New International School Coming to Udon?

General Udon Thani topics only!
rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » July 17, 2013, 10:05 am

Today a credible Thai aquaintance told me a new international school will soon be built in Udon on land already acquired, somewhere on the highway going out of town toward Khon Kaen, apparently associated with an international school in Saraburi.

Once home I googled Saraburi international school, and a few came up, including below, so I have no idea if this is the one:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/447 ... ampus.html

Looking forward to more updates and better facts on this topic.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 17, 2013, 10:17 am

I'll keep an eye out on the city-planning gossip column at skyscrapercity. Haven't seen anything on the subject yet.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 12, 2013, 11:14 pm

and indeed Skyscraper city as posted by Parrot showed this further link to the new Udon International School: http://www.pr.com/press-release/525669
Dave

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » November 13, 2013, 6:29 am

Sounds interesting, sure hope they beef up the info on their website soon:

www.udoninternationalschool.com

This week I visited Panyaden in Chiang Mai, the website does not do it justice, such a nice facility and concept, all the children - and parents - seemed so happy and stress free!

http://www.panyaden.ac.th/

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 13, 2013, 7:58 am

Twas only a matter of time until an International school broke ground here ,,, huge development brings new people new businesses and families with kids that need education ... will be interesting to follow the progress , construction and opening . Being built on the KK highway a few kms out past the ring road junction .
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » November 13, 2013, 8:58 am

We have had a major emphasis on developing this approach over the last couple of years. Inquiry based learning from our current gurus:
PDF]
Jeni Wilson and Kath Murdoch February 3, 2004 What is Inquiry ...
resourcebank.sitc.co.uk/Resources/.../NoPr_T006inquiryLearning.pdf‎

Off the planet compared to anything you will get at the Thai schools and seen as the ideal gateway to The International Baccalaureate courses.
Watch Me!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 13, 2013, 11:41 am

Have been in contact with the school and they have been very quick to respond with answers to my own queries.
If you have little ones up to 7 register your interest. Older will be later.

He hopes to have the website updated with information in the new year around Feb.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 26, 2013, 10:27 pm

Latest update for UDIS......getting closer to becoming a real deal.
Part of email below.

We would like to announce our Groundbreaking ceremony on Thursday November 28 from 8:30am which is the first public event for Udon Thani International School (UDIS). This will be a small Thai ceremony to celebrate the installation of the first pile for our new kindergarten building and should be finished before 11:30am. You are most welcome to join us in celebrating this milestone.
We will be opening for registration for UDIS from late January onwards when we open an office at the school and we have further public events planned for 2014.
The address details are as follows and a map has also been attached to this email. If you have any questions, please let me know.
บ้านเลขที่ 222/2 หมู่ 2.
ต.กุดสระ.
อ.เมือง.
จ.อุดรธานี 41000
222/2 Moo. 2 Mittrapab Road
Tumbonkudsra
Aumpearmuang
Udon Thani 41000
GEO: 17.495363, 102.797095

nel123
udonmap.com

Post by nel123 » November 27, 2013, 6:42 am

Don't suppose anyone knows of costs yet?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 27, 2013, 10:25 am

"บ้านเลขที่ 222/2 หมู่ 2.
ต.กุดสระ.
อ.เมือง.
จ.อุดรธานี 41000
222/2 Moo. 2 Mittrapab Road"

กุดสระ is just off the Udon-Nongkai Hwy....a few km outside the city.

chrisoary
udonmap.com

Post by chrisoary » November 27, 2013, 11:38 am

Well this new school certainly gives me something to think about.

Our plan was to move to Chiang mai and send the kids Lanna international school. But this gives us another option.

However Udon International is and will be somethingof an unknown quantity for some time yet.

As my eldest will be starting reception next year i think a move to chiang mai will be more likley. Shame would have been alot easier to stay in this part of the country, however i wont take the risk with my kids education.

