Smart Drive Driving School - Udon Thani

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Smart Drive Driving School - Udon Thani

Post by Khun Paul » January 19, 2017, 7:15 am

Although people may attack my attitude, anecdotal evidence is as follows, watched numerous times , lack of indication when turning, even turning into the School itself. lack of indication when changing lanes, double parking in fact most of the basics we scream about as lack of communication to other drivers.

Not long after they first started I was really interested in finding out just how good they were, so I went along and asked the procedure for moving from one lane to another . because I was always telling my wife she was dpoin g it wrong.
There answer was to move when empty and they almost forgot to say indicator, but no mention of using a mirror.
As most of us were taught Mirror Indicate Move, I was a bit surprised. Judging by what I see they manage to do two of the basic three things, but mirror is not mentioned.

I had a friend who is a trained traffic police officer go there to take a few lessons, he was appalled , he said nothing and behaved as if he could hardly drive.

yes it is better than the family member being taught by their own family, but it covers the basics and even that in only a rudimentary fashion, if they really wanted to improve driving then all drivers should show an R for at least 12 months after passing, to show lack of experience , then at least it would highlight a novice, however as with many things here, lack of any enforcement would be the biggest problem and the cause if I may say so of many, many deaths and injuries.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » January 19, 2017, 1:03 pm

I've been a DVSA Driving instructor for over 40 years. All I can say about driving schools in Thailand are that they are a bloody joke!! Driving is a ''Skill for Life''. Some learners can pass a test with 15 hours and another might take 50 hours or more. I’ve known pupils who have been taking lessons for over a year.
The practical test itself should also be conducted with an independent approved examiner on the road and not the instructor whom by the time a candidate is ready for test has become far too friendly with them.
I’ve looked at these football size routes they teach on and the road markings and sign are not even correct.
I could rant on all day about this however, This Is Thailand and these new rules will only encourage more corruption.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 19, 2017, 1:40 pm

Cant comment on driving schools here but I know from experience Thais in general dont know what the road markings mean , our delivery driver actually asked me why the white n yellow lines in the middle of the road are different size , full or broken double or single etc etc ... holy Sh8t did that take some explaining ... in fact all he did know was the speed limit and traffic light signs .

I recall learning to drive in the UK many moons ago ..was a lenghty stressful process but as WJ says when done properly its a skill for life , unfortunately doesnt seem to be like that here .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 19, 2017, 1:59 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:Cant comment on driving schools here but I know from experience Thais in general dont know what the road markings mean , our delivery driver actually asked me why the white n yellow lines in the middle of the road are different size , full or broken double or single etc etc ... holy Sh8t did that take some explaining ... in fact all he did know was the speed limit and traffic light signs .

I recall learning to drive in the UK many moons ago ..was a lenghty stressful process but as WJ says when done properly its a skill for life , unfortunately doesnt seem to be like that here .

DM
I think I met your delivery driver or his mate on Route 304 between Khorat and Kabin Buri at the weekend DM.
Where they have the broken and full lines to indicate if you have one or two lanes up or down the hills behind the big trucks .......... we have two lanes but no chance to go past a truck and trailer as there must have been 50 plus cars etc on our side of the line overtaking in the opposite direction :evil:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 19, 2017, 2:22 pm

When I learned to drive with BSM many many moons ago (apart from teaching you how to drive they also taught you how to feed the horse in them days) you were required to book, I think it was 2 or 3 lessons, at a time when it would be dark, so as you had experience of all conditions. You also needed to book a lesson for AFTER your driving test where they took you out onto a motorway to drive ("L" drivers are not allowed on motorways in UK).

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » January 20, 2017, 11:41 am

This football size route they teach on is for the very beginning of the students driving lessons
You should not put these total novices out on the Udon streets My wife has just done the first 3 days lessons now
Everyday they drive around Udon somewhere, these are very practical driving lessons with lots of experience for these novice drivers to get
Sure they make mistakes
The school is not perfect but it is a lot better than none
What do you want more totally inexperienced unlicensed drivers on the road

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » January 20, 2017, 12:07 pm

One of the slightly humorous results of my wife's training at Smart Drive was that my own driving suddenly came under scrutiny. With her abundance of new found knowledge and awareness she couldn't help but critique my shortcomings. I became a bit tired of her reminding me to check my mirrors, come to a full stop and to signal properly when turning. That eventually stopped but it was somewhat annoying at the time considering her level of experience and mine. Now it is just the regular old-fashioned "backseat driving" I have to put up with. :lol:

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » January 20, 2017, 3:53 pm

noosard wrote:This football size route they teach on is for the very beginning of the students driving lessons
You should not put these total novices out on the Udon streets My wife has just done the first 3 days lessons now
Everyday they drive around Udon somewhere, these are very practical driving lessons with lots of experience for these novice drivers to get
Sure they make mistakes
Nobody wants inexperience drivers on the road!! What is needed is proper constructive instruction and an independent MOT conducted UK style test at the end when the instructor feel the candidate is ready.
Correct the school is not perfect that is obvious.

