How does one Die in Thailand????

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
dingdong
udonmap.com

How does one Die in Thailand????

Post by dingdong » September 29, 2016, 1:17 pm

Have read a few articles regarding "Kicking the Bucket" here in LOS of other members or actually their better halves running into problems such as claiming the body, obtaining rights to any propoerty(Banks, condos, vehicles etc)
Note I am here on a Retirement Visa and the Better Half is only Thai Married to myself

Does anyone have first hand information as to how to
1) Claim the body for Cremation What paperwork needs to be completed
2) Does one notify the Embassy and if so phone, email or both
3) Vehicle how is teh transfer handled to the wifes name?
4) What documentation is needed to acces the man's bank account
5) Who would issue a death certificate

I will be looking inot these questions also BUT if you have any information it would be appreciated
Thanks
Ding

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: How does one Die in Thailand????

Post by parrot » September 29, 2016, 1:47 pm

For starters, if you're an American Citizen, strongly recommend enrolling in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services
Along with your name, email, phone and room for 250 characters of emergency info (any special medical needs, etc), you can id any number of emergency contacts.
If you have a will, you can use the 250 char. to id where the will is located.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 29, 2016, 1:53 pm

Stop breathing is the preferred way, vehicle accidents or murdered is not the best way but it works.

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » September 29, 2016, 1:54 pm

Thanks for the laugh

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » September 29, 2016, 1:55 pm

Thank you Parrot constructive is greatly appreciated
Unfortunately I am a Brit but this should help others

Ding

svensk1

Post by svensk1 » September 29, 2016, 3:28 pm

To answer your questions, it depends on where the person dies,i.e. at home. on the street, or in a Hospital. , but let me try 1. In order to claim the body of a foreigner, first the police have to give permission. That would mean that any investigation, or autopsy (if required) is complete. They also require at the Government Hospital that all outstanding bills have been paid, and thirdly that you have a next of kin affidavit signed. Sometimes this is required to be furnished by the deceased's embassy. If there is a Thai wife, she must sign the next of kin statement.
2. It depends on the Embassy. The UK Embassy has a hotline for such, 020 7008 1500 and details are available at; https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _death.pdf
If the death occurs in a private Hospital, usually someone from the Hospital will notify both the police and the appropriate foreign embassy.
3. The surviving wife will have to take copies of the death certificate and proof of marriage along with the title book to the licencing branch office of motor vehicles
4. I am told ( by Bangkok Bank) that the wife automatically has access to the husband's funds if she produces a death certificate, proof of marriage, AND there is no other person listed as beneficiary on the account when opened. If there is, or if a will registered in Thailand specifically lists another person as beneficiary, the account would have to be adjudicated in Thai court.
5. The Hospital and or coroner (if the person does not expire in a Hospital) issues the death certificate. In the case of a British subject, an application to register an overseas death will need to be submitted to the Embassy. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _death.pdf
Sometimes they also require that the original passport be returned to the embassy. Sometimes they also charge a fee for that.

I hope that helps. Regardless of the nationality, the Embassy should be notified by a person that speaks that language, and they can assist the next of kin in the proper procedures.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 29, 2016, 4:28 pm

4) before deciding to die, go to the bank and have your spouse listed as the beneficiary.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 29, 2016, 4:59 pm

But don't tell her till just before your last breath ...... or it may come quicker than you expect :lol:

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » September 29, 2016, 5:09 pm

Another Rick Mercer of Thailand

Joe69
udonmap.com

Post by Joe69 » September 30, 2016, 9:45 am

stattointhailand wrote:But don't tell her till just before your last breath ...... or it may come quicker than you expect :lol:
Good idea!

sparticus1
udonmap.com

Post by sparticus1 » December 7, 2016, 12:04 pm

But surely if its only a thai marriage ( in the village) that aint gonna work?

