Silver Reef Hotel

Get advice on hotels, guest houses, rentals and house sales in Udon Thani.
michaleo
udonmap.com

Silver Reef Hotel

Post by michaleo » April 1, 2010, 6:36 pm

As much as I see there is not yet a topic about the silver reef hotel, even the name often appears by searching it. I passed by when I looked for the busstation. As I am sleeping now at Top mansion and I am going to leave Udon soon, I would like to try out before another hotel again.

Now I saw that in the parterre there is a kind of bar, does anybody know if this bar is used as such in the evening? Or is it far to another bar? I like to drink my beer just near the hotel before I go to sleep, and I like it if any bargirl sits around next to me.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Silver Reef Hotel

Post by BobHelm » April 1, 2010, 8:37 pm

I think the Silver Reef has had more than 1 thread in the past...
It has been a long time since I have stayed there, so what I know from then may not still be accurate.
It does have a bar area, which also used to double as a breakfast room in the morning.
The bar was only ever really used by guests when I stayed there - but I think that is more because it is really out of the way for much except maybe the bus station. If you stole a bar girl from else where & took her back to the Silver Reef's bar for a night cap or two then I am absolutely sure that the staff & owners would have no issue with that.
One point that is worth mentioning is from since it has been open it is a smoke free establishment.
UD town is probably the nearest place for a drink - there are also a couple of Thai bars on the opposite side of the road to UD down to your right. If you go the other way (towards 7/11) then if you turn right Fuzzy Kens is probably the nearest, or Mojos. Turn left past 7/11 & Yellow Bird Disco is a bit of a walk (but easily doable sober :D :D ) in that direction.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » April 1, 2010, 11:01 pm

The front/Reception area isn't really a bar, though there are some tables there. I don't believe there is any actual "table service", other than a fridge stocked with some drinks, so you could have a self service drink there, or perhaps make a cup of coffee.

If you were to take any guest to your room I would suggest going straight there, without passing go or collecting £200 as they say.

michaleo
udonmap.com

Post by michaleo » April 3, 2010, 9:47 am

BobHelm wrote: If you stole a bar girl from else where & took her back to the Silver Reef's bar for a night cap or two then I am absolutely sure that the staff & owners would have no issue with that.
Staff and owner probably don't care, but what will a bargirl say if I just steal her without paying? :lol:

The silver reef looks like any othe hotel seen from far.

If you approach that maison, you will realise that it looks a bit else than the other hotels.

If you see the front you will realise that it must be a hotel paintet with coulors of pop.

Also from the other side you will realise that this is an unique hotel.

When you enter it you can read in big letters a word, that you can hear a thousant times an evening coming out of the mouth of sexy bargirls: welcome.

And two changs.
One for me and one as a ladydrink.

But, as Bob said before, there are no bargirls sitting around and charming around.
A pity, because the bar looks really cool.

If I could find a bargirl in the same colour, I would bring her immediately.

There is no lift of cource, but in the stairs we see the topic of "the beauty and the beast".
Oh, didn't I see that topic as well last night in the bar? :lol:

The bedroom costs Baht 650 a night. Here I realise that it is not popculture that inspires the owner, but Walt Disney.
Would you like to be overran in the night by Mickey Mouse?
Probably not, especcially if you have my name.

The room ist with shower and looks clean.

The daymanager ist nice and correct. I didn't sleep in this hotel, (so I cannot recommand it) because I wanted to watch a girl eating gang sen that evening.

But I think the hotel is OK if you need something near the busstation and bring your beloved with you.

monkeyman
udonmap.com

Post by monkeyman » April 3, 2010, 11:27 am

Unfortunately we found the service terrible and the owner was also very rude to my wife! :evil:

keith555
udonmap.com

Post by keith555 » April 3, 2010, 10:17 pm

Dont forget earplugs when you stay there,4am in the morning they start the buses up

Megatic

Post by Megatic » September 18, 2010, 1:00 pm

my 2nd stay here, and find it very good, great wifi service, if I have needed anything at all, staff have it for me straight away. Place is spotless, handy to everywhere, and the owner has been nothing but pleasant. =D> I must be staying at another Silver Reef to what Monkeyman stayed at. :confused:

cryptic
udonmap.com

Post by cryptic » September 18, 2010, 2:27 pm

Got to say this about Silver Reef.......GREAT. I came up from BKK with a couple of buddies from stateside and Iraq and stayed at this joint a few months back.
Service.....Plus, Owner Tiffany goes out of her way to make your stay enjoyable.
Cleanliness....Plus
Location....Plus
Friendliness....Plus
Noise, well I could faintly hear traffic when got up for the John job at 5am, too much Leo from the night before. The other bud's never mentioned noise so I guess no problems.
Price....Considering everything above...Quite OK.

See you next time Silver Reef, were heading back.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » September 18, 2010, 8:36 pm

Im sure this is a nice establishment to sta, however given the pictures it looks like something from a bad acid trip from my youth!

