One year extension to Non O based on children

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
skinner
udonmap.com

One year extension to Non O based on children

Post by skinner » January 23, 2017, 12:51 pm

I was asked recently if I use one year extensions to Non O based on having a child here . I do not , as I travel away to work twice a year so I do not need a year at a time.
However it has me wondering if anybody does this based on supporting children here , NOT being married to a Thai, as I am unmarried and one year extensions would be needed ( as far as I am aware ) if I apply for permanent residence in the future.

rick
udonmap.com

Re: One year extension to Non O based on children

Post by rick » January 24, 2017, 12:37 pm

Theoretically you can get it. However, when i applied a few years ago in Udon they refused, just said get officially married and apply for Marriage extension. I was living with my daughter's mother so maybe you need to be divorced AND legally responsible for the child. However as with all things in Thailand, no 2 cases treated the same.

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » January 24, 2017, 1:27 pm

There's someone down in Khon Kaen who can help, who's got an office up here near Nong Prajak. Due to the timing of things, now might be the best time. A year ago, no way. PM me for the contact info.

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » January 24, 2017, 3:36 pm

Thanks for taking the time to answer guys. I am in the same situation Rick, don't particularly want to go through the hassle of getting married if I don't need to, and as I said, its not that I need a one year extension, but I have an eye on permanent residence sometime in the future. Guess I will just talk it over with them next time I am in immigration.
Thanks again for the replies.

boz

Post by boz » January 24, 2017, 6:30 pm

I have a non-o based on a child.Have had it now for 3 years.i have never been married with my child's mother and I have full custody,which I think you have to have to get the non-o based on a child+400000 in the bank

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » January 25, 2017, 3:58 am

boz wrote:I have a non-o based on a child.Have had it now for 3 years.i have never been married with my child's mother and I have full custody,which I think you have to have to get the non-o based on a child+400000 in the bank
I do not have " full custody " I am simply the father and provider. Have had many Non imm O based on my child before , but have never applied for one year extension. Previous Non imm O s have been given for " supporting a Thai child "
I am considering the one year extension as it is the one year extensions which are a pre requisite to applying for PR.
I suppose I will just have to apply and see.
Many thanks for the replies

boz

Post by boz » January 25, 2017, 6:39 am

I first had to get a non- o visa from my home country first,then got the one year extensions.go to the udon immigration and ask them if or how you can get it but if you are together with your child's mother then like Rick said they will tell you to get married .

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”