Card payments online how long to clear ???

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » December 11, 2013, 6:37 pm

Hi , i recently bought two things online and have recieved both items , one over 10 days ago and one a week ago , as yet both payments have'nt been deducted from my account , how long can a payment usually take to clear ????

With Christmas coming up and the likelyhood of a lot of spending i am concerned i get these payments taken when i cant afford it , if the money is gone it cant be spent but i dont really want to contact the bank as maybe this is just a mistake on thier part that ill get away with it , ie bank error in my favour :)

Any advice on what the legal rules are for this ?

How long can a payment be pending ?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 11, 2013, 6:45 pm

Really depends who it is through SJP.
When I was using PayPal on E-Bay it was instantaneous - or as near as. Buy it, pay through PP & 10 minutes later could see it go from my account.
At the other extreme Agoda didn't claim for my hotel room until after I had actually stayed in the Hotel - 40 days after I 'ordered' it.

Sadly banks rarely make mistakes that favour the customer & their terms & conditions mean that they can reclaim any mistake any time that they discover it!!

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » December 11, 2013, 6:59 pm

Thanks for the info it was a large retailer of electronics

I set up my direct debits to come out the day after my salary clears so all that stuff always gets paid mortgage, bills, etc

Its just hard to keep track of whats left when you still need to subtract payments not cleared, and it soon disappears at this time of year !

ive never been the best with my finances but have improved a lot from my teens & twenty's when i used to spend like crazy and never think of the consequences plus i was out on the booze every weekend !

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Post by Sakhonnick » December 11, 2013, 7:03 pm

Self discipline, if you know you have spent it don't try and spend it again, even if it's sitting in you bank account,

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 11, 2013, 7:11 pm

SJP17 wrote:Thanks for the info it was a large retailer of electronics
They are usually pretty efficient in claiming what is owed.
They could wait until they had a delivery confirmation from the carrier but that is almost instantaneous on delivery these days.
The aim in retail electronics is to collect payment from your customer before you have to pay the supplier so they are usually fairly hot :D

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » December 11, 2013, 8:07 pm

Sakhonnick wrote:Self discipline, if you know you have spent it don't try and spend it again, even if it's sitting in you bank account,

Thats good advice

Ill try my best :)

Hoping to get a start in the oil industry locally in the first of the year so should hopefully get better cash \:D/

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”