udorn, ubon and bridge over the river kwai

This forum is for personal video clips or favourite clips from youtube etc. (Only videos relating to Udon Thani and Thailand please)
skipvice
udonmap.com

udorn, ubon and bridge over the river kwai

Post by skipvice » May 25, 2007, 1:29 am

A friend of mine who was station in Udorn back in the good old days made this and sent it to me, I thought I would share it. This is what Udorn and Ubon and the Bridge over the river kwai looked like. click on photo to view it may take some time but worth it.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 25, 2007, 5:40 am

Thanks for that,was a couple of them shots from the Annual Udon Fair ?, don't seem like to much has changed.
An enjoyable viewing.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » May 25, 2007, 6:23 am

udorn??? where is udorn??? :roll:
its udon thani :roll:

skipvice
udonmap.com

Post by skipvice » May 25, 2007, 6:37 am

farang wrote:udorn??? where is udorn??? :roll:
its udon thani :roll:
Yes,but when I was There in The 60s We called it Udorn,still sounds the same. :lol:

bubbles
udonmap.com

Post by bubbles » May 25, 2007, 6:50 am

Great short film can you tell me where is ubon ?, and those photos of the planes some of the pictures is Udon, also is it true that the road along the air base in Udon was originally the runway during the vietnam war.

Thanks Bubs

LU
udonmap.com

Post by LU » May 25, 2007, 7:44 am

Nice photos Skipvice. The mia and I got a kick out of viewing them just now. :D

Bubbles, I think that the runway Thai Air lands on in Udorn is the same runway we used during the war. At least that has been my assumption based on what I could see during my last few visits. Perhaps someone can/will correct me if I'm mistaken. Ubon was another airbase we used. It is southeast of Udorn near the boarder with Laos and near the Thai towns of Sisaket and Surin.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » May 25, 2007, 9:54 am

The runway you use now to land on is the same runway used during the Viet Nam conflict. As you land, the Air America Ramp is the concrete going off to the left. The commercial (if you can call it that) airport was on about half way down the runway next to the parking area for the refueling vehicles. Between the two you had Units 555 and 432 fighters. Where the current Airport building sits sat the Jolly Greens, Spooky gun ships, and the jet engine test area.

So much has changed yet so much is still the same. Time erases many memories and heals many wounds. Wish folks could do the same.

By the way Skip, Thanks for sharing. Really good view.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » May 25, 2007, 1:08 pm

Image Thanks for sharing the photos of Udorn (Udon Thani), Ubon (Ubonratchathani) and River Kwae (Kwai), Skipvice.

It will always be Udorn to those who were here in the 60s and 70s and earlier (Udorn Hotel, Udorn VFW, etc.). Wonder when the train station was built! Probably before/during WWII? Signs at the railway station show Udorn Thani. Maybe the Japanese started it all? :lol:

Return to “Udon Thani & Thailand Video Clips”