Daibetes Local Treatment

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
bumper
udonmap.com

Daibetes Local Treatment

Post by bumper » August 8, 2016, 3:13 pm

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, Currently seeing the Dr. at BKK, long term I believe that will be much to expensive.

Anyone care to offer up local experience on this?

I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Re: Daibetes Local Treatment

Post by Liam Dale » August 8, 2016, 3:24 pm

Get your diet under control, lose weight if needed.. a bit of exercise. Checking your own blood with iHealth monitoring system and if in doubt get a blood test locally for glucose every couple of months to clarify state of play. Metformin 500mg if needed. No stress of doctors/costs unless to ease your own mind. Beer goes out the window (mostly).. the condition is well controlled with a little discipline and no need to be alarmed. Always a bit stressy when first diagnosed. But ALMOST reversible.. at least stopping the tide if you manage to adhere to the above. Beer for me was the bummer! Watch out for tingly feet.. foot bathing in Hydrogen Peroxide and water a couple of times a week to stop Thai bacteria from roads etc. I've reverted to wearing socks again. A BIT fed up with hearing tittering know alls talking under breath about tourist farang when I walk by but I wear them anyway. Handled my type 2 here in Thailand POSSIBLY better than I did in UK for over 4 years now. Try not to fret.. and perhaps ask experienced Thai cooks about Bitter melon gourd and other foods that counter blood sugar. I think they are gross to eat! A packed of dried raisins are a good quick stand by snack for energy without a sugar spike. Hope the above helps. You have a LONG LONG life with no doctors bills if conditioned handled with some care. GL...

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » August 8, 2016, 3:28 pm

Found the Military to be ok with cheap meds. 50 bht to see the doctor every 3 mths. Just long wait for doctor and meds even though you make an appointment.(3 to 4hrs ) Blood test in the morning not more than 500 bht if i remember. Doctors english not very good. Where as the Doctor for Hypertension her english is very good..

747man
udonmap.com

Re: Diabetes Local Treatment

Post by 747man » August 8, 2016, 3:50 pm

I Was diagnosed with Type 2 in 1993 in The U.k,My GP Put me on Metformin & Gliclazide & Other Meds for High Blood Pressure & Hypertension,Taken Every Day 12 Tablets, But try not to get stressed & Do A Little Excercise & Try to control you're weight,No Beer,But A Couple of Small glasses of Red Wine don't do any arm per week But ONLY Small Glasses !!! I Don't feel any different Now as I Did then ( Apart from Slowing down ) But I Am getting On Now.....Don't Worry....

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 8, 2016, 4:17 pm

Last edited by Lone Star on October 18, 2019, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 8, 2016, 6:08 pm

Good Advice went on a strict diet for diabetes on the first reading of 181. It's a learning program for me right now. Doing the self testing now the highest it has been was 163, since I started the diet most of the time n the low 140's.

Not exercising as I was at the peak just treadmill right now. I will build up over time

I have an appointment tomorrow with BKK and see what they tell me to do. If it turns out to be diet and exercise.

I have no idea why\. But, I have never worried about it. I got enough notice to make sure I take care of myself. On a long term basis it could get pretty expensive. Tomorrow I get another blood test I will take one with my equipment and see how they compare.

Army got more time then money :mad: :lol:

Thanks

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » August 8, 2016, 6:13 pm

"Strict" diet isnt necessary fella.. dont BOMB your system.. its a lifestyle change...not a quick fix. be kind to your self. A doctor once said to me.. you wanna lose weight? Lose a pound a month.. that will be nearly a stone in 12 months.. see you next year. Perspective with Type 2.. Change sugar to Stevia.. double the sweet taste anyway.. maybe Sweetex. Half fat milk etc.. back off the bread and potatoes.. take it easy with Pasta.. all these are steady steps and no need to go at the treadmill like a bull at a gate.. :-).. All the best.. Im out your ether.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 9, 2016, 11:35 am

Could of saved myself a trip exactly what the Dr. Said, We are going with diet and exercise H4e gave us a much simpler plan then I was thinking.

They didn't hot me with 5K baht today. Roughly 850 with the blood test. I was tired of being bounced around from Dr. to Dr. I'm very much used to family Dr. concept. So I have been assigned to the Dr. I saw already. Emergency different ball game.

I lost about 3 Lbs for the tree weeks I was on the diet before today. A pound a month is fine with me.

