The 3G Comparison Thread.

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 28, 2013, 7:56 am

After getting over my 3G commissioning problems I thought it would be interesting to compare service providers, products and speed.

Our 'largish' village is some 100km N.E. of Udon and has 3 service providers now:
DTAC-3G
AIS-3G
TrueMove-H (CAT) - The one I'm using with a 95% signal strength.

My package is 599 Baht - 30 Days - 2 GB high speed then unlimited 384 Kb/Sec. For 150 Baht a time I can get an additional 1 GB of high speed. I rate their emailed customer service at 9/10 and 1331 phone service at 7/10 - only because several operators speak way too fast, in their 'pigeon' English, for my olde brain to process.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Using this site I carried out 6 speed tests over 3 days and averaged.
Ping = 39.33ms
Download = 10.37 Mb/Sec
Upload = 3.75 Mb/Sec

How does this compare with your service?

Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » December 28, 2013, 8:15 am

Hi,
Can not understand why LOS is still on 3G. Back home on an Island with only a population of 80K we are on, this year, 5G. I must say that about 12 or so years ago China ask our government to use our sat. Tx and Rx station to test their Sat. systems. U.K.. refused them, as did so many other countries. For this they promised us the latest system as soon as it came out. And they kept this promise.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 28, 2013, 9:31 am

According to wikipedia, 5G is unlikely to be introduced anywhere in the world until 2020. :shock:
................some sources suggest that a new generation of 5G standards may be introduced approximately in the early 2020s. However, still no transnational 5G development projects have officially been launched, and there is still a large extent of debate on what 5G is exactly about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » December 28, 2013, 9:37 am

I can not understand, that you can not understand - it is all about money to own pocket and power - 2/3 off what it cost going to own pocket - it is therefore we have all these demostrations in bangkok - all about power and money

but we should be happy, that we now have 3G - this took long time

and a speed og 10mb is ok

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » December 28, 2013, 1:15 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:After getting over my 3G commissioning problems I thought it would be interesting to compare service providers, products and speed.

Our 'largish' village is some 100km N.E. of Udon and has 3 service providers now:
DTAC-3G
AIS-3G

My package is 599 Baht - 30 Days - 2 GB high speed then unlimited 384 Kb/Sec. For 150 Baht a time I can get an additional 1 GB of high speed. I rate their emailed customer service at 9/10 and 1331 phone service at 7/10 - only because several operators speak way too fast, in their 'pigeon' English, for my olde brain to process.

Ping = 39.33ms
Download = 10.37 Mb/Sec
Upload = 3.75 Mb/Sec

You cannot compare until you also say which location (city) you are connecting with - note, no good using BKK !
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » December 28, 2013, 2:05 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:After getting over my 3G commissioning problems I thought it would be interesting to compare service providers, products and speed.

DTAC-3G
AIS-3G

Ping = 39.33ms
Download = 10.37 Mb/Sec
Upload = 3.75 Mb/Sec

1 GB top up on true will cost you 350 plus vat Not 150, I have the same and now have 5Gb for 899 as 2GB not enough for me,

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 28, 2013, 3:02 pm

kubotatim wrote: 1 GB top up on true will cost you 350 plus vat Not 150, I have the same and now have 5Gb for 899 as 2GB not enough for me,
Sorry your wrong! *900*8903# 150 Baht 1 GB see here:-

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... ers%2F2395

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 28, 2013, 3:08 pm

joepai wrote: You cannot compare until you also say which location (city) you are connecting with - note, no good using BKK !
Why not and what difference does it make? The web site pings for the best test server location.

It would be just useful for those using 3G to run the test and post the results - not hard. Members considering joining 3G can form their own decisions based on information from this thread.

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » December 28, 2013, 3:28 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
kubotatim wrote: 1 GB top up on true will cost you 350 plus vat Not 150, I have the same and now have 5Gb for 899 as 2GB not enough for me,
Sorry your wrong! *900*8903# 150 Baht 1 GB see here:-

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... ers%2F2395
No you are wrong I was doing this for several months and for a computer it costs 350 plus vat for 1 GB

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 28, 2013, 3:41 pm

kubotatim wrote: No you are wrong I was doing this for several months and for a computer it costs 350 plus vat for 1 GB
Well you do it your way and I'll do it mine - for my desktop PC and/or notebook it is 150 Baht, OK, + VAT.

