Police Road Block Nong Bua Lamphu.

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
richardlg
udonmap.com

Post by richardlg » November 29, 2013, 4:27 pm

Drove to the Land Transport Office in Nong Bua yesterday to transfer car blue book and drivers licence address to where I now live in Udon. No problems there but shortly after leaving was stopped at one of the biggest police road blocks I’ve seen up this way.
Counted 17 BiB on the duel lane road out the front of Thai Watsudu and for sure there would have been more.
Not many drivers got through unscathed and we had more than 20 waiting in the queue to pay.

Cost me 400 baht for modifying the Navara by installing PFFI driving lights on the front bumper.

Fortunately off to Aust for Xmas so will try to bring back some high performance headlight bulbs and ditch the driving lights.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 29, 2013, 4:36 pm

I was going to put driving lights on my new pickup ( very dark and isolated section of raod where i live ) but was warned against it btythe accessories shop owner even though you can sell them they are not legal.

I wonder why they are illegal?
Did the coppers tell you to remove the lights or let you keep them for their next lunch?

malc123
udonmap.com

Post by malc123 » November 29, 2013, 4:42 pm

What are PFFI driving light, are they the two strips of white lights on the front of cars ?

malc123

akwoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by akwoodworker » November 29, 2013, 4:47 pm

End of the month, second wives want their money

richardlg
udonmap.com

Post by richardlg » November 29, 2013, 4:59 pm

I bought the lights from VVP 4 x 4 in BKK couple of years ago, cost about 13k baht. What a waste.
I drive to Jomtien every couple of months to a condo and prefer to drive at night and take the short cut through the mountains to Kabin Buri. The Navara lights are nonsense, although, strangely, I had the same model D40 Navara in Aust and the lights were really good. That's why am hoping to bring back some good bulbs that will do the job.

I had been warned by police in Udon to take the lights off so it didn't come as a surprise when I was pinged. The Nong Bua police said they could be a danger to other drivers if I flashed them??? and yes the guy that took my money jokingly said was I going to get caught with them again.

Sorry about the PFFI. Thought it was the brand name but no, they are PIAA driving lights.

richardlg
udonmap.com

Post by richardlg » November 29, 2013, 5:01 pm

Yeah right. There were no discounts for Thais and I wasn't the only one to hand over 400 baht.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 30, 2013, 6:12 am

While I sympathise with those who have extra lights fitted to their vehicles , many do so illegally and they do blind other road users, however having said that i do wish the BIB would deal with all those damn motorbikes which seem to have problems with their back lights, they are bloody dangerous.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » November 30, 2013, 5:32 pm

Latest thing in Aus is the high voltage discharge lamps, a bit like metal hallide.

Brilliant light but the only ones who can see are the ones behind the lights.......blind everyone else.

Highly illegal but seems the attitude here is ok to use until one gets caught.

In the meantime, makes one wonder how many near misses and accidents are caused.

With respect to the headlights issue though, most instances a large increase in light output can be achieved by fitting good relays and some decent size cable direct from the battery. Voltage drop on existing systems is usually prevalent.
Remember to get a good earth return also (overlooked more then you know) as the current here is a 2 way street. :D

Tracechain
udonmap.com

Post by Tracechain » December 1, 2013, 5:37 am

Little off topic but what is legal regarding the sun screen tinting on inside of vehicles? Just bought wife a Toyota and the dealer installed an almost black sun screen. You cannot see anyone inside the vehicle. Not too bad looking out from inside but sure makes the already dark roads darker at night. I know in the USA this would bring the big Georgia HP down on you before you could whistle Dixie.
Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » December 1, 2013, 9:19 am

According to this bloke, zero tint on the windscreen.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busines ... 88456.html

faranginUTH
udonmap.com

Post by faranginUTH » December 1, 2013, 10:14 am

bluejets wrote:Latest thing in Aus is the high voltage discharge lamps, a bit like metal hallide.

Brilliant light but the only ones who can see are the ones behind the lights.......blind everyone else.

Highly illegal but seems the attitude here is ok to use until one gets caught.

In the meantime, makes one wonder how many near misses and accidents are caused.

With respect to the headlights issue though, most instances a large increase in light output can be achieved by fitting good relays and some decent size cable direct from the battery. Voltage drop on existing systems is usually prevalent.
Remember to get a good earth return also (overlooked more then you know) as the current here is a 2 way street. :D
HID light conversion kits can be bought at some of the motorbike accessory shops, some Udon motorbikes have them.

Thanks to the OP for the info about having fog lights and the fine involved.

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » December 1, 2013, 6:43 pm

Tracechain wrote:Little off topic but what is legal regarding the sun screen tinting on inside of vehicles? Just bought wife a Toyota and the dealer installed an almost black sun screen. You cannot see anyone inside the vehicle. Not too bad looking out from inside but sure makes the already dark roads darker at night. I know in the USA this would bring the big Georgia HP down on you before you could whistle Dixie.
The law says you must not cover the windscreen or front side windows. Same as in Europe. And here you can see police cars with thick film on the windscreen practically making them blind in case of darkness and rain. Go figure.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 1, 2013, 7:33 pm

JR wrote: The law says you must not cover the windscreen or front side windows.
Link?

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » December 1, 2013, 9:34 pm

I don¨t have the Traffic Law downloaded any more so you can do that yourself if you want the text.

Return to “Open Forum”