Thai Driving Licence

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Greg Ledder
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by Greg Ledder » August 3, 2013, 7:09 pm

Hello all!

Can anyone please give me some advice on how and where to obtain a Thai driving licence - and what is involved?

I have my full UK driving licence and an international driving permit but as I will be here long term it makes sense and is probably a requirement to obtain a Thai licence.

Many thanks in advance,

Greg. :D

douglas
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by douglas » August 4, 2013, 10:06 am

Hi,
Greg, I went to the Lic. place, about 19K down the HW2 to K.K. on the right hand side. I showed them my British D.L.. They give me a form for a Med. which had to be signed by a Doc. Got this done at the Bangkok Hospital near the railway station, Cost 100B. Went back to Lic. center and they issued me a Thai Lic. Dont take photos, they do them there and are printed onto Lic. Lic. lasts for 12 months, then your next Lic for 5 years.

Greg Ledder
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by Greg Ledder » August 4, 2013, 10:19 am

douglas wrote:Hi,
Greg, I went to the Lic. place, about 19K down the HW2 to K.K. on the right hand side. I showed them my British D.L.. They give me a form for a Med. which had to be signed by a Doc. Got this done at the Bangkok Hospital near the railway station, Cost 100B. Went back to Lic. center and they issued me a Thai Lic. Dont take photos, they do them there and are printed onto Lic. Lic. lasts for 12 months, then your next Lic for 5 years.
Hi Douglas,

Many thanks for your reply - sounds straightforward enough - did you have to make an appointment for the medical or just turn up and request one?
Also, just out of curiosity - what was the cost of the Thai licence?

Cheers,

Greg.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by papaguido » August 4, 2013, 10:34 am

Greg Ledder wrote:
Hi Douglas,

Many thanks for your reply - sounds straightforward enough - did you have to make an appointment for the medical or just turn up and request one?

Cheers,

Greg.
No need to go to the Land transportation office to pick up a medical form. Most clinics will do it for under 100bt. A clinic next door to Ngee Soon (next to the Bangkok Bank ATM machines) will it for 30bt, that was 2 yrs ago, so may have gone up. No appointment necessary, no medical check required, ID required-bring passport.

It's been a while since I got mine, but I think it's 650bt for each lic (motor bike/auto). I believe you'll also need a letter from immigration verifying your address here and two copies of each document if going for both lic. Sorry can't be of more help, may be someone else can clear up for you. But the medical can be done at most clinics, hospitals charge more.

Greg Ledder
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by Greg Ledder » August 4, 2013, 11:00 am

papaguido wrote:
Greg Ledder wrote:
Hi Douglas,

Cheers,

Greg.
No need to go to the Land transportation office to pick up a medical form. Most clinics will do it for under 100bt. A clinic next door to Ngee Soon (next to the Bangkok Bank ATM machines) will it for 30bt, that was 2 yrs ago, so may have gone up. No appointment necessary, no medical check required, ID required-bring passport.

It's been a while since I got mine, but I think it's 650bt for each lic (motor bike/auto). I believe you'll also need a letter from immigration verifying your address here and two copies of each document if going for both lic. Sorry can't be of more help, may be someone else can clear up for you. But the medical can be done at most clinics, hospitals charge more.

Thanks for your advice papaguido - much appreciated! :D

nkstan
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by nkstan » August 4, 2013, 12:19 pm

I have always had to go to Immigration to get a letter of residence to give to the Land Transport office with the application.

KB_Texas

Thai Driving Licence

Post by KB_Texas » August 4, 2013, 12:33 pm

nkstan wrote:I have always had to go to Immigration to get a letter of residence to give to the Land Transport office with the application.
Me too, and you need two of everything if you are doing both car and motorcycle. IIRC, they were 300 baht each+photos (100 baht) if you do not take your own. Got the medical checks for 50 baht each at a small clinic on the way to the DL place.

KB

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by rickfarang » August 4, 2013, 1:53 pm

Dogulas, Did they ask for proof of address, such as a letter from the Immigration office (as Stan used) or a yellow housebook as others used? When was your last visit to the Land Transportation Office?

rjj04
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by rjj04 » August 4, 2013, 2:03 pm

Let me get this straight, none of the rest of you had to actually take the written and driving tests? I had a valid licence from the US, yet they made me do the whole shabang. Sat and watched a video in Thai, sat and listened to a BIB talk, took the written test and somehow passed, and the driving test as well. What a waste of time. The driving test consisted of backing up between some poles, parking next to a curb, parallel parking, and using turn signals. Incredibly some people actually failed the test. They don't even take you onto a real road and see if you actually know how to drive safely... but I sure can back up a car, that must make me an excellent driver. The driving test examiner actually told me I was the top testee... if he knew my driving record in the US he would probably want to retract that statement :roll:

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by newtovillagelife » August 4, 2013, 7:32 pm

Someone got a giggle at your expense!!!! I have never heard of anyone having to take the actual test, why would you unless the whole thing can be done in English.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by rjj04 » August 4, 2013, 8:27 pm

I'm out in the boonies, where they don't see all that many foreigners.

