Eating Pizza with a Fork

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Eating Pizza with a Fork

Post by parrot » September 15, 2016, 12:26 pm

Seems like an easy answer........what's the Isan equivalent of eating pizza with a fork?

DuiDui
udonmap.com

Re: Eating Pizza with a Fork

Post by DuiDui » September 15, 2016, 12:34 pm

..hands...

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 15, 2016, 12:40 pm

Don't know parrot, you've got me there, what IS the Isaan equivalent of eating pizza with a fork.? eating sticky rice without putting germ covered fingers into the rice :-k

BTW as someone who rarely eats pizza on it's own (chips and beans are a common accompaniment) I always use a knife & fork when eating it, as chasing beans round the plate with yer fingers has never really worked :-"

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 15, 2016, 12:50 pm

Eating larb/laab/laap with a spoon?

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 15, 2016, 1:17 pm

soup with chopsticks or a fork :lol:
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 15, 2016, 1:36 pm

"Eating larb/laab/laap with a spoon?" .... is there another way ? :shock: can't use a fork as they never give you a knife to push it onto the fork with :evil:

"soup with chopsticks or a fork :lol:"....... need the chopsticks papa as the chicken feet keep falling off the spoon (wrong shape ;) )

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 15, 2016, 2:21 pm

is there another way ? :shock:
Pick up the khao niao, squeeze it and then pick up the larb with the khao niao. That's about the only way I've ever seen it eaten.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 15, 2016, 2:38 pm

My wife and I were sitting at Uncle Mustache's Lahb shop today.....packed as usual for lunch. A table of 4 SCB bank workers sitting nearby eating pretty much the same thing we were eating. But they were doing the fork/spoon trick with the sticky rice....which really doesn't work very well. I have no problem with it.....but it struck me as similar to eating pizza with a knife/fork or worse, KFC with utensils. Sort of like eating noodle soup (here) without slurping up the noodles and biting them off when you're mouth can't take anymore. To eatch (sic) their own.

Klimser

Post by Klimser » September 15, 2016, 7:46 pm

papafarang wrote:soup with chopsticks or a fork :lol:
This can be done actually, but only at sufficient velocity. :mrgreen:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 16, 2016, 10:19 am

No problem with using fingers to eat ....... problem with using same bowl/dish/pot and all putting fingers in.
In all the years in Isaan I have NEVER ONCE seen a villager wash their hands (soap and water) before starting to eat.
Play with the dog followed by hand in rice bowl .... scratch ar*e, hand in rice bowl ...... have a p*ss hand in rice bowl : apply chemicals to land or spray insect killer, hand in rice bowl ..... tried to be "farang same Thai" :lol: during first year here .... two times at hospital with food poisoning and several other less severe cases, so realised I did not possess Thai style caste iron guts so reverted to slightly more hygene with my meals :lol:

Perhaps the bank staff should be applauded parrot in the same way as the early Romans, 18th C English or 19th cent Americans for trying to take a step forward with their eating habits :lol:

As for larb shado ..... try moving a small amount of rice away from the main pile with your fork, use a spoon to take some of the larb and place it on top of rice, use fork to mix two items together according to taste, push mixed rice and larb onto spoon with fork, place in mouth, enjoy the wonderful taste :lol:

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 16, 2016, 10:58 am

I've always eaten larb with khao niao (sticky rice) . It's in the basket, not on the plate. Using a spoon, as parrot pointed out, " really doesn't work very well." I suppose eating larb with khao suay would allow for mixing the larb and rice together, but quite honestly, I don't recall ever seeing khao suay being served with larb. I suppose they could easily be served together, just not in my experience. I have no problem with putting a good sized chunk of khao niao on my plate and then using it to pick up the larb. With family, I have no problem taking the sticky rice from the communal basket for each mouthful.

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » September 16, 2016, 11:37 am

stattointhailand wrote:No problem with using fingers to eat ....... problem with using same bowl/dish/pot and all putting fingers in.
In all the years in Isaan I have NEVER ONCE seen a villager wash their hands (soap and water) before starting to eat.
Play with the dog followed by hand in rice bowl .... scratch ar*e, hand in rice bowl ...... have a p*ss hand in rice bowl : apply chemicals to land or spray insect killer, hand in rice bowl ..... tried to be "farang same Thai" :lol: during first year here .... two times at hospital with food poisoning and several other less severe cases, so realised I did not possess Thai style caste iron guts so reverted to slightly more hygene with my meals :lol:

Perhaps the bank staff should be applauded parrot in the same way as the early Romans, 18th C English or 19th cent Americans for trying to take a step forward with their eating habits :lol:

As for larb shado ..... try moving a small amount of rice away from the main pile with your fork, use a spoon to take some of the larb and place it on top of rice, use fork to mix two items together according to taste, push mixed rice and larb onto spoon with fork, place in mouth, enjoy the wonderful taste :lol:
Strange.
In all my years in Isaan i have NEVER ONCE NOT seen a villager (child or adult) wash their hands prior to eating. And then again wash their hands post eating.

old timer
udonmap.com

Post by old timer » September 16, 2016, 3:28 pm

thaiguzzi wrote:
stattointhailand wrote:No problem with using fingers to eat ....... problem with using same bowl/dish/pot and all putting fingers in.
Play with the dog followed by hand in rice bowl .... scratch ar*e, hand in rice bowl ...... have a p*ss hand in rice bowl : apply chemicals to land or spray insect killer, hand in rice bowl ..... :
Strange.
In all my years in Isaan i have NEVER ONCE NOT seen a villager (child or adult) wash their hands prior to eating. And then again wash their hands post eating.
Thai villagers are useless when it comes to personal hygiene to say the least, the old jar filled with water in the corner of the bathroom is used for everything and a falang needs a tetanus jab before using it to clean his hands.

OT.............. \:D/

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 16, 2016, 4:09 pm

Not quite the way I would have put it OT but ...... dipping your hands into an almost green vat of old rainwater and drying them on your shorts (not washed for a week) is hardly my idea of preparing to eat.

Return to “Society and culture”