Enough said.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » January 21, 2017, 7:27 am

Wee Jimmy wrote:
noosard wrote:This football size route they teach on is for the very beginning of the students driving lessons
Sure they make mistakes
Nobody wants inexperienced drivers on the road!! What is needed is proper constructive instruction and an independent MOT conducted UK style test at the end when the instructor feels the candidate is ready.
Correct, the school is not perfect that is obvious.

Enough said.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » January 21, 2017, 9:01 am

You send them to the UK then
Because this school is what you have here and it is the best here in Udon
enough said

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » January 21, 2017, 9:44 am

What an attitude you have!!
No more said about this.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » January 21, 2017, 9:52 am

[quote="Khun Paul"]Although people may attack my attitude, anecdotal evidence is as follows, watched numerous times , lack of indication when turning, even turning into the School itself. lack of indication when changing lanes, double parking in fact most of the basics we scream about as lack of communication to other drivers.

Not long after they first started I was really interested in finding out just how good they were, so I went along and asked the procedure for moving from one lane to another . because I was always telling my wife she was dpoin g it wrong.
There answer was to move when empty and they almost forgot to say indicator, but no mention of using a mirror.
As most of us were taught Mirror Indicate Move, I was a bit surprised. Judging by what I see they manage to do two of the basic three things, but mirror is not mentioned.

I have noticed that the locals, when they do use the indicator, assume that it is their authority to carry out the manoeuvre, without any mirror double check, and without consideration for other road users.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 21, 2017, 11:56 am

I have found that If you have one occupant in the back seat of a car here, even if they are a "driver" themselves, they will almost always sit slap bang in the middle (blocking the view of the rear view mirror).

Another favorite is at right turn filter lanes ............. how many times have you followed a car/truck along the overtaking lane, where they just turn into the right turn filter lane, drive to the end, AND THEN indicate that they are going to turn right. Don't they realise that the manoeuvre was moving from the overtaking lane to the right turn lane ? once in the right turn lane, turn the indicator off if you like, as everyone knows where you are going :roll:

I'm also pretty sure that most Thais think the criss crossed yellow lines in boxes at some junctions is to make the road look pretty :-"

Another classic that always amuses me, as I see it every day without fail, and it's probably now into the tens of thousands of occasions, is the need to show a left indicator when approaching the junction with a duel carriageway. The road from my house joins the NK Highway and I oncee counted 5 vehicles waiting to join the main road, and each and every one had their left turn indicator on ............ WHERE ELSE ARE YOU GOING? Surprisingly in nearly 15 years I have yet to see a car turn right and go against the traffic from this junction, although I've watched loads of motorbikes do it :evil:

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » January 21, 2017, 8:24 pm

So now you are complaining that some people actually do use the indicator. Even if it is not necessary in some places, there is no law against using it when intending to turn.

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » January 22, 2017, 8:01 am

well it shows that some drivers have learnt and know what a indicator is for.good on them

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 23, 2017, 6:26 am

MALC wrote:well it shows that some drivers have learnt and know what a indicator is for.good on them
That is so true, while one wonders as to why they do that, it is an interesting observation, also the other action I have come to realise is as good as an indicator, is the turn of the head from a motorcyclist, who is about to turn right, as opposed to using indicators or mirrors, they glance ( listen possibly ), to see if there are vehicles near them then move.
As you pass them you realise that the Mirrors fitted as standard have either been removed or moved into the position of being over the central part to reduce wind resistance.
Logical and lateral thinking not used in both of these scenarios.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 25, 2017, 5:51 pm

A long story of not so long ago.
Today while having lunch with a friend and his Thai wife (67), I asked how she learned to drive. She replied that she never really learned. So I asked, how did you get your license. She said she took her newly wed husband to the old driver's license office (off the Udondutsudee Rd) to get his, late 1980's. Having a falang husband, she was directed to the matron of the office....sitting way in the back. The charge for a license on the spot for him was 500 baht. The woman asked the man's wife, do you have a license? No, she replied. The lady told her she'd issue her one as well.......and at that time, the license was issued for a lifetime. No test, no nothing.
The man's wife eventually learned how to drive by trial and error and a few banged up side mirrors........but today, she's quite a good driver.
That's the way things were not so many years ago......and many of those drivers are still on the road today.
Any sort of formal training has got to be better than the days of old.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 15, 2017, 3:42 pm

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 16, 2017, 7:53 am

No matter what they do about the learning and the testing ( which until is out on the road a joke at best). Enforvement and penalties for NOT abiding by the rules is the only way most will adhere.
Enforcement is a joke as is the penalty structure.
I see many so-called police officers ignoring the rules on motorbike riding and car driving, no helmets, no seat belts driving using phone, driving the wrong way.
penalty 1/200 hundred baht no helmet. make it a thousand , per person on any motorbike including children.
5k no tax , 10 k no insurance
Then drivers will not only comply they are insured. so victims at least are looked after.

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » March 16, 2017, 10:30 am

Thanks Parrot a step in the right direction

Return to “Travel & Transport”