It's Cricket or is it?

General sports news and discussions.
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

It's Cricket or is it?

Post by stattointhailand » February 9, 2017, 9:27 am

Struggled as to where to put this ........ It's certainly not CRICKET and I'm not really sure is it qualifies to be classed as a World "SPORT"

How can someone hitting 300 NO off 72 balls (39 sixes) possibly be put in the CRICKET section of the BBC website [-X

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/38904731

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Re: It's Cricket or is it?

Post by vidmaster » February 9, 2017, 10:42 am

I think it's the way if the world
If OD & T 20 not developed there probably wouldn't be any cricket

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » February 9, 2017, 1:34 pm

There will still be 90,000+ on boxing day to watch the men in whites later in the year. But there may also be 50,000 that evening 2kms away at the docklands stadium to watch the 20 - 20. Games never been healthier down here.
Watch Me!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 9, 2017, 2:00 pm

vidmaster wrote:I think it's the way if the world
If OD & T 20 not developed there probably wouldn't be any cricket

There ISN'T any cricket already ......... nobody in the current generation is able to play the game properly, they can't stay still long enough at the crease, and are always going forward or back BEFORE the bowlers even released the ball.
Might as well go the full hog and give EVERY fielder a bloody great big glove to catch the nasty hard ball in, just in case they hurt their little pinkies.

Stattos bring back PROPER cricket campaign would start by banning helmets :shock:

No helmets mean the batsmen is going to make sure he is behind the line to defend, none of this "I can have a swing at it and if I get it wrong it will just bounce off me helmet" lark. :evil:

Someone needs to tell the bloomin umpires that a ball bowled 6 ins or even a foot down the leg side is a tactical maneuver on the part of the bowler, it is NOT a no ball if the batsman can reach it :evil:

Any batsmen scoring more than one boundary behind square in an over shall be given out for "taking the p*ss". You are given a bat to hit the ball with, it is perfectly big enough to get enough of it on the ball for it to go in a forward direction =;

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » February 9, 2017, 5:23 pm

For Christ sakes Statto next you'll be wanting to bring back Geoffrey Boycott and Christopher Tavare.
In early January I watched David Warner make a century before lunch on day one of a test match in Sydney. Was magical and great entertainment and had only been done by four other players. Cricket at its best. Maybe you'll get to see a bit of Davy Warner's work next summer when the poms come over for their regular southern hemisphere humiliation :) If not enjoy this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34YcUxw5IJs

and google the other 4 players to make 100 before lunch on day one. there's only 1 surprise.
Watch Me!!

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » February 9, 2017, 11:17 pm

Unfortunately the best thrash I can recall was by an Aussie. Aaron Finch at the Rose Bowl 5 years or so back when he hit about 150 against England.

He came to play for Yorkshire for a couple of years where I watched him regularly. Always seemed to flatter to deceive to be honest and not a patch on Sir Geoffrey

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » February 11, 2017, 7:43 am

Yes Sir Geoffrey...... well remembered in these parts for making himself unavailable for the 1974/75 tour when Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thompson were at their quickest. Great technique and a patient accumulator of runs but at the end of the day a coward when the wickets and bowling got a bit quick.
Aaron Finch can't get a first class game for Victoria - poor technique but brutal strength and not a bad eye. He has also won more world cups that any English player even if he did make a duck in the final.
Watch Me!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » February 11, 2017, 8:14 am

England have the record and honour of picking some of the most exciting batsmen to grace the centre pitch. Boycott included as captian of the dreary. Tavare as vice captain. They got into losing situations so often they had to have these guys in the 11.

4. Slowest fifty
Trevor Bailey of England, who passed away in 2011, was known as the ‘Barnacle’, since he saved his team from many a sticky situation with his customary, ultra-defensive batting style. No surprises then, that he is the holder of the slowest recorded Test fifty.
He took 350 balls and 357 minutes to reach the landmark against Australia at Brisbane in 1958-59, where he opened the innings. In all, he faced 438 balls for 68.
This is also the slowest fifty in all of first-class cricket. Even Chris Tavare could not beat this record, despite his best efforts.

Return to “World Sports”