ATM Cards -Siam Commercial

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
Mobaan
udonmap.com

Post by Mobaan » August 27, 2013, 9:02 pm

Had my SCB ATM card stolen at Berlin airport.
Filed police report ect -about 45 minutes go past -try to call the "24 hour Service line " (are you kidding -in Thailand it is night time or time for Kin Kao --that service line is a joke . Anyhow , after listening for 10 minutes to all kind of prompts and attempts to sell insurance etc ,, I had to quit and board the plane . In Doha /Qatar ,6 hours later the same story . Finally upon arrrival at BKK I cam call and cancell my ATM . Meanwhile a needy citizen in Germany was able to get my daily limit TWICE .
Now ,today , calling the joke of a service line they tell me to go to the bank in Udon ,which is NOT right around the corner for me . There the lady tells me that they can NOT refund the lost funds , even thou I can prove (airline ticket , passport entry stamps etc ),that I was not physically able to withdraw funds at Berlin trainstation.
Needless to say I cancelled everything I had with that bank right on the spot and left them with a pile of cut up cards .

Is that in Thailand indeed the case that banks are not insured (or insure their customers ) against such misuse .
Did anybody else have an experience like that .? I dont want to give in that easy ,since I am out of a serious amount of cash.

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Post by gudtymchuk » August 28, 2013, 5:35 am

Just Curious, how did the thief get your pin number for the two ATM transactions?
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Mobaan
udonmap.com

Post by Mobaan » August 28, 2013, 8:50 am

Thats a good question . Appearently ,even acc. to the Berlin police today anyone with a good Handy can access ATM w/o PIN code .
No more ATM cards for that is .

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » August 28, 2013, 9:46 am

Maybe you can report the theft to the German police (maybe by internet reporting)? It might be useful, and maybe they can catch the thief. ATM machines have camera's.

Couldn't you block your card through internet?

Always look after your things at airports and other busy places where there are tourists, pickpockets/thieves are everywhere.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » August 28, 2013, 9:55 am

I had my master card stolen few years ago.
Checked on line and got a print out of all transactions.
You dont need a pin number for goods bought.
In Thailand, nobody compares signature when use your credit card.
Anyway, thief caught, and all my money back(50,000 baht)
(Only because I did not press charges.)
Then the idiot went on and did it again.....Same story!

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » August 28, 2013, 11:40 am

Now that the horses have left the barn, the only real protection short of not having an ATM card is to never put into and ATM account than you can afford to loose, and transfer in new funds as needed.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » August 28, 2013, 11:54 am

rickfarang wrote:Now that the horses have left the barn, the only real protection short of not having an ATM card is to never put into and ATM account than you can afford to loose, and transfer in new funds as needed.
Thats no problem..... end of month,Money in!..... money out!.
The few remaining baht they can nick!

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”