Well, I did learn a bit about why people drive as they do here. I went into the test room after all the Thai people. They gave me a computerized test, in English - dispite most of the literature and all of the video being in Thai - yet I finished the test before all but one of the Thai's. The test had questions that referred to pictures that did not exist... look to the picture at the right, what should driver C do... but, no picture at the right. A few similar to that, impossible to answer properly, and yet I still passed. Amazing Thailand :lol:

KB_Texas

Thai Driving Licence

Post by KB_Texas » August 4, 2013, 11:33 pm

I had to take the written test when I got the first 1-year license. However, I went through Smart Drive, due to the ability to get it all done in one place, with someone who knew what was required, and who drove you wherever you needed to go. I did not need to do a test for the 5-year renewal.

Not for everyone, but if it fits your needs, it is a very simple way to get it all done.
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/post289961.html

Also, if you Search for Smart Drive on UM, you will get a few other hits on requirements for Thai dl's.

KB

richardlg
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by richardlg » August 5, 2013, 9:47 am

I got my Thai Licence a little over two years ago in Nong Bua Lamphu. Took along a Medical Cert 50 bht, Letter from Immigration 300 baht, copy of passport and International Drivers Licence.
Three other westerners applied at same time with their Foreign Drivers Licences. Land Transport Office told them there had been a recent change and to obtain a Thai Licence without completing the test they now only accepted International Drivers Licence. The three westerners all had to do the full written and practical test. Can't have been to hard because they all passed even though it was in Thai.
I only had to do the test to show I wasn't colour blind and another to show I could judge required stopping distances.

My GF did her motor bike licence here in Udon this week. It now takes two days, one full day for theory and a part day for practical. No study before hand but they did tell her some of the questions and answers that would be on the test paper.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by rjj04 » August 5, 2013, 10:50 am

Hmmm, my IDD had just ran out a few weeks before. They did tell me that if I gone in when it was valid I would not need to take the tests. It is strange, since the IDD is only issued if you have a valid drivers license back home, and it is only valid for what, three months? Ah bureaucracy.

So, moral to the story, if want the 1yr TDL, and you don't want to take the test, you might want to get the IDD before coming to Thailand, if you have the opportunity?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by jackspratt » August 5, 2013, 11:08 am

I suspect that a piece of purple paper, with a drawing of an individual on both sides, is sufficient "license" to obtain the Thai variety. :-"

rjj04
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by rjj04 » August 5, 2013, 11:41 am

It might be worth it. The frustration involved when I was watching the video and listening to the BIB speak, knowing full well that I was missing much of the information, and it no doubt would be on the test. :mad: I complained to my TGF that it was totally unfair, to of course be ignored. Little did I know my written test score would be the same as her's :D

I don't think anybody need worry about the test, as it is very simple, and apparently a very low score is "acceptable" to pass. Just the wasted time. I guess you could find a spot in the back of the room and have a nap for a few hours.

douglas
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by douglas » August 5, 2013, 3:12 pm

Hi,
I did not put the cost of getting the lic. as this was a few years ago. And sorry if I missed out on the letter from Imm, my mistake. I went to the driving center to get my lic because at that time, some years ago, it was the only place to go. I inquired at the time how long could I use my British D.L. in Thailand. I was informed, 12 months sir, and if you do not leave Thailand in that time you must obtain a Thai D.L.. If you leave LOS, even just crossing the Friendship bridge into LAO on your return you can use it legally for another 12 months. This was from the Bossman at the lic. place.
Even though I leave LOS every year, I got a Thai one so when I go back home every year I use my Thai. D.L. which you can do legally for 6 months in U.K.. I still use my British D.L. when in LOS. When I first came here I was advised, by people who did not know, to get a I.D.L.. It was 15GBPs wasted, this is what I paid for a 12 months I.D.L. in my country at that time.
Anything like this I would advise people to go to the Lic. center and ask what THEY want. Things can change in LOS every month.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Upper age limit .

Post by trubrit » September 16, 2013, 12:11 pm

I have just noticed my current five year Thai license expires on my 80th birthday next year . I have tried without success both on line and at the "purple palace' to find out if there is a maximum age or any other restrictions or requirements for renewing it .From the staff at the PP I get a mixture of amusement and expressions of incredibility that I am firstly that age and secondly I should still be driving , but no straight answers.The leaflets show a minimum age but not a maximum.My UK license has no expiry date .I fully realise my responsibilities regarding my health and eye sight etc and have both tested reguarly, so no "smart arse' replies please.Does anyone have any constructive info?
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by FrazeeDK » September 16, 2013, 3:51 pm

well, there's laws and there's laws.. What the license boss may tell you may not carry any weight with the Thai Highway Patrol.. A few years ago they had a push to get folks who didn't have an IDL... So, it changes depending upon how the folks in charge (provincial police, highway patrol, license bureau, decide to enforce them)..
Dave

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence

Post by kubotatim » September 17, 2013, 7:41 am

90 days is the maximum time for a non thai licence, longer than that and you are not insured, trubrit all uk licences have an expiry date look closely at the plastic part, and the photo has to be updated at regular intervals.

Return to “Travel & Transport”