long running script

General Udon Thani topics only!
maaka
udonmap.com

long running script

Post by maaka » July 7, 2013, 3:06 pm

' udon map is not responding due to long running script '...what the blue blazes does that mean ????????? what script??

trubrit
udonmap.com

long running script

Post by trubrit » July 7, 2013, 3:10 pm

maaka wrote:' udon map is not responding due to long running script '...what the blue blazes does that mean ????????? what script??
Maybe they are referring to the WBU v KP saga. :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

long running script

Post by WBU ALUM » July 7, 2013, 3:13 pm

maaka wrote:' udon map is not responding due to long running script '...what the blue blazes does that mean ????????? what script??
There is a script, usually has something to do with java, running on the page you're accessing, and it's preventing the page from loading quickly. It's part of whatever code was used to create the page.

udonmarc
Admin

long running script

Post by udonmarc » July 7, 2013, 3:49 pm

I have the same problem with NBCNews.com. As far as I've been able to determine (based on internet research), it has something to do with the settings in your computer, but I don't understand the details.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

long running script

Post by merchant seaman » July 7, 2013, 4:08 pm

I liked Trubrits explanation the best
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

long running script

Post by BobHelm » July 7, 2013, 4:12 pm

You could be right as well MS.. :D

I often get error messages when I move to a new version of FireFox.
Usually the problem goes away quite swiftly.
If you are using an oldish version of Internet Explorer though, apparently doing this will solve it..
1. Start Internet Explorer.

2. Click Tools, Internet Options.

3. Click the Advanced tab, then scroll down to the Browsing section.

4. Check the boxes next to Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer) and Disable script debugging (Other).

5. Clear the checkbox next to Display a notification about every script error.

6. Click OK, then reboot. Those startup script errors should pester you no more.
Fuller details for newer Explorer versions...
http://www.webbie.org.uk/scriptingErrors.htm

Stantheman
udonmap.com

long running script

Post by Stantheman » July 8, 2013, 2:39 am

I am also getting error message with IE9 and have both debugging boxes checked so I think it must be something else, maybe one of the adds trying to load. To get away from the wait once I am at Udonmap I double click the X on the far right of address bar

maaka
udonmap.com

long running script

Post by maaka » July 8, 2013, 3:00 am

yes copy that..tried what has been said so far, ticked the two boxes, and unticked the other one Bob, yet still get the long running script message, but only when come to UM..

udonmarc
Admin

long running script

Post by udonmarc » July 8, 2013, 12:24 pm

I have removed several posts which have nothing to do with the topic at hand (from which I suffer, as well). Please, let's use this thread to try to solve this problem. Thanks!!!

udonmarc
Admin

long running script

Post by udonmarc » July 8, 2013, 12:27 pm

I, too, have tried checking/unchecknig the suggested boxes with no improvement. In case it aids anyone here in diagnosis, I only have this problem with the first window when I first open up MSIE. Once it is open, the problem does not recur when I open up new tabs in IE. If I completely close IE, then I have the problem again next time I open it.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

long running script

Post by BobHelm » July 8, 2013, 12:34 pm

Has anyone with this problem tried opening the same Web page with FireFox or Chrome??

I know that Chrome is not everyone's cup of tea because of the way Google maybe record your browsing, however I do understand that it is a great deal better with scripts than most..

These are the choices that the EU think you have for Browsers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrowserChoice.eu

papaguido
udonmap.com

long running script

Post by papaguido » July 8, 2013, 1:15 pm

BobHelm wrote:Has anyone with this problem tried opening the same Web page with FireFox or Chrome??

I know that Chrome is not everyone's cup of tea because of the way Google maybe record your browsing, however I do understand that it is a great deal better with scripts than most..

These are the choices that the EU think you have for Browsers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrowserChoice.eu
I'm using FF 22.0, no problems.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

long running script

Post by BobHelm » July 8, 2013, 1:21 pm

papaguido wrote:I'm using FF 22.0, no problems.
As am I Papa, again without issues.
I did have a few issues with FF 21 when I first installed it, not necessarily on this site, just in general with unresponsive scripts.
22.0 went well from day 1 though...

Internet Explorer is now on version 10.0 I believe, but you can't use it on Windows XP I believe... :(

redwolf
udonmap.com

long running script

Post by redwolf » July 8, 2013, 2:15 pm

Here's some info from: http://help.npr.org/npr/consumer/kbdetail.asp?kbid=501
Why am I receiving a "long running script" error message?

"Long running script" error messages are specific to Internet Explorer. These messages are generally intended for developers who are testing and building a website You should be able to get rid of them by disabling certain browser settings:

Open Internet Explorer
Click the 'Tools' menu, and then select 'Internet Options'
Click the 'Advanced' tab, select the 'Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)' and 'Disable script debugging (Other)' check boxes
Clear the 'Display a notification about every script error' check box, and then click OK

You may also avoid these error messages by using an alternate browser.
As to the cause of the error within any particular site, for anyone interested in debugging or just seeing how various sites run, Firebug is a useful tool: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/firebug/

RW
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

maaka
udonmap.com

long running script

Post by maaka » July 8, 2013, 2:41 pm

as I say, it only happens when I come to Udon map, every other webpage works fine, so wasnt sure if it was me, or UM.
thanks anyway for all the comments seeming I am the OP..

redwolf
udonmap.com

long running script

Post by redwolf » July 8, 2013, 4:02 pm

yep, no worries maaka.

for fun I did a run on the page with Firebug using it's error debugging console and found the following errors.

Firebug doesn't catch IE-related (probably because IE is one big giant set of coding errors wrapped into a neat package called a browser LOL) errors but the 2 attached would likely help any coder straighten things out.

some are from google ads. others are from line 32 of a javascript file named overlay.js.
Selection_127.png
Selection_128.png
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

maaka
udonmap.com

long running script

Post by maaka » July 9, 2013, 2:44 am

Jasus Red, my dear demented mother makes more sense to me, than that wonderful computer jargon you just sprung on me...hahahahaha..coders, consoles and browers..oyiiiiiiiiiiii...

Stantheman
udonmap.com

long running script

Post by Stantheman » July 9, 2013, 6:40 am

Do not know if this will help others but I am no longer getting long running script notice. I did the following (using IE9).
In IE click on tools, scroll down to manage add-ons then under Toolbars and Extensions I enabled the 2 Java plug-ins, then closed IE and started it again.

downunder
udonmap.com

long running script

Post by downunder » July 9, 2013, 8:29 am

Have the same problem. What I do is to go back to home page i click on the back arrow at the top of the left hand side instead of clicking on home page to go back. With so many here with the same problem, surely the problem lies with UM. They should fix this inconvience to us all

udonmarc
Admin

long running script

Post by udonmarc » July 9, 2013, 9:52 am

Stantheman wrote:Do not know if this will help others but I am no longer getting long running script notice. I did the following (using IE9).
In IE click on tools, scroll down to manage add-ons then under Toolbars and Extensions I enabled the 2 Java plug-ins, then closed IE and started it again.
Interesting. I have a desktop and two laptops. On the desktop, I don't have Java plugins in the list. On the large Vaio, the Java plugins were already enabled but I am still experiencing the problem. On the Toshiba netbook, enabling the Java plugins solved the problem. Go figure.

For me, the problem continues to exist only when I first open IE. I have my home page set to MSNBC.com. I tried some others for home pages (e.g., Google) but that doesn't change anything either. I experience the problem when I first open IE, not on new tabs or subsequent website loading.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”