skills but I have absolutely no complaints with the work he did. I was in for 3 nights and as Mrs Udonsmiles so charmingly described my operation "Doctor cut you".

Comfortable good sized room with very nice nurses and reasonable food. I had the epidural and am now the proud owner of a neat scar about 3 inches long. There are 2 ways to recovery - the old thinking was to do very little for at least 6 weeks. I chose to get mobile as soon as possible and was back at work a month later. Up to you.

8 months later I don't think about it anymore. Occasonally I will get a twinge or reminder that I do have a length of gauze inside of me! Not going to give you any bs and say it was all easy and totally pain free because it wasn't but these conditions don't get better, I was struggling to walk and was very uncomfortable in the week before I had it sorted.

The total bill came to 22k inclusive of everything. I would given the chance, had gladly paid for some aftercare, follow up appointments or even an interpreter.........................................

DuiDui
udonmap.com

hernia advice

Post by DuiDui » July 28, 2016, 8:52 am

US,thanks for the update regarding were and mybe when to go and have this surgery done.

I've sort of already cut,no joke intended,this Grumpy Doc,but price is a factor too,not only how they operate.I had my wife contact DP's Doctor at AEK,sorry to herar he ONLY work at AEK.But my wife told me that he was very polite and said he had 3 other Doc's that he could/would recommend,here in Udon and 2 in Khon Khaen.
But for now i'm looking for a local Doc that can do this surgery here in Udon and at the General Hospital.

But please keep posting in this thread if you have good OR bad experiance regarding Groinhernia surgerys.

Thank you all for this information so far,have a good day all...A Hernia Free Day..hehe.

DuiDui
udonmap.com

hernia advice

Post by DuiDui » July 28, 2016, 9:01 am

UD,once again thanks for info provided.
Hope you don't mind me asking,did he put a mesh in or just stiched you up.Did you pay BEFORE the surgery or after?Did Mr.Grumpy ask you what kind of sedation you wanted or he just said Epidural.How long did you have your hernia for?Mine hardly make any fuss at all,no pain,can feel some pain in the morning but fades away after i get up.But it's ugly.Had it for 10+ years now..It needs to be take care of,THIS YEAR i promised myself and my wife..

udonsmiles wrote:I had mine done at the Military Hospital in December last year. The grumpy Doctor you met has very poor English skills but I have absolutely no complaints with the work he did. I was in for 3 nights and as Mrs Udonsmiles so charmingly described my operation "Doctor cut you".

Comfortable good sized room with very nice nurses and reasonable food. I had the epidural and am now the proud owner of a neat scar about 3 inches long. There are 2 ways to recovery - the old thinking was to do very little for at least 6 weeks. I chose to get mobile as soon as possible and was back at work a month later. Up to you.

8 months later I don't think about it anymore. Occasonally I will get a twinge or reminder that I do have a length of gauze inside of me! Not going to give you any bs and say it was all easy and totally pain free because it wasn't but these conditions don't get better, I was struggling to walk and was very uncomfortable in the week before I had it sorted.

The total bill came to 22k inclusive of everything. I would given the chance, had gladly paid for some aftercare, follow up appointments or even an interpreter.........................................

udonsmiles
udonmap.com

hernia advice

Post by udonsmiles » July 30, 2016, 8:08 am

My condition came on in just 2 months from nowhere. No idea how it happened but as I said in my previous post the last 2 weeks before "Doctor cut you" were very uncomfortable and sometimes incredibly painful.

Yes I was told about the Epi-d (through my wife) but they gave me gas as well because I wouldn't stop talking when I was on the operating table. Had or rather have mesh then 5 or 6 stitches. Can barely see the scar now.

I paid after the op. The hospital was a bit vague with regards to prices when we asked before I was cut. As I remember the surgeon's fee was around 12k and I think about 1500 baht per night for the room plus drugs, food etc etc.

Had a brief 2 minute check up a month later which was also included in the price. Should also say I got a full check-up before the op to see if I was fit enough to have it, again that was included as were 6 months supply of blood pressure pills.

If you can get over the annoyingly poor communication from Dr Grumpy then IMHO its all good.