Good luck to all involved in the new school, I am very interested to see how things develop.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 27, 2013, 2:52 pm

parrot wrote:"บ้านเลขที่ 222/2 หมู่ 2.
ต.กุดสระ.
อ.เมือง.
จ.อุดรธานี 41000
222/2 Moo. 2 Mittrapab Road"

กุดสระ is just off the Udon-Nongkai Hwy....a few km outside the city.

Thanks Parrot, I couldn't attach the map from the email i got. Going to Nongkai pass over the rail line and then over the Luang river.

There is a facebok page for those who are into social media. Just type in "udon thani international school". Have some artist impression photo's of what the building will look like.
Idf interested the guys name is Lindsay Stuart UDIS project manager, he will most likely be at the groundbreaking for further news.

amazonboy

Post by amazonboy » November 27, 2013, 3:40 pm

The location is certainly good for people who are working in Laos. There are international school in Laos
but the price is high, most tuition are paid by organizations, governments, companies, and the life in Vientiane
is not as convenient as in Udon Thani. So if this new school can provide really genuine international education
at a affordable price, I believe many foreign kids and rich local Lao kids may make a move across the border.

But have to be careful when they proclaim international school, very likely just like many international schools
in Thailand, they are basically Thai schools run by Thai personnel and almost all kids communicate in Thai on campus, although the classes are in English, most kids' English are still yes no to the teachers level even in elementary school.

I put my kids in a few international schools in Thailand, while I commute to work in Laos, but had to pull them
out because their English was not progressing, but actually regressing, because Thai language was too dominant
in many of these schools. So we ended up putting the kids in Penang, and I commute weekly to work in Laos. Actually I know many families put their kids in Singapore, Penang, KL, Bangkok ect, and commute to work in Laos.

Hope this new school can truly offer international curriculum with good international staff and international atmosphere, so many of Lao expats can have a new alternative across the border. so Lao expats like us have another alternative, and see our kids more often.

nel123
udonmap.com

Post by nel123 » November 27, 2013, 5:24 pm

I got an email back from Lindsay this morning... Fees for pre school will start at approx 200,000 baht rising to 290,000 baht. You can register from January.

udonviking
udonmap.com

Post by udonviking » November 27, 2013, 5:55 pm

nel123 wrote:I got an email back from Lindsay this morning... Fees for pre school will start at approx 200,000 baht rising to 290,000 baht. You can register from January.
Do you know if this prices you got is for one year or what?

nel123
udonmap.com

Post by nel123 » November 27, 2013, 7:29 pm

Yep

udonviking
udonmap.com

Post by udonviking » November 27, 2013, 7:48 pm

nel123 wrote:Yep
Really, so this school is only for the very privileged kids of Udon. Not many families that can afford a fee of 25k a month....

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 27, 2013, 8:12 pm

Well at that price, they7 are either living in cloud cuckoo land or they are really not on this planet. That is approximately nearly 900 per day for nine months taking into account about 3 months holiday in a year, that will include Saturday and Sunday, if you removed those it would be approx 1200.00 per School day, now that is expensive. If you take into account the money received from the Dept of Education, it is scandalous.

Considering that they are an unknown quantity , the soundbites are good but as yet untested up here in Udon Thani Province, I think they are assuming too much, not many people I know would pay that amount per month . If they could they send their children to either HK or Singapore some even send to Australia or America. Not a International School in Thailand that's for sure.

nel123
udonmap.com

Post by nel123 » November 27, 2013, 9:15 pm

I've been looking at various other "international" schools around the country. This new school is about the right price when compared to others. Is it an udon thani price? As much as I/we would want the best for our kids, I personally won't be going down this route unless my financials suddenly took a massive uturn! Perhaps people are living in cloud cuckoo land or maybe their seeing something I'm not.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 27, 2013, 9:35 pm

1 mil baht per year International schools are numerous in Bkk and even Pattaya ... some are boarding some not , Regents on the out skirts of Patts to name just one ...

Whilst i agree with KP the numbers are daft ,,, i also think he is under estimating the wealth of some of the families based here and the rest of Thailand in turn the ambitions they hold for their children .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”