Banjo
udonmap.com
Location: Surfing with Eudyptula minor, shooting vermin or philandering in a Soi

Post by Banjo » September 19, 2010, 3:47 pm

It appears the owners/management are lifting their service levels, possibly due to the fact that it has been on the market for a number of months now at an asking price of THB20 Million. I had a walk thru recently and was certainly impressed with the cleanliness of the place, the layout and facilities, together with the land for expansion and the rooftop garden. It is an ideal location, being near the Bus Station and a short stroll to Central Plaza and the Train Station, for inexpensive tourist/backpacker accommodation though the decor is not my cup of tea. Waking up seeing a larger than life Mickey Mouse over the bed would do my head in for the rest of the day :confused:

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » September 19, 2010, 9:39 pm

this place has been for sale 3-5 year, they asked 25.000.000 before now go some down

but I would never buy for crazy 20. but good luck to all

I would only stay there if I came very late or had to go early

mally
udonmap.com

Post by mally » September 19, 2010, 10:48 pm

Me & a friend stayed there for 3 nights about 6 months ago, we had planned to stay at the Clock but they were full, so we took this place at the last min. Whilst it was nothing to write home about, it was clean, the staff were pleasant, and it was lady friendly. If my usual place was not available, I wouldn't worry about staying there again.

20m tb seems a tad expensive to me though, whilst we were there it seemed to rely on the rooms for income, the only people I ever saw drinking there were Me, my mate, and the girls we brought back.

Eazy-Going
udonmap.com

Post by Eazy-Going » September 19, 2010, 11:19 pm

It could be as clean as the proverbial whistle but 20mil bht...no way, no where, no never, no how....where the hell do these sort of inflated prices come from...is it farang owned? You'd have to have a hell of a lot of bed nights to even dream about re-couping a fraction of your outlay back...imo!

cryptic
udonmap.com

Post by cryptic » September 20, 2010, 12:42 am

20m B, chicken feed in 10 years time. The centre of a large expanding city, national bus station close by and will not be there in 10yrs. A cheap price for the people who have a bit of a vision and not thinking about next week.

monkeyman
udonmap.com

Post by monkeyman » September 20, 2010, 1:24 am

cryptic wrote:20m B, chicken feed in 10 years time. The centre of a large expanding city, national bus station close by and will not be there in 10yrs. A cheap price for the people who have a bit of a vision and not thinking about next week.

Correct, the way Udon is expanding at such a fast & furious pace, IMO this is priced correctly........ 8)

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » September 20, 2010, 4:20 am

Don't recall the investment details though did tour the Silver Reef. Assume 20 rooms at 650 baht per night totals 13,000 baht, x 30 nights = 390,000 baht per month, x 12 = 4.7 MB annual, now x .7 to reflect 70% occupancy, = 3.3 MB, less operating costs of say 1.3 MB, leaves 2 MB net profit, or 10% return on asking price, if 70% occupancy achieved.

For naysayers saying it is overpriced, how much is city center land, and replacement cost of building and contents? Details please. I can only guess the building alone at least 12 MB, probably going higher every year.

The more crowded the location, the higher the commercial potential, and thus higher land cost. This explains why even unsightly Udon Thani property is expensive. The rice soup shop opposite the Post Office on Srisuk Road (near Maya) just bought two adjoining shophouses, each 4 meters wide, total land 50 square wah, they paid 12 MB plus 1 MB for renovations. This so they could sell bowls of soup for 30 baht each.

Downside of that area around the bus station and Silver Reef is that it seems to have riff raff 24 hours per day.

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » September 20, 2010, 11:02 am

rct wrote:Don't recall the investment details though did tour the Silver Reef. Assume 20 rooms at 650 baht per night totals 13,000 baht, x 30 nights = 390,000 baht per month, x 12 = 4.7 MB annual, now x .7 to reflect 70% occupancy, = 3.3 MB, less operating costs of say 1.3 MB, leaves 2 MB net profit, or 10% return on asking price, if 70% occupancy achieved.

For naysayers saying it is overpriced, how much is city center land, and replacement cost of building and contents? Details please. I can only guess the building alone at least 12 MB, probably going higher every year.

The more crowded the location, the higher the commercial potential, and thus higher land cost. This explains why even unsightly Udon Thani property is expensive. The rice soup shop opposite the Post Office on Srisuk Road (near Maya) just bought two adjoining shophouses, each 4 meters wide, total land 50 square wah, they paid 12 MB plus 1 MB for renovations. This so they could sell bowls of soup for 30 baht each.

Downside of that area around the bus station and Silver Reef is that it seems to have riff raff 24 hours per day.
The Thai's ROI criteria is often far different from a Western person. IMO this is why a Thai might consider something a good deal while a Westerner will laugh and walk away. So who's right; is the deal a good one or not? They are both right! As long as an investor is happy with his investment it's a good deal.......for HIM.

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » September 20, 2010, 7:54 pm

Its a great place to stay. Tiffany and her hubby both lived in Canada as I recall and she is originally from Udon they are super nice and helpfull. I always found the place clean and quite, I like the fact that there is not a late night bar in the lobby that way I can keep the beers and the bed a little further apart and the five minute stroll from the action is good for reflecting/sobering up :D

DRILLER
udonmap.com

Post by DRILLER » September 22, 2010, 3:48 pm

i stayed there the first time i come to udon thani. it was a very convenient location to the plaza, bars and markets but the owner whom at first was friendly and chatty to me when i arrived, soon became otherwise.
she really appears to be wanting to be somewhere else. somewhat sad looking.

a candian chap staying there had some kind of anger management problem as he was often having difficulties with the other guests.

i think they do very well indeed due to the bus & train stations nearby.

Return to “Udon Thani Accommodation”