Renewing from temporary Thai drivers license to 5-year

Thailand laws, tips and advice.
Mainer
udonmap.com

Renewing from temporary Thai drivers license to 5-year

Post by Mainer » November 12, 2007, 4:38 pm

Has anyone recently renewed their temporary 1-year Thai drivers license to 5-year? I have read about some recent problems, regarding having landlords go to Immigration with the applicant, 1000 baht fines because he didn't do this as required by Thai law within 24 hours of the tenent moving in, and even some say a map must be drawn from Immigration Office to your home??

I have a new landlord now so I must get him to give me a paper, so I can go to Immigration to get another paper, and then on to the Driver's License Office? Is that the process? Did I miss a step? My temporary 1-year expires on 27 November.

So if anyone can shed some light, it will be appreciated.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Re: Renewing from temporary Thai drivers license to 5-year

Post by Irish Alan » November 12, 2007, 5:01 pm

driving.information.in.th wrote:Once you have enjoyed your Thai temporary driver's license for a year, you need to get a "real" driving licence. If you are a foreigner in Thailand, these real driving licenses come in 1 and 5 year versions.

There seems to be quite a bit confusion about what license to apply for and when. We can only speak from personal experience and from a few statements as they were made by the friendly officials at the Department of Land Transportation, in Bangkhuntian district in Bangkok. It is possible that the rules may differ slightly in other provinces away from the capital, although it's said to be unlikely.

According to a number of web boards and "all about Thailand" booklets the only way to get a 5 year driving permit is to let the old licence expire first and report to the DLT a day late. "Nonsense!", we've been told and proven. There is another fable that talks about having to apply for a regular 1 year driving permit first, before you can get the pink 5 year driver's licence in Thailand. We believed this to be logical and very likely to be true, but we were proven wrong and were told to change the application form and apply for a driver's license that is valid for 5 years.

How easy it is to get a driver's license that is valid for five years:

* enter the DLT building at any time during the opening hours, although it's probably wise to avoid the lunch hour and the early morning's queues for first time applicants. It's advisable to bring a translator, but it is not required.
* Go to the driving license application window and request a driving license application form
* ask your translator to fill out the form while you get your pictures taken (70 bath for 6 pictures at the Bangkhuntian location).
* After verifying this information with the person at the application window, make copies of following pages in your passport: the first page, the visa stamp page, the last entry stamp page and the page with the last visa extension, if any.
If you have a work permit book which you'd like to use as address verification, copy the first and second page, the page with the address of the employer and, if you had a new address listed in your workbook, page 23, where the change of address is listed.
* Hand over all documents persons behind the application window, whom, if all found to be in order, will hand you back the documents with a queue number.
* Wait for your number to be called or shown and hand over your stack of documents, together with your passport and possibly work permit. After this final check you will get back your passport and you will be allowed to pay the 505 baht fee (5 years validity @ 100 baht plus 5 baht for the "paper"), for which you will get a receipt.
* Take a seat and wait for your name to be called.
* Sign the back of the driving license and the receipt and take your brand new licence to the laminating shop.
* While walking you will probably notice that the expiry date is not just 5 years from the current date, but longer: until your first birthday following today's date plus 5 years! An excellent way not to forget the date.

Qualifying requirements:

* Being of sound mind and good health (not having physical or mental handicap(s) that will prevent them from operating a vehicle safely) - being at least 18 years of age
* If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).

What you will need when applying for your Thai drivers license with a five year validity:

* temporary Thai driving license.
* Valid Passport with Valid Non-immigrant Visa
* A certified letter of address from the applicant's embassy, or from the Immigration Bureau (document can not be older than 30 days).

If you are working in Thailand: Your work permit, can replace either of these documents and serve as address verification!

* 2 photos, 1 x 1 inch and not older than 6 months (use the photo service on the premises, so there won't be an issue about how old the pictures are. Using last year's pictures will definitely not be accepted).
http://driving.information.in.th/extend ... cense.html

Naam Jai
udonmap.com

Post by Naam Jai » November 12, 2007, 5:17 pm

Mainer

I have a 5 year driving licence which I applied for when the one year licence expired. It was no problem and very important as it is vitually an ID /Passport/DL rolled into three.

Take your old licence and your "Certificate of Residence in Thailand" ?rental agreement landlords and your passport/ID AND COPIES particulars to Driving Licence office. Photos of the correct size ( 1") and copies of anything else they need can be acquired at the centre. Presumably you took your International Licence or UK or other country driving licence with you when you first applied but I took them again though they were not required though looked at.
Fill in the request form and pay the fee.

