How to open a foreign bank account?

General Udon Thani topics only!
Arosolius
udonmap.com

Post by Arosolius » December 13, 2013, 7:56 pm

Does anybody know if it's possible to open a bank account in the UK or USA from here in Thailand? I need to get some money from a company in the USA that will only pay into a USA or European bank account. I've contacted a few banks online but none of them will do it for me unless I'm a resident of their country.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » December 13, 2013, 9:16 pm

Sorry to tell you but it is almost impossible to do in U.S. due to federal money laundering laws here. You must be resident or on a work/school visa. My stepson got one in U.S. on school visa, but even with that I can not transfer funds into his account, I must go to the bank and do an over the counter or ATM deposit.

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » December 14, 2013, 8:14 pm

Go online and look for 'UK Offshore Banks' . There are many (Lloyds, Barclays, Yorkshire, HSBC etc) and for most you can apply online. You will have to provide documented (ie by post) proof of your Thailand address and certified copy of your passport. Takes about three weeks to complete. :D

Arosolius
udonmap.com

Post by Arosolius » December 15, 2013, 6:53 am

Thanks Bonanza. I've already tried Barclays Offshore but the service is only for "Wealthy Individuals".
I tried HSBC in the UK but they said no. I didn't try their offshore website though. I'll try that next & Lloyds.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » December 16, 2013, 8:31 am

Hi,
I have a LloydsTSB-offshore account in the Isle of Man, I had to have a Manx address so I used my daughters. My pensions get paid by the Manx Government. Been using this since 2005, out here, with no trouble, If you do this, make sure you get the bank to transfer the money, each month, to your Thai account, in Sterling. Or it will cost you a lot, using a ATM.
Have a look at their website at lloydstsb-offshore,com, The problem is that no banks will send a Debit or Credit card to a address outside the Island. I tried to do this, this year. Checked with other banks on the Island and all had the same policy,
Cheers Doug.

Arosolius
udonmap.com

Post by Arosolius » December 16, 2013, 4:40 pm

Thanks Douglas

You say you used your daughter's address but is the account in your name or hers and did you open it from here in Thailand?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”