computer advice

General Udon Thani topics only!
caducus
udonmap.com

computer advice

Post by caducus » September 10, 2013, 2:09 pm

I live and work in Bangkok, but hope to continue working and divide my time between Bangkok and Udorn Thani in the new year. At present I split my working time between home and office. At home I use an Acer laptop and in the office I use a company Hewlett Packard desktop. I AM BY NO MEANS A COMPUTER EXPERT. If I have any problem with my computer I take it in to our IT people and borrow an HP laptop. In the past three years I have had to take my laptop to the Acer service centre only once. When I move up to Udorn I will buy a new laptop - the best and most up-to-date that I can afford, but I will no longer be able to rely on the service of our company IT people in Bangkok. Can anybody recommend a brand that has a good service centre in Udorn, or warn me of any service centres that do not seem to know what they are doing.
The reason I ask is that, impressed with our company hardware, I bought an HP printer, only to discover that their 'service' to the ordinary home-user is almost/worse than non-existent.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

computer advice

Post by pf-flyer » September 11, 2013, 8:01 am

If you are running applications that are specific for your work I suggest that you have your IT people at Bangkok recommend and set up a laptop for you to bring to Udon. A service center in Udorn may not be able to take of application issues that are specific to your work. If your Udon internet connection has sufficient bandwidth. The IT people Bangkok should able to take care of your PC application issues via remote desktop. Hardware issues could be taken care of in Udorn if you find a competent service center.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

jonny_w
udonmap.com

computer advice

Post by jonny_w » September 11, 2013, 9:35 am

what you should do is have your IT people clone 2 hard drives for you of what you have going on now. A 2.5 hard drive is easy to install into a computer or laptop and you will have your familiar computer in front of you. All that needs to be done is to install the drivers of the laptop or computer.

I have my system backed up and cloned onto several different hard drives, any computer I turn on is the same.
Ive done this myself, and have been doing this for years.

the most common thing in Udon is for a shop to wipe out your computer and install their own fake copy of windows and add all sorts of software and games at random

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

computer advice

Post by pf-flyer » September 12, 2013, 11:14 am

If you have a properly licensed copy of the operating system. You can download PE Builder (Free Software ) and build and burn a bootable CD that you can boot from if your PC crashes and give you the dreaded " Blue Screen ". I have used it over the years to save a PC that would just "Blue Sceen ". You can check it out at URL: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

caducus
udonmap.com

computer advice

Post by caducus » September 15, 2013, 5:35 pm

Thank you all for your useful replies. To summarize, it would appear that I should be able to find someone in Udorn to carry out any computer maintenance and repair without too much difficulty, The problem is that I could well lose some or all of my files and programs in the process, so I will need to back up everything before I hand my computer over to anybody.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

computer advice

Post by pf-flyer » September 16, 2013, 7:35 am

[quote="caducus"]Thank you all for your useful replies. To summarize, it would appear that I should be able to find someone in Udorn to carry out any computer maintenance and repair without too much difficulty, The problem is that I could well lose some or all of my files and programs in the process, so I will need to back up everything before I hand my computer over to anybody.[/quote]
Yes.... Have a backup and do periodic backups. The question is not " just in case if something fails ". Its only a mater of time when something fails or goes haywire..

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”