Pattaya Exodus

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Prenders88
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by Prenders88 » October 5, 2013, 7:28 am

Over the past few weeks I have been a lot more meeting guys who have all left Pattaya, and have moved to Udon Thani.
I know the Russians have taken over, and the sea is full of floating turds. The Russian influx seems to be the main moan.
Anyone here lived there, and know of any other reasons?

Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

pompui
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by pompui » October 5, 2013, 7:36 am

Thought Patters was now called Little Mumbai so not just the Ruskies upsetting the applecart 8)

Have met also some farang jumping ship from Phuket to live here,never ending supply of farang coming to town not interested in settling in Khon Kaen or Korat :-k

Maybe new bars going to spring up in Udonsville :-k :yikes:

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by Khun Paul » October 5, 2013, 7:40 am

As long as they leave behind the mentality of many pattaya foreign locals Pattaya and embrace the laid back attitude of Udon I do not mind, however they come here with the same attitude it will ruin Udon. Too often one hears remarks why can't this be like Pattay/Phuket, well it isn't don't like it go back from whence you came .

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by Sakhonnick » October 5, 2013, 8:14 am

Im one, 12years i lived in Pattaya and now have lived in Sakhon for the past 3 years, why i wasted my time and money in that dump is behond me, lost on sale of houses and many other things, the people both thai and expats i met well lets say i met some bad eggs, and yes pay back will come in my time and place (hope the ----- is reading) i do still have a condo there but rent it out thats the only thing i go back for, Many years ago id be on walking street everynight 5,000-10,000 a night blown down that street, fun at the time but now a lot smarter well try to be. Life up north is much better for me, i wish when my dear ex wife who recently died took me to Udon back in 2000 i wish i stayed then but cant dwell on the past, i like Sakon and i enjoy my trips to udon when i can :-)

Zidane
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by Zidane » October 5, 2013, 9:05 am

The exodus of farangs from Pattaya causes chaos at Suvarnabhumi airport as thousands queue for the next available flight to Udon Thani........ ;)
Farangs from Pattaya queuing for the next flight to Udon Thani.jpg
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by Aardvark » October 5, 2013, 9:37 am

Oh well, I always liked Nongkai anyway ...

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by BigBubba » October 5, 2013, 9:58 am

Don't relax just yet. The last several trips I've made to Makro, in Udon, have noticed groups of Russians in there. Men and women. One group had a flat bed cart loaded up with supplies that looked like necessary to open a business.
Every day I wake up is a good day.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Pattaya Exodus

Post by pienmash » October 5, 2013, 10:05 am

More the merrier come guys its all good news for udon and the businesses that operate here IMO ....

Ref hooligans or fruitcakes arriving from Patts ,,, im sure the Udon BIB are quite capable in shifting thru the crap and dealing with it .

mash

Macca
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by Macca » October 5, 2013, 11:17 am

When the Tsunami hit and places like Phi Phi were practically destroyed many saw it as a disaster whilst others as an opportunity.
Likewise if the Russians decide to descend on Udon Thani.

Been to Pattaya a few times over the last 2 years and heard many moans about the Russians but to be honest I haven't seen the problem. You don't see them in the bars or restaurants they tend to survive of 7/11 for booze and eat at home and who needs a bar girl when you have a Russian girl.
The Thais don't like them cause they don't spend money, but not sure why other expats have an issue.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by merchant seaman » October 5, 2013, 2:10 pm

Back in the Viet Nam War era almost all farangs in and around Udon were American servicemen or working for the U.S. Based on that only American farangs should be allowed to live in Udon.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by BobHelm » October 5, 2013, 2:44 pm

No, no... :D
The word Falang comes from the a mispronunciation/corruption of the word French/France - who were deep into Indo-China first out of Europe.

Hence only French are allowed in Udon... :D

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Pattaya Exodus

Post by pienmash » October 5, 2013, 3:01 pm

merchant seaman wrote:Back in the Viet Nam War era almost all farangs in and around Udon were American servicemen or working for the U.S. Based on that only American farangs should be allowed to live in Udon.
A fair comment MS ....... alas it could lead to a government shutdown !!!!!!!

I was once told the word farang ruffly translates as foreigner but never had it confirmed by any one in the know .

Shado
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by Shado » October 5, 2013, 3:26 pm

France or French = ฝรั่งเศส = farang saeht. (I think)

davecryan
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by davecryan » October 5, 2013, 4:06 pm

Frenchmen call themselves " Francais "....almost similar to the above. pronounced " Ferrawnsay " change the " r " for " l "....and there you go !

French language course at College for 5 years and about 8 holidays in France.........can still parlez francais un peu.

joepai
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by joepai » October 5, 2013, 4:18 pm

Getting too expensive in Pattaya. Once they have gotten over the bars and their attractions (and spent all their money) they go north to places like Udon.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

747man
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by 747man » October 5, 2013, 5:38 pm

Aardvark wrote:Oh well, I always liked Nongkai anyway ...
So D'ya wanna buy my house,Then Mark.... ;) ;)

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by Aardvark » October 6, 2013, 4:55 am

I couldn't even afford the Wall Alan :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by Zidane » October 6, 2013, 8:24 am

747man wrote:
Aardvark wrote:Oh well, I always liked Nongkai anyway ...
So D'ya wanna buy my house,Then Mark.... ;) ;)
Are you moving to Cambodia,Alan ?? :-s
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

sgt
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by sgt » October 7, 2013, 10:00 am

Just a comment on expenses in Pattaya vs here. I spent as much on an afternoon/night out here as in Pattaya. But I don't hang out in Walking Street, except one evening to say hello to a few old friends, mostly bar owners. A lot depends on what one does, drinks bought and buys (rents).

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Pattaya Exodus

Post by marjamlew » October 7, 2013, 2:12 pm

sgt wrote:Just a comment on expenses in Pattaya vs here. I spent as much on an afternoon/night out here as in Pattaya. But I don't hang out in Walking Street, except one evening to say hello to a few old friends, mostly bar owners. A lot depends on what one does, drinks bought and buys (rents).
Have to agree with the sgt. I stick to a few regular bars on second road opposite soi 7 and in the new plaza on second road and find them cheaper than nutty park and day and night. Only see russians down the beach and the indians just walk past the bars as they don't seem to be piss heads. A night out for me in patts or udon cost about the same.
The exodus to udon probably has more to do with getting away from a place designed for tourists to a place made by residents.
Since I lived in udon I have always planned to come back when retirement beckons but after my recent trip with the numbers at UD Town, the traffic chaos, the cost of buying somewhere to live and the fact that many of my old mates have moved on Nong Khai might be a better option for peace and quiet.
Watch Me!!

Return to “Open Forum”