Now, if that has been helpful I need some help. Where exactly is the Driving Licence centre for Udon?How do I get there Udonmap.com? I need to get a change of address on the existing one.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » November 12, 2007, 7:58 pm

Naam Jai, the licence place is at Nong Sung on the KK road. look for the army stuff on the side of the road and do a u turn at the next turning facility. Come back about 500 metres.
Gurgle, Gurgle...

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » November 12, 2007, 8:05 pm

Naam Jai, on reflection it may be worth while checking at the one stop shop on the NK road. I went there for a new motor cycle number plate and the form they gave me had drivers licence stuff on the reverse side.

It is on the right maybe 500 metres before the ring road. The building has ISO 3320 or something on the front of it. Stands out like a black dogs gonads, just past a Honda Motor Cycle place.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » November 12, 2007, 8:41 pm

From a thread on this subject last year that should be helpful to some. Some really good info from Ray, Rickfarang, Arjay, LA and others on the documents needed, directions to Licence/Land Transport building in Nong Soong, etc. Also, some interesting opinions. lol.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... c&start=15

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » November 12, 2007, 9:22 pm

the info you got was correct except they left out one very important issue if you do not have a non imm visa they will not give you 5 yrs only 1 yr. tourist visa only get one year no matter how many times you renew it I know because I have been down that road before best of luck

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » November 12, 2007, 10:02 pm

Folks seem to have failed to mention the form from Immigration that is needed to retrieve a license or buy a vehicle. A friend is currently going through all kinds of hassle from Immigration on this very subject. Personally I had absolutely no problems when I obtained my license last April... went to Immigration and told them what I wanted to do, they provided me with the necessary form. I filled it out, and they signed, stamped and gave me the form to take to DLT. (I still have a copy) :D

Now, I explained this to my friend and so he went to Immigration and they said he needs a paper from the DTL indicating that he wishes to apply for his license and they gave him a 'sample' of the paper they want DTL to provide. Whether this is a 'new' requirement or possibly just B/S as usual from the Nong Khai Immigration Office, I don't know. What my friend said was when they gave him the 'sample', the guy also made several copies first - as if he was going to have to give them out to new applicants in the future. :yikes: TIT

As a side note, my 1 year license had been expired for over 8 months when I got the 5 year version... nothing was said about it. :?

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » November 13, 2007, 5:47 am

any need for a doctor's certificate to renew a 1 yr d/l?

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » November 13, 2007, 7:08 am

Pakawala wrote:Folks seem to have failed to mention the form from Immigration that is needed to retrieve a license or buy a vehicle. A friend is currently going through all kinds of hassle from Immigration on this very subject. Personally I had absolutely no problems when I obtained my license last April... went to Immigration and told them what I wanted to do, they provided me with the necessary form. I filled it out, and they signed, stamped and gave me the form to take to DLT. (I still have a copy) :D

Now, I explained this to my friend and so he went to Immigration and they said he needs a paper from the DTL indicating that he wishes to apply for his license and they gave him a 'sample' of the paper they want DTL to provide. Whether this is a 'new' requirement or possibly just B/S as usual from the Nong Khai Immigration Office, I don't know. What my friend said was when they gave him the 'sample', the guy also made several copies first - as if he was going to have to give them out to new applicants in the future. :yikes: TIT

As a side note, my 1 year license had been expired for over 8 months when I got the 5 year version... nothing was said about it. :?
There's another post in which someone reported that they got the run around. Apparently, have to go to DTL first to get a letter requesting certified letter from Immigration, give this letter to Immigration and they will then give you the certified letter to give to DTL.

Here's the link to DTL:

http://driving.information.in.th/thai-dmv.html

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 13, 2007, 8:03 am

There appears to be one point missing here:-
Your one year license MUST BE expired before applying for a 5 year ( :shock: TiT don't ask why). You will only be issued with a 12 month license if not, I was caught by this bu11sh1t.

Mainer
udonmap.com

Post by Mainer » November 13, 2007, 11:08 am

This morning I went to my new landlord and got a copy of the house book and ID card. Then I went with landlord to Udon Police station and I got another paper (20 baht). No idea what it said, or what they talked about, but it was said I just take this paper to Immigration. The landlord took back the copy of ID card and said I not need now I have the police paper. HMMMM :?

I have 2 weeks before my license expires. Should I attempt a run to Nong Khai Immigration and hope for the best, or go to Driver's License Office building for a form? My thinking is go to Immigration and get certified paper and then wait until the day it expires and go to get license. If Immigration says I need a form, then I can go get one, I suppose.

