spice

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
papafarang
udonmap.com

spice

Post by papafarang » January 21, 2017, 1:58 pm

although you can get just about every spice and herb there is in Thailand, there are some that are impossible to find, for instance caraway seed is not available, and I tried everyone I could think of. well some one asked me to find some spice for them in the uk. I found an excellent supplier here . I was just wondering, i'm putting a list of spice and herbs to send back and was wondering if any budding cooks are short of spices. so this is the list so far. so if there's anything someone looking for let me know.
Natural Hickory smoke powder.
Smoked paprika.
Blue poppy seeds (baking).
Jamaican allspice berries..
Horse radish powder.
sage (European).
mint (European).
curry leaves.

Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Tracechain
udonmap.com

Re: spice

Post by Tracechain » January 21, 2017, 4:29 pm

The newly opened Mackro in MBLP has a fairly well stocked wall of herbs and spices, most of it in bulk. Very impressive store with wide isles and clean! Makes the one here in UD look like....well just exactly what it looks like. Also a small selection of meat cuts. Worth the drive IMHO.
Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » January 21, 2017, 6:52 pm

yes makro have a great selection, but not everything. they have sage but its Chinese and has a different flavor , I found allspice before but it was pre ground which is no good as the aroma dies pretty quick after their ground, caraway is a problem too as the thai word for caraway is cumin, its understandable as cumin is also known as Persian caraway so there's no way to describe true caraway too them. I just putting together a list of the spices too hard to find in Thailand. caraway and cumin seeds look almost identical except colour. but completely different uses

Imagejpg images
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Owld Feller
udonmap.com

Post by Owld Feller » February 25, 2017, 3:57 pm

papafarang wrote:although you can get just about every spice and herb there is in Thailand, there are some that are impossible to find, for instance caraway seed is not available, and I tried everyone I could think of. well some one asked me to find some spice for them in the uk. I found an excellent supplier here . I was just wondering, i'm putting a list of spice and herbs to send back and was wondering if any budding cooks are short of spices. so this is the list so far. so if there's anything someone looking for let me know.
Natural Hickory smoke powder.
Smoked paprika.
Blue poppy seeds (baking).
Jamaican allspice berries..
Horse radish powder.
sage (European).
mint (European).
curry leaves.
Dependent upon the quantities (and prices) I could be interested in smoked paprika and European mint, if they are still available.

I would love to find (also) European basil and mint plants.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » February 26, 2017, 9:23 pm

just ordered some, it won't be expensive , I will be over in a few weeks. I might post it so could be sooner. I will let you know when available. I get them in 500g packs which is a bit much... unless you like smoked paprika on everything :lol:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » February 27, 2017, 9:21 am

Mint plants . 2 species were at Tungsimung festival 10 baht.per container. Well.developed.

Owld Feller
udonmap.com

Post by Owld Feller » February 27, 2017, 2:15 pm

papafarang wrote:just ordered some, it won't be expensive , I will be over in a few weeks. I might post it so could be sooner. I will let you know when available. I get them in 500g packs which is a bit much... unless you like smoked paprika on everything :lol:
wazza wrote:Mint plants . 2 species were at Tungsimung festival 10 baht.per container. Well.developed.
Many thanks to both for the replies.

1) Dean can you please let me know when it's available?

2) Wazza, do you know if they were European or Thai/Asian mint?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » February 27, 2017, 2:21 pm

One is definately what I call Oz Mint. Used in mint sauce for lamb etc.. also Thais use it in Larp.

The 2nd mint is a.lighter green in colour. Very similar in aroma and taste.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » February 27, 2017, 2:26 pm

2 mints.

GF says both same flavour but slightly different in their colours
Attachments
20170227_142259.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 7, 2017, 1:15 pm