What package do you subscribe to? Mine is a 'recurring' prepaid. If it is not recurring may be different.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 28, 2013, 4:34 pm

I have just seen it. You are topping up from your "H Life" personal activity site AND NOT researching the options open to you! All a learning curve here in Thailand, been stung but it will heal! :-"

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » December 28, 2013, 5:02 pm

Mine is post paid and I pay it at the same time as my tv package and I get 5Gb and unlimited wifi for 899 plus vat and I am very pleased with it. so much better than the old edge.

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » December 28, 2013, 5:28 pm

10 replies over 9 hours and not a single test result to compare with.....it must be frustrating.... :confused: lol.

P.S. I am in England before anyone asks.... :lol: :lol:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 28, 2013, 5:49 pm

Well I live in town.
However that means that I can easily satisfy all my phone data requirements via wi-fi.
I am on a call only SIM so no data package needed.

I do think that the idea of this thread is a good one though & hope that some more speed comparisons & prices are posted by others..

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 28, 2013, 6:28 pm

Wouldn't a 3G speed test be dependent on the strength of the cell-tower signal....and the number of users against that signal? In bd's case, he's got a strong signal and probably not a lot of village competition for the signal (as compared to a larger city).
We're on the edge of our AIS 3G signal......sometimes it's reasonably strong, other times weak. We live a few km from the tower. Lucky for us, we've got a respectable TOT line.
As an aside, we recently went to an island off of Trang in the southern part of Thailand. We expected it to be an opportunity for our daughter to get away from work for a few days while in country. Not so......there was a strong 3G signal around the entire island....even a km or two off-shore. To the delight of our daughter. She was usually up at 5AM sipping coffee in the resort's beach-side restaurant.....blasting away at her keyboard and staying in touch with her office. She was a happy camper.

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » December 29, 2013, 1:31 am

Such a test makes zero sense. It would be the same as when testing 3BB cable all over Udon. Depending on where you are connected to it will give completely different results.

That said I think that the three providers in your '100 km ne from Udon' area (you must be in Laos...) all use the same transmitters/antennas, and you use the same service just under different names then. Like years ago when everything had been TOT. It took some years until 3BB and True had their own networks spreaded over town. It makes no sense out there in the boonies to build up the same expensive hardware several times for a handful of costumers.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 29, 2013, 8:44 am

Techland wrote:Such a test makes zero sense. It would be the same as when testing 3BB cable all over Udon. Depending on where you are connected to it will give completely different results.

That said I think that the three providers in your '100 km ne from Udon' area (you must be in Laos...) all use the same transmitters/antennas, and you use the same service just under different names then. Like years ago when everything had been TOT. It took some years until 3BB and True had their own networks spreaded over town. It makes no sense out there in the boonies to build up the same expensive hardware several times for a handful of costumers.
"Makes no sense" You do know where you are!

The idea is to let people know what they can expect in certain areas around Udon, trying to find location coverage is a non event on the service providers web sites. Why is it so hard to run the test and post the result?

I'm about 35km South East of the Mekong - N17.8099deg E103.3247deg. We have 3 separate towers, DTAC is about 1.5km to the West of my home, AIS and CAT share a very large tower 3.0km to the N.E. and TOT is about 7 km South. They have their own hardware and fibre optic infrastructure. I'm looking out my window here and can count 8 fibre optic cables on the power poles.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 29, 2013, 8:56 am

kubotatim wrote:Mine is post paid and I pay it at the same time as my tv package and I get 5Gb and unlimited wifi for 899 plus vat and I am very pleased with it. so much better than the old edge.
If I were you I'd call 1331 and ask them how you can use the *900*8903# option and save yourself 200 Baht every time you require additional bandwidth.

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » December 29, 2013, 9:41 am

I used to only have the 2 GB package but now with 5 GB I will not require any more top ups, I hope, Many Thanks.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 30, 2013, 4:21 pm

Well a pox on the lot of you! Thanks for nothing!
Tomorrow I'm taking my notebook and AirCard around to several friends who have asked me if they can or at least get some sort of signal so as they can make an informative decision whether to subscribe or not. Too bad for the other members in other locations.

AND, NO thanks to the likes of @Techland (how do you qualify for that tag?) who, through his/her infinite wisdom, think this thread is a waste of time.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”