Drug Testing at work

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Barney
udonmap.com

Drug Testing at work

Post by Barney » November 26, 2013, 9:56 am

Do you or would you impliment a drug policy and test your employees? We have.

I have been discussing the yaba problem with my TG for some time especially the literally 100's of thousands of tablets reported to be coming over the border in the north of Thailand . To me the amount is well in excess of what I would have thought.
We obtained the necessary official drug test kits and have for the past month privately and randomly tested the employees with surprising results. All positive results are yaba . My girl and I both want a drug free environement at work and so far the workers have not openly complained but some have left for greener pastures. We are not on a crusade but feel testing and educating younger ones is essential.

WhoUrDaddy
udonmap.com

Drug Testing at work

Post by WhoUrDaddy » November 26, 2013, 10:56 am

All positive results are yaba.............curious, how many workers, and how many tested positive?

fatbob
udonmap.com

Drug Testing at work

Post by fatbob » November 26, 2013, 11:01 am

We have run two tests over six months, first time we had three out of eighty five test positive, we didn't sack anyone but gave them one chance, we now randomly test, last time all were ok.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Drug Testing at work

Post by stattointhailand » November 26, 2013, 11:09 am

You are to be congratulated for taking a stand against drug abuse, but please, keep an eye on your back Barney...... you are not in farangland now, and if someone is "sacked" for drug abuse, you know you will be dealing with drug abusing friends/family as well.

Barney
udonmap.com

Drug Testing at work

Post by Barney » November 26, 2013, 1:42 pm

stattointhailand wrote:You are to be congratulated for taking a stand against drug abuse, but please, keep an eye on your back Barney...... you are not in farangland now, and if someone is "sacked" for drug abuse, you know you will be dealing with drug abusing friends/family as well.
Thanks for the advice Statts, I have thought of that safety aspect and we are only a small shop in an industry that does attract "them" types. It is an ongoing effort to make things secure. Young male customers are the more difficult. To answer a couple of questions ,and i don't want to make this a thread about her shop or situation, is that there are a small number of female workers and 3 out of 8 were positive. I do not personally conduct the tests that is by my GF. As it has just been introduced and they can refuse the test first time but not the 2nd. This allows time for them to grasp what is happening and make adjustments. None have refused. No one gets the sack but is stood down and asked to sort it out. They can stay the night but not on the payroll, It is up to them for the next step. 1 has left of their own valition.The other workers are ok with the policy. I was tested aswell and made all aware I passed to prove all was above board. Part of the education is providing time to have a think about the policy and if what they are doing outside socially is what they want. We all have a choice.

maaka
udonmap.com

Drug Testing at work

Post by maaka » November 26, 2013, 2:06 pm

did you have problems from your staff because of drugs, before you embarked on this quest?? or is it something that you have merely taken from western society, and transplanted into your business...is it more about teaching thais about the nasties of drug use, or about protecting you customers, if thats the word..??

Barney
udonmap.com

Drug Testing at work

Post by Barney » November 26, 2013, 3:48 pm

maaka wrote:did you have problems from your staff because of drugs, before you embarked on this quest?? or is it something that you have merely taken from western society, and transplanted into your business...is it more about teaching thais about the nasties of drug use, or about protecting you customers, if thats the word..??
Reasonable questions maaka.
No it was not merely taken from western ideals and transplanted.
My girl actually instigated the actual procurement and use of the test kits.I do have experience in implimenting and enforcing drug and alcohol policies. I have not taken this lightly, hence the time taken to talk to talk to staff, i want my small group to be educated and aware.
As i said my girl and i have had discussions about the amount shown on the news being bought into and distributed in thailand. I have a big picture mentality to this and what the implications can be. As also stated i am not on a crusade to exorcise the devil from people, that would be a never ending task. They can do what they want but there are ramifications for all if they use drugs and want to work for my GF.
My concerns for protection are for the 2 step daughters I have, both keeping them free as much as possible from contact from drugs and personal security for them (I'm sure something any father figure would do ).The fact that sooner or later drugs will be on the premises. Unsavoury characters will follow. Some of the staff live onsite, they are all negative, if the workers get in any trouble outside and are shown to be employed and residing the BIB will not show to much mercy if our place is searched.
Happy to answer questions but i only posted to gauge a response if others do or would do drug testing. I do ot need to be judged as i would not judge other as to it's merits. It is happening at our place and things have settled since it started , now having had 2 tests a month apart ( 1 positive 2nd test) and will continue privately and randomly and maybe not forever.

maaka
udonmap.com

Drug Testing at work

Post by maaka » November 27, 2013, 2:41 am

thanks for the reply Barney..
Not judging you mate, just trying to understand your situation.

Barney
udonmap.com

Drug Testing at work

Post by Barney » November 27, 2013, 2:42 pm

maaka wrote:thanks for the reply Barney..
Not judging you mate, just trying to understand your situation.

Didn't think you were maaka :D , I just tell it like I see it, ;)

maaka
udonmap.com

Drug Testing at work

Post by maaka » November 28, 2013, 1:39 pm

sweet mate..
I am going for a job interview on Monday in NZ as a forkhoist driver, and have to have a drug test..so its everywhere these days.

Barney
udonmap.com

Drug Testing at work

Post by Barney » November 28, 2013, 1:43 pm

Good luck with the forkhoist drivers job,

That type of work just like elevator operators has it's up's and down's. :lol: :lol:

Return to “Open Forum”