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » December 8, 2016, 12:06 am

Spartacus1 Careful - if you are British "......... its only a thai marriage ( in the village).." counts the same as if it were a wedding in UK. :shock:

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » December 8, 2016, 5:21 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:4) before deciding to die, go to the bank and have your spouse listed as the beneficiary.
I tried that , at SCB they said could not do it ,but wanted to look at the will i'd written , as far as i'm concerned i was talking to another brain dead know it all ,( yes i have a problem with nob heads sitting behind a desk who are full of their self importance ,)so needless to say ,they didn't get to see the will ,i re wrote it so that it's clear even to brain dead f===ckers , and as soon as the bond matures i'll be moving it ,

sparticus1
udonmap.com

Post by sparticus1 » December 8, 2016, 7:24 am

Not as far as i am aware, otherwise the embassy wouldnt need to validate a spouse unless there was a marriage certificate.
I know LIVING in th UK over 6 months together can mean common wife , but you try getting a married pension on that !
And Thai law does not recognise " common wife ", so i cant see any bank or other finacncial firms etc in Thailand, ie changing car ownership etc once you have died working UNLESS you have a proper WILL drawn out beforehand.
But, i hope i am proved wrong. Anyone else Know anything on this subject FOR A FACT?

sparticus1
udonmap.com

Post by sparticus1 » December 8, 2016, 7:41 am

The original post states he is married by Thai marriage ( i assume that means village mariage NO certificate).
So basically a girl friend in Thai law, Unless you have a will drawn out in Thailand stating she gets all in Thailand. That works!
But anything you have in USA or UK will automatically go to next of kin ie; brother sister aunty etc.As living as common law wife and husband in another country without declaring it to a solicitor in that country would mean nothing in my eyes.Unless the other country has a treaty with Thailand. I can see too many downfalls for what your wanting to do in another country.
I think the only way your gonna do this in Thailand with your Village married G/F is to get a lawer to draw out a Will that will over overwrite any other will and / or make it for both countries. Then she will have something official to show. a hand written paper saying you want to do this wont really work, you need it to be an official document... but its still better than signing everything over before you die, as you might not still have it a long tiome before you die lol.
Anyone who knows and can prove different pls have your say, as i know it would be a lot easier for me if you can by just writing out a letter. YOU cant take it with you when you go! Although i am still looking at that way LOL

sparticus1
udonmap.com

Post by sparticus1 » December 8, 2016, 7:44 am

PS. If you need a Lawyer to do that for you and have it also translated into your own language , i do know of one as many ppl here do. Khun Dtom is the lady to see , she owns the Mono Place Hotel in Udonthani and i am sure she can set you up for a reasonable price.....Good Luck in your quest!

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » December 8, 2016, 12:46 pm

Easily.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » December 8, 2016, 3:16 pm

mostly covered already...

coroner issue Death Certicate
Hospital or Police let your embassy know.
Embassy will contact your immediate family overseas, or wife here. Leave details in your wallet/ at home
village wedding not recognised as legal unless registered at Amphur.,
A Will, with good executor of Will, ( your son, daughter, brother, sister, ) lodged with your overseas family /overseas lawyer, with entitlements included for your village wife ( monies, truck, house etc, should do the trick..
if its a joint account and your missus has a atm card and pin, life can continue..

personally, my stuff is handled by my son in OZ via a Will, with directions for him as executor of Will to pay out lump sum to missus's bank account, and further for him to take care of her son, should she die before boy is 21yrs..

the house and land , motorbkes are already in their name, and we have separate bank account using our own separate monies..its just matter of contacting embassy and email my son, in my regard

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 8, 2016, 6:33 pm

You know guys just as I thought there is a good Law Firm listed on the site. Might be worth it to talk to them. We In the VFW have a s Service Officer to assist. That being said he has to have the information to work with. You are not going to be around to ask.

I don't know about the rest of you, But, I know my wife won't be a hg help. I don't withhold information she may need. But she doesn't pay attention. So I hope to have everythong ready the service officer may need.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Return to “Open Forum”