I had already been using Equal in my coffee and Ice Tea. Stopped using milk not because of this just a preference

I found sugar Free Fisherman's Friend today.

So good news all around

Thank all of you for your help

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 9, 2016, 12:29 pm

Well done Bumper. Great support from UM members also.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 9, 2016, 1:03 pm

Thanks lot of good information there thanks for the idea.

dudscar46
udonmap.com

Post by dudscar46 » October 2, 2016, 4:54 pm

Hi, can someone out there please advise me as to the best hospital in or around Udon that is good with diabetic patients? I've had type one now for 4yrs but since been in Thailand ( 1yr now) I'm finding it very hard to control. The young doctors here in Nong bua lamphu hospital are not very clued up.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 2, 2016, 7:56 pm

An Endocronologist is who you need not your basic remote GP.as you have enountered to date.

Im sure many DM members here will have their favourite Medical.Officer etc....

Udon does have Suitable Consultants

old timer
udonmap.com

Post by old timer » April 21, 2017, 12:02 pm

Where can I get Novomix 30 FlexPen in Udon? Is a prescription needed?
If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 22, 2017, 5:46 pm

dudscar46 wrote:Hi, can someone out there please advise me as to the best hospital in or around Udon that is good with diabetic patients? I've had type one now for 4yrs but since been in Thailand ( 1yr now) I'm finding it very hard to control. The young doctors here in Nong bua lamphu hospital are not very clued up.
The Dr. I was using at Bangkok Hospital is now working at Wattana Hospital.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 15, 2017, 11:23 am

Recently my Dr. from Bangkok Hospital transferred to Wattana Hospital, she is great Dr. so I followed her there.. I've been told they have a diabetes clinic mine is now under control now so I haven't used the clinic. The hardest thing is finding food designed for a diabetic.

I found a source for sugar free maple syrup on Ebay it's expensive bit a real treat.

I also found that my blood sugar stays lower when I spend an hour on the treadmill. My goal is to keep under 130, I am able to do that with three pills a day diet changes and the workout. I check everyday when I first wakeup.

I think each of is will have to find what fits best for them.

Good luck I recommend Wattana

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » January 31, 2022, 7:56 am

sorry to drag up this old thread but seemed easiest , just a word of warning for i think us older and bigger guys , ( i,m 108 kg but my weight hasn't changed more than a kilo in the 17 years i,ve been here ) i never knew i was diabetic before last Saturday i knew my blood sugar was a bit high but " hey-ho " i,m no young man .
but Saturday i noticed while drinking my morning coffee my Toe was very black ( the 1 next to my big toe ) showed the Mrs and off to hospital U.T.G.H went for blood test 11am back for results 1pm saw doctor told toe needed " amputating " and that i was very bad diabetic . was booked in then and there , had all to have all the covit tests, results came back negative at 6.30 pm toe chopped off at 7 pm spent the night being pumped full of antibiotics and to get my blood sugar down was released at 11am . very , very good service at hospital , all in cost my 20600 baht . now need full life style change ... ( have the photos off toe before and after if needed ....lol )

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 31, 2022, 10:39 am

timmy wrote:
January 31, 2022, 7:56 am
sorry to drag up this old thread but seemed easiest , just a word of warning for i think us older and bigger guys , ( i,m 108 kg but my weight hasn't changed more than a kilo in the 17 years i,ve been here ) i never knew i was diabetic before last Saturday i knew my blood sugar was a bit high but " hey-ho " i,m no young man .
but Saturday i noticed while drinking my morning coffee my Toe was very black ( the 1 next to my big toe ) showed the Mrs and off to hospital U.T.G.H went for blood test 11am back for results 1pm saw doctor told toe needed " amputating " and that i was very bad diabetic . was booked in then and there , had all to have all the covit tests, results came back negative at 6.30 pm toe chopped off at 7 pm spent the night being pumped full of antibiotics and to get my blood sugar down was released at 11am . very , very good service at hospital , all in cost my 20600 baht . now need full life style change ... ( have the photos off toe before and after if needed ....lol )
Good info timmy THANKS .. get well soon mate... could of been worse could ov been in yer man sausage .. hope the toe moves on to find a new home ..maybe a jar on the manklepiece ?? ..

High rolling life style of fast food , ladies and ARCHA ..there lies the problem.. cut out the Archa

Dr DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Return to “Health & Beauty”