In appreciation for your efforts, I will post my detailed experience of what actually happened in the license renewal process, to the best of my ability, not knowing all that is said in Thai.

What are your thoughts.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » November 13, 2007, 12:36 pm

The most recent information that I have seen on this site says that you will need a letter from the Department of Land Transportation requesting the address confirmation from immigration.

As an aside, the procedures up here seem different from that in Bangkok. Oh, well... :?

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 13, 2007, 12:41 pm

You wont get anything from the licensing office until you have the address confirmation letter from Immigration first. BUT take note to get the 5 year license your current one MUST BE expired, at least one day, one week, one month, it does not matter (Sorry to repeat this but it is important). No big deal as your overseas license can still be presented if you are asked for one by the BiB.

Mainer
udonmap.com

Post by Mainer » November 30, 2007, 9:15 pm

As I noted in my last post on this thread, I promised to tell you of my experiences of renewing my (2) temporary 1-year Thai drivers license to 5-year. Yesterday, I was finally successful in getting my motorcycle and car 5-year driver's licenses. Without a doubt, it was the most frustrating experience of my 3-year stay in Thailand. It far exceeded any ordeal of getting any non-O retirement visa, either the 3 month I got in Laos or 9 month or 1-year extension I got here in Thailand.

It is my intention to tell you of MY experience, although it may not be yours. First, I will try and explain the procedure.

What is needed:

1. FIRST, a letter from the Department of Land and Transport (DTL) requesting a certified letter of address from the Immigration. (The letter from DTL is a must, according to my experience. I tried to sidestep that but it did not work).
2. A temporary 1-yr. Thai driver

Glen3
udonmap.com

Post by Glen3 » December 2, 2007, 4:10 pm

WOW SOunds like fun to me!
Regards, Glen

keg
udonmap.com

Post by keg » December 3, 2007, 10:41 am

Mainer,

Your experience sounds similar to mine several months back to obtain my first one year license. I dealt with the gentleman next to the window for all visits. Immigration first turned me away because I did not have the letter from Land Transport requesting the resident status letter from immigrtion for the purpose of obtaining a drivers license. I went back to LTO and got the letter. Immigration next turned me away as I only had a copy of my landlords house book and ID, he said she had to come in person with me, the copies were no good. I then went back with the landlord in person and the letter was obtained after filling out the forms indicating that a farang stayed at her house and a 1000baht fine for failure to notify them of this within 24 hours. Land Transport were OK with copies only of the landlords house book and ID along with rental agreement. Man at immigration said I have to bring landlord back with me for any future transactions as well, such as buying or sellling a car in my name or obtaining another license minus the 1000baht if staying at the same address. Make sure you keep copies of the forms immigration gives you pertaining to the notification of residence or there will probably be another 1000baht fine each trip. He even wrote a receipt for the 1000 baht. Great report and sounds like you had even more trouble then me.

Keg

wazza
udonmap.com

Drivers Licences

Post by wazza » December 5, 2007, 7:13 pm

Good god !!!

All i did to make mine from 1 year which was issued in BKK and converted to 5 years in Udon, was to show the orginal Yellow house book i have, copy of my exsisting passport with my Tourist visa in it and 15 mins later, i had my new 5 year licence issued.

The haredest part of all this was trying to find the laminating lady after i walked out of the office.

keg
udonmap.com

Post by keg » December 5, 2007, 8:00 pm

Wazza,

When did you get the license converted to the 5 year? Did you not have to get a letter of residency from immigration? I got my license in late August and the lady at Land Transport said I was the first she had dealt with that immigration sent back to them for a letter from LTO first prior to giving out the letter of residency status. She did say that it was a new requirement and did know about it. I believe having a yellow book makes it easier as well. I rent and I believe it sounded like Mainer rented as well so had the issues with the Landlord and notifying immigration of a farang residing at your residence. I thought this letter of residency from immigration was now standard policy, but if you did not need it, if you did this recently, I guess it is the old selective enforcement going on.

Keg

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » February 5, 2008, 7:52 pm

Your story is one of the most impressive stories of mental torture and suffering through bureaucratic red tape in Thailand that I have heard! #-o

You deserve a gold star for tenacity, a congratulatory handshake and a slap on the back. =D> Image=D>

Thank you for posting this valuable information and for the very amusing detailed tale.

Now you can sit back and relax for another 5 years. :guiness:

Return to “Thailand Law”