DuiDui
udonmap.com

hernia advice

Post by DuiDui » July 30, 2016, 1:12 pm

Thanks again brother Hernia for info provided ;-)

Well we see who,when and were i'll do my surgery.My wife chatted with D P's Doc at AEK and like i think i wrote earlyer,we have 2-3 moore to contact.It might be Dr.Grumpy,it might not..The price is right in my eyes..when i look in my wallet that is ;-)But price is not everything.. :lol: :lol: Laughed when i read that you stop talking...I guess they didn't understand sh'' of what you were taking about..Or Grumpy was just fedup listening to you..hehe.

Have a great Sunday all you out there reading this thread..

udonsmiles wrote:My condition came on in just 2 months from nowhere. No idea how it happened but as I said in my previous post the last 2 weeks before "Doctor cut you" were very uncomfortable and sometimes incredibly painful.

Yes I was told about the Epi-d (through my wife) but they gave me gas as well because I wouldn't stop talking when I was on the operating table. Had or rather have mesh then 5 or 6 stitches. Can barely see the scar now.

I paid after the op. The hospital was a bit vague with regards to prices when we asked before I was cut. As I remember the surgeon's fee was around 12k and I think about 1500 baht per night for the room plus drugs, food etc etc.

Had a brief 2 minute check up a month later which was also included in the price. Should also say I got a full check-up before the op to see if I was fit enough to have it, again that was included as were 6 months supply of blood pressure pills.

If you can get over the annoyingly poor communication from Dr Grumpy then IMHO its all good.

d p meijer
udonmap.com

hernia advice

Post by d p meijer » July 30, 2016, 2:37 pm

i only met dr Grumpy once and yes .... he can be a thai colonel surgeon with many years experience . and not used to
talk too much . i had not much problem with his attitude.
he did not tell me he did 1000 or more operations . did not need to . i had the feeling he was a good doctor .
and that was where i came for .

the price was right , and the reason that after all i did not go to military hospitall was :

i remembered the pain i had after the first classical operation years ago and the suggestion that with the
laparascopic operation pain would be considerable less and shorter.

i have a leaking heart valve for which i am treated by the cardiologist at AEK Udon. and i should like her to be
with me when needed

i got late information that in my family there has been someone getting a shorttime heartfailure caused by
epidural treatment. and this treatment would be used at the military hospital

and after consulting my daughter in Holland she convinced me to go operate there where my heartdoctor
is available and i would feel most comfortable.

and since under my Insurance policy i had an own risk of 80.000,-- baht , the rest would be paid by the Insurance .

and so i had the operation done at Aek Udon.
and am happy with the result . the relaxed feeling i had before the operation with my heart doctor standing by,
and only a few days pain afterwards.

if i were 100 percent healthy and money requires so to do , i would go to dr.Grumpy without any problem .
because , like said , for me to feel being with a good doctor would most important .

and UD is the living proof the doctor is ok.

wish you all the best with your further research . if can be of any help .

best regards
dp

DuiDui
udonmap.com

hernia advice

Post by DuiDui » July 30, 2016, 3:02 pm

D P,thanks again brother hernia,OR no-moore-hernia..hehe.
I really appreciate ALL the info brought forward here in this thread,thank you all.

Well for me i guess i had my share of surgerys,knee,lowerback and kidney stones,so i thought that with all that surgery experiance i would be less "fuzzy"to do this hernia surgery,but i'm not.It's getting worse,and i'm talking,trying to talk,with a Doctor that tinks he is ALL that,well needless to say i like moore a Doc.that i can have a chat with BEFORE i undergo any surgery at all.But i guess you/i can't get everything in life right,so i will contiune to look and checkout other Doc's her in Udon and maybe in Khon Khaen.

I have not what i'm aware of,any underlying medicat issues so it should be a straightforward operation,me think.I'm fullu fit for beeing 58,non drinker/smoker and not overweight.So that alone would cover some if not all the bases.

But keep info comming,any info regarding Khon Khaen and groin surgery..??

An appel a day keeps the hern...sorry..Doc away..I eat alot of appels but maybe not the right onces.. ;) Have a good day.

PS.I got health insurance BUT this hernia was pre excisting one.DS

Return to